Excerpt/Mulkeys of America

Replies: 0

Excerpt/Mulkeys of America

jay notmyrealname (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2006 12:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mulkey, Smith, Shepherd
From "The Mulkeys of America" by Philip Hunt, p 807:
"Here is the genealogical data we have on this family from Frieda L. Friddle Kellie...
Nancy Mulkey m. ...Smith
Elizabeth Smith m. John Shepherd
William Shepherd m. Sally Peters
Elizabeth Shepherd m. Henderson C. Rankin
Thomas Rankin m. Martha Strong
Sarah E. Rankin m. Bert Friddle
Howard Friddle m. Vaneda Mullens
Frieda Friddle m. James Kellie
My direct ancestor is Nancy Mulkey, a full blooded Cherokee, from either Virginia or North Carolina. I estimate that Nancy was born somewhere around 1765. I can't prove any of this, however.
Thomas' [Thomas J. Rankin] parents were Henderson Clark Rankin and Elizabeth Shepherd, born in 1822, in Murrey County, Tenn., and in 1826 in either Alabama or Arkansas. They were married before 1856. She died in 1863, shortly after childbirth. They had five or more children. She is buried near Alma, Ark., what is known as Frog Bayou.
Elizabeth's parents were William and Sarah Peters Shepherd, born 1807, Alabama, and 1810, in Tennessee. They married in the 1820s perhaps and had 12 children. I have no other information on Sarah's family. William Shepherd was a minister and was killed by bushwackers in 1862. He and many members of the famiy are buried in the Bidville, Ark., Cemetery on Shepherd Mountain of the Boston Range. His father was John Shepherd, known as "Old Jack." He was born about late 1780 and married Elizabeth Smith. They were married around 1800 and had four children that there are records of.

Now, Elizabeth's mother was Nancy Mulkey and the researcher stated that she was a full bloded Cherokee. But, as of this date, I have never received proof of this. It is believed that this is a fact passed down via oral history. Old Jack brought his sons and daughter from Alabama about 1828. They came by flatboat up the Tennessee, Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, to the Arkansas River and poled their way up that river to Frog Bayou. Their younger children went back to Alabama before 1830, as they are listed in the U.S. Census of Madison County of that year. They came from Jackson County, Alabama, from an area north of Marshall County. This area was given to Marshall County when it was frmed in 1836.

About 1840 Old Jack Shepherd with other family members settled near Mountainburg, Arkansas. Parts of Shepherds land is now Lake Fort Smith. However, many of his descendants still live on Shepherds Mountain, Crawford County, and in other areas of the county."

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions