Search for content in message boards

Looking for relatives of George Mauss/Maus/Mouse killed at Ft. Seybert, Pendleton, VA, now WV in 1858

Replies: 2

Looking for relatives of George Mauss/Maus/Mouse killed at Ft. Seybert, Pendleton, VA, now WV in 1858

Posted: 8 Feb 2007 7:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
George Maus/Mauss/Mouse may be my GGGGGGrandfather who was also killed in the French and Indian Wars, but we don't know my GGGGGGrandfather's name or if he and George were the same person.

My family lore speaks of a son and daughter, who were both recovered, but the Indians evidently took the girl back. The son was my ggggggrandfather William Tankard Maus b. abt. 1752 who worked for the Dutch trader (Henry Van Schaack) who bought him back and then settled in Herkimer Co., NY. He went by the name Tankard since he was bought back with a silver tankard.

The George Maus/Mauss Mouse family lore says the daughter Elizabeth was taken by the Indians in Pittsburgh, PA seven years after the Massacre at Ft. Seybert in 1758. and the stories are remarkably the same, except there is no mention of a son. This same Elizabeth married Frederick Hevener abt. 1767. All of the info I've found on George, his brother Frederick and Elizabeth is on Ancestry.com.

The coincidence of having another Mouse/Maus killed in the wars is pretty strong, plus my recent DNA test results at FamilyTreeDNA.com shows a close match (24/25)to two Mouse testees at www.smgf.com, which is another DNA testing organization. If looking at SMGF, go to Search the Y-Database and follow the directions. My results at SMGF aren't posted yet, although there appears to be a couple other unrelated Maus names on file. When my resulted are posted, they will show up as Maus-OK for Oklahoma.

So, I am asking for male direct Mouse or similar surname variations who believe they are related to this George Maus/Mauss/Mouse or his brother Frederick, or possibly other brothers or uncles in the area to get tested for their Y or male DNA results. The smgf test is free and www,Familytreedna.com test prices can be viewed on line. I recommend at least the 37 marker test at FamilyTreeDNa.

If we can get this puzzle resolved, we should be able to link up my Maus family in Canada and New York State to the Maus/Mouse families that appear to be in WV, VA, PA and OH and points further West.

We are also doing a family test on Maus to Morse through FamilyTreeDNA that is linked to the Morse Society, but that's another story.

If anyone is interested in being tested at FamilyTreeDNA, we can probably get a Mouse/Maus family project going for the discount.

Feel free to contact me through this site or directly if there is any interest and you can trace your direct male roots back to this George and/or his family. thanks in advance,
John Maus, Tulsa, OK
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
johnmaus102 9 Feb 2007 2:51AM GMT 
johnmaus102 22 May 2007 6:03PM GMT 
johnmaus102 9 Apr 2008 8:24PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions