Search for content in message boards

Samuel Miller and Rosanna McDonald, Defiance County Ohio

Replies: 0

Samuel Miller and Rosanna McDonald, Defiance County Ohio

Posted: 22 Jun 2012 6:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Miller, Donalds, McDonald
I am looking for information on Samuel Miller, born abt 1812, lived after 1847 in Defiance County, Ohio. According to the 1850 and '60 censuses he was born in Ohio. A biography of his eldest son Jonas in Personal History of Milford Township says Samuel was born in Pennsylvania. Jonas's biography says Jonas was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. We know that from at least 1837 to 1847, Samuel and Rosanna and their family lived in Tuscarawas County.

One family story gives Rosanna's last name as "Donalds." The birth record of their youngest son Joseph, born 1857, gives her surname as "Mc Donnald." This couple is NOT the Samuel B. and Rosanna Miller who ended up in Elkhart, Indiana. Gravestones in a cemetery near Hicksville, Defiance County, Ohio, show that Samuel died 30 Oct 1864, while Rosanna passed away 02 Dec 1864.

The family tree I got from a distant relative said Samuel's parents were Henry Miller (b: 11 Apr 1782 in Pennsylvania, d: 02 Jun 1862 in Defiance County, OH) and Elizabeth Herron (b: 11 Nov 1783 in Pennsylvania, d: 07 Aug 1860 in Defiance County, OH). I have seen no records linking Samuel to these parents, nor any records for the dates given. In fact, I found a marriage record from Tuscarawas County, Ohio for a Henry Miller and an Elizabeth Herron, but the marriage took place 22 Feb 1822, a decade too late for them to be Samuel's parents.

Any help would be appreciated. The link to Tuscarawas County seems likely. I do know that most of the Millers who moved to Tuscarawas County in the early 1800s were Mennonites. I don't know if that might help. On the other hand, two of Samuel's sons fought in the Civil War (which is not something pacifists Mennonites did). Perhaps Samuel left the Mennonite Community, prompting his move to Defiance County...???

Thanks all for your thoughts!

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions