Search for content in message boards

Two Thomas Jefferson O'Neal Morrison men in southeast Missouri?

Replies: 1

Two Thomas Jefferson O'Neal Morrison men in southeast Missouri?

Posted: 7 Nov 2010 7:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Morrison, Bogliolo, Block, Helderman, Link, Tolbert, Welty
I’m confused, which my wife would argue is my normal state.

Were there two southeast Missouri men named Thomas Jefferson O’Neal Morrison?

I have T.J.O. Morrison (b. ~1815; d. ?), whose life in Missouri appears to have centered on New Madrid County. He is reported to have married Mary Caroline Bogliolo, a daughter of Matteo Bogliolo and Susan (Block) Bogliolo, and granddaughter of early New Madrid County merchant Etienne Bogliolo. Louis Houck, in Volume 2 of his “A History of Missouri from the Earliest Explorations and Settlements until the Admission of the State into the Union,” describes this T.J.O. Morrison as “for many years senator from New Madrid district.”

This was his household in New Madrid County in 1850:

Dwelling 357

MORRISON T.J.O. 35 Male MO Merchant $500*
MORRISON Carolin 28 Female MO
MORRISON Maria L. 8 Female MO
MORRISON Virginia 6 Female MO
MORRISON Mary J. 4 Female MO
MORRISON Carolin 1 Female MO
TOLBERT Julia 15 Female MO
BOGLIOLO Rodolph 23 Male MO Merchant**

I also have T.J.O. Morrison (1826-1884), reported to be a son of James O. Morrison and Eva (Helderman) Morrison. He married Matilda Link. His life appears to have centered on Cape Girardeau County.

This was his household in Cape Girardeau County in 1850:

MORRISON Thomas J. 23 Male MO Farmer $200
MORRISON Matilda 23 Female MO
WELTOR Lavina 33 Female NC***

Were the two T.J.O. Morrison men related? If so, how?

Was Susan (Block) Bogliolo related to the Block family of Cape Girardeau City? If so, how?

St. Louis journalist, civic leader, and abolitionist Isidor Bush (1822-1898), who chronicled the early history of St. Louis’ Jewish community, was quoted in the first volume of University of Missouri-St. Louis professor and historian Walter Ehrlich’s “Zion in the Valley: The Jewish Community of St. Louis” as calling the Blocks “the most numerous Jewish family that settled west of the Mississippi River.”

Regards from Virginia,

Clete

*I believe this T.J.O. Morrison, in addition to serving in the Missouri Senate, was also a member of the Mississippi River Commission. Its records report his birthplace as Louisiana and place of residence as New Madrid County, Missouri.

**Rodolph Bogliolo was Caroline (Bogliolo) Morrison’s brother. By 1870, Rudolph M. Bogliolo (43, b. MO) was a placer miner in Plumas County, California. His whereabouts in 1860 have escaped me. He was still in Plumas County in 1880.

***She was Lavina Welty, not Weltor. Lavina Welty (aged 48) was still resident in T.J.O. Morrison’s Cape Girardeau County household in 1860. I understand she was a sister of Matilda (Link) Morrison’s father Daniel Link and thus Matilda’s aunt.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
CleteRamsey 8 Nov 2010 2:45AM GMT 
LindaCashenGa... 9 Apr 2013 9:31AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic