Search for content in message boards

Merritt/Marriott DNA Project

Replies: 2

Merritt/Marriott DNA Project

Posted: 21 Apr 2007 12:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Merritt, Marriott
We at the Marriott/Merritt DNA Project want to identify all of our major North American families by DNA and immigrant. This will set the stage for identifying and connecting to the ancient families. To do this, we need further participation from all lines.

Currently in the project, we have:
North Carolina Merritts: well covered (at least four major haplogroups)
Thomas Merritt of Rye NY family: awaiting results
Virginia Colonials: Essex and Surry County Merritts (two haplogroups)

Notably missing are descendants of the following families:
Henry Merritt of Scituate
Kent and Cecil Co MD Merritts
Virginia: Major William Marriott’s descendants
Canadian Merritts

It grows clear that our ancient families are NOT all related by DNA. These findings will significantly impact follow on research. JOIN us and help identify these ancestors!

Thanks to the Thomas of Rye Merritts for this focus!

MERRITT DNA IN THE NEWS

Merritt/Marriott, E3b Haplogroup – updated results show that our Most Recent Common Ancestor was probably living closer to 1500 in Long Clawson, Leicestershire England, rather than 1600s Virginia where we were looking. Findings from the I1c Haplogroup have also eliminated some early Merritts as relations to us, thus simplifying our effort.

Merritt/Marriott, I1c Haplogroup – newly examined DNA results shed light on this ancient family of Marriotts, which may originate out of Northampton shire England. One of the surprises of these findings is that Edward Merritt of Essex VA/Stokes NC belongs to this Haplogroup, and not to the E3b family that he lived near in Virginia.

Please contact me, or JOIN us!
Mike Merritt - outlndr@msn.com (E3b Merritt)
Project Home Page: http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/m/merritt/
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
outlndr 21 Apr 2007 6:51PM GMT 
lovebrenda 9 Jul 2007 8:16AM GMT 
outlndr 10 Jul 2007 12:25PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic