I wrote a series of family history stories for the Halifax County family history book. I'm posting them here in the hopes that they will help someone and that they will generate interest in these lines.
Anderson Moore of Halifax County
Anderson Moore born before 1770, died Feb. 16, 1839 in Halifax County first appears in Halifax County on the tax list in 1806. His wife is Mildred Ford and they were married in 1787 in Amelia County. Anderson's father is James Moore who died in 1772 with a will in Amelia County, wife Mary.
While Anderson Moore seems like it would be a unique name, it is not. There is another Anderson Moore who is associated with Halifax County.
Anderson Moore of Mecklenburg County was born in 1786 in Mecklenburg County and died in Halifax County in 1852. His parents were George and Milly (or
Nelly) Moore and he should not be confused with Anderson Moore who lived on Polecat Creek on Mountain Road near Mt. Vernon.
Anderson Moore purchased 136 acres of land in 1807 on Polecat Creek from the Fargusons and Daniel Easley, a name that is associated with the Daniel Moore family as well. This land is very close to the land owned by James Moore (wife Mary Rice) where the Mt. Vernon Baptist Church stands today, so I initially believed these families were related, but DNA testing has proven that they do not share a common ancestor, even though they do share a common geographic location.
In 1822 Anderson purchases more land on Miry Creek, and then in 1834 he sells 22 7/8 acres to Rawley Moore. Rawley Moore is the orphan of Thomas Moore and Mary Baker who married in 1798. Thomas died around 1804 when his two sons, William and Raleigh were bound out as orphans. This transaction led us to believe that these two gentlemen were related, but the descendants of Rawley Moore participated in DNA testing and they match the James Moore (Mary Rice) line, not Anderson's line. The acreage amount is odd as well, and only equals a "normal" acreage amount when multiplied by 4 (91.5) or 8 (183), so this looks like an estate distribution.
In 1839, Anderson dies and his estate is probated with his son as executor.
His children are as follows:
* Wilmoth probably born about 1782 married John Kerby in 1802
* Philip W. H. was born before 1790. He is on the tax list in 1817
and in the census in 1830. In 1850 there is a Philip Moore in Saline Missouri born in Va.
* Nancy born 1786 married in 1807 to Joel Tucker. She died in 1859 in
* Mary born about 1790 married in 1807 to Robert Younger.
* Martha born before 1800 married in 1818 to Robert Juniel.
* William D. born in 1809 married in 1832 to Jemima Carr.
* Susannah married a Griffin.
* Woodlief "Woody" was born in 1815 and died in 1854. He married
* Sarah O. born 1820 is single in 1839.
* James E. (there are two James E. Moores in Halifax during this
* Lucy born about 1800 married Thomas Juniel in 1820.