Search for content in message boards

Matthew Mitchell 1742-1823

Replies: 0

Matthew Mitchell 1742-1823

Posted: 14 Feb 2007 2:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mitchell, Ritchie, Gill
I'm looking for a little bit of help here and hoping someone out there can provide it. Matthew Mitchell, born 1742 in England, died May 1823, Guernsey County, Ohio, served as a private under Captain Andrew Lynn in the Westmoreland County Militia, married ________ Ritchie, children Matthew married Elizabeth Wylie, Janet/Jane married David Findley. This is information from the DAR ancestor search and shows Matthew Mitchell as Ancestor# A080632.
Some additional information I have found is that his wife was Mary Ritchie, daughter of Matthew Ritchie. Matthew Mitchell also had brothers Alexander who was an attorney and Ebenezer. Matthew Mitchell lived in SE PA, then moved to Elizabeth Twp., Allegheny Co., PA prior to his move to Ohio. I have found a will abstract for Matthew's brother, Ebenezer, showing Ebenezer's wife to be Jean Ritchie, another daughter of Matthew Ritchie. This is from Allegheny Co., PA, but shows Ebenezer as a resident of Westmoreland Co., PA (next door). I also found a will abstract for Matthew Ritchie listing 14 children and a wife. There is no maiden name for the wife, but married daughters are shown with their husbands' names also. If anyone is interested in either of those, please let me know and I will post.
Matthew Mitchell and Mary Ritchie also had a daughter, Agnes, baptized 26 Sep 1771 by Rev. John Cuthbertson. I believe that she was my third great grandmother, having married Ebenezer Gill, son of John Gill (also served in the Revolution) and Jane Shaw. The Gills lived in Versailles Twp., Allegheny Co., PA in 1790 and after. I know Ebenezer Gill married an Agnes (Agness on her tombstone) Mitchell, but I have no concrete proof that his wife was the daughter of Matthew Mitchell and Mary Ritchie. It's the right time in the right place with the right name. I can even trace the names of Ebenezer and Agness Mitchell Gill's children to being either in the Gill, Shaw, Mitchell or Ritchie families.
I am sure Matthew Mitchell and Mary Ritchie had other children as well. The DAR ancestor search only shows the two, and I have only found christening records for Agnes and Janet/Jane in Rev. Cuthbertson's records.
If anyone can help with this, I would be most grateful as would a few other people who descend from Ebenezer Gill and Agness Mitchell. Thank you!
Mary Lou

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions