Search for content in message boards

Name Change From Hartwick To Meyer, Germany 1800's

Replies: 3

Name Change From Hartwick To Meyer, Germany 1800's

Posted: 11 Apr 2011 1:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Meyer, Kruse, Hartwick
There is an old legend in my Meyer family that long ago in Germany, someone with the last name of Hartwick (or any variation of that spelling) changed their last name to Meyer. A few years ago I read a very helpful post here by a German man, that in the mid 1800's in Germany, it was common that if a not-so-rich man married a woman who stood to be her family's heiress, that he might take on her name instead of using his. (I hope I've explained that correctly.) This would be the right time period, and a good explanation for what may have happened in my family.

My last know Meyer is my gr-gr-grandfather, Christian Meyer, 04 Feb 1837 (Germany) - 12 Oct 1921, Missouri. He married Annie Kruse in Morgan County, Missouri. I believe it may have been his father who may have done the name-change, if it was done at all. I see a Christian Meyer on the passenger list of immigrants of the E. F. Gabain ship from Bremen, Germany to New Orleans, LA, in Nov 1858. Reading on a website of the history of Morgan County, many of these immigrants were headed to Cole Camp, in Morgan County, MO, so this may also have been him.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has this crazy story passed down to them in their family, too. Thanks for any help.

~The Bewildered Mary Lee H.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lavenderblue5... 11 Apr 2011 7:13AM GMT 
lobowillis 18 Jun 2011 9:56PM GMT 
joanmeyer58 22 Jan 2012 3:57AM GMT 
lavenderblue5... 24 Jan 2012 11:48AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic