Search for content in message boards

Possible Iredell County, NC --> Cherokee County, AL connections

Replies: 0

Possible Iredell County, NC --> Cherokee County, AL connections

Posted: 24 Feb 2013 11:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm a descendant of Andrew Morrison of Cherokee County, AL. I now believe him to be a grandson--through William--of the "Miller William" Morrison, who had a mill on Third Creek in Iredell County, NC in 1852 and claimed to be the first [white] inhabitant of those parts.

I would like to find out more about his son, William, who died in 1822, but I don't know where he died or where he is buried.

John H. Morrison (I), whom I believe to be the son of William (d. 1822), was already living in Cherokee County, AL, with a woman about his age, by 1840, and probably earlier. He served in the Alabama Militia for the Creek and Florida (Seminole) Wars, and was awarded a total of 160 acres of Bounty Land in Cherokee County for his service.

By 1850, the following households were living in Cherokee County:

John H. 44 (b. NC)
Mary 30 (b. GA)
Emily 10, Mary 8, Elizabeth 6, and Amanda 2, all born in AL

Andrew 43 (b. NC)
Elizabeth 43 (b. NC)
Mary 18 (b. NC)
James 13 and John H.(II)10 (b. TN)
Andrew 4 (b. AL)

[Andrew--and household members consistent with the above--appear on the 1840 Census in Bradley County, TN, shortly after the Trail of Tears led the Cherokee Indians from that area.]

This is the household that intrigues me the most:

Mary Morrison 75 (b. NC)
Elizabeth 50 (b. NC)
Manerva 38 (b. NC)

Now I have traced Manerva through a few other censuses, and I believe she had married a man named J. Knight by 1870, was widowed and was living with her nephew George-- John H.(I)'s later son--in 1880. Unless she was an honorary aunt or actually a cousin, that would make her John H. and Andrew's sister.

But I do not know yet what happened to Elizabeth or Mary, or where any of the three of them fit into the family. I had believed that Mary was the mother of John H., Andrews, Elizabeth, and Manerva, but I have no proof. If a third wife of William, she may have been a stepmother to the older children. If Manerva was a sister, she would have been born just about the time that William died. Noted that William had a daughter named Sarah, and Manerva may have been Sarah Manerva, but Sarah is reported to have died in 1836, and Manerva lived until at least 1880.

And honestly, I don't even have proof that John H. and Andrew were brothers.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions