Search for content in message boards

Muller Family in South Africa

Replies: 7

Muller Family in South Africa

Posted: 15 Jan 2012 7:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Muller, Naude
Hi,
I'm trying to find more about the Muller family that moved to the Free State in South Africa, with hopes of connecting them back to the Muller family father Michael Muller as below. I have pretty much exhaused my knowledge and web-searching etc, What I have is the following:

The following research was written originally in Afrikaans by my Oupa [grandfather] Pieter Hendrik Muller who was born 22 Nov 1908 in Clocolan, Free State, South Africa and died 4 May 1994 in Potgietersrus, Northern Province, South Africa. My mother Velma Audrey Angus (nee Muller) translated it to English and it was converted to electronic form by myself (Jeff Angus). The additions in the square brackets “[ ]” were added for clarity.

------

There came out of Germany about 20 Family Fathers, most of them had very small families or died [out]. Most of the Muller family were direct descendants of Michael Muller. In 1735 Michael [sometimes Antonie Michael] Muller came out from Merscheid or Miskudde in Germany. His ship was called ‘Hildaconda’ which belonged to the Dutch East India Company . He was a soldier and landed in Capetown.

From the 9th Jan 1740 to 16th Jan 1745 he was a servant to A. Berg. In 1745 he became a full citizen.
On the 4th May 1746 at Roodezand of Tulbach he got married to Adrianna Van Rooyen. They settled in the Swellendam. He died 19th July 1768.

Antonie Michael [as above] had 11 children; 3 sons and 8 daughters. The son’s names were Hilgard, Cornelius Johannes and Michael Arnoldus.

Family father Michael’s 2nd son Cornelius Johannes was born 10 Sept 1748. He married Susanna Elizabeth Ferreira. They had 11 children.
Their eldest [?] son Antonie Michael married Aletta Marie Potgieter. Nothing is known [to me] how many children they had, but after his death on 21st Jan 1843, that his sons in 1850 divided up a portion of the farm [Welbedacht], which consisted of 399 parcels (Erf) which they [that followed] called ‘Walmer’.
Of Antonie Michael’s and Hilgard’s descendants nothing is known [to me].

Of the Mullers that moved to the Freestate, I think that they were our family. Not much is known of the Muller trekkers. It makes me wonder that the names like Sarel, Daniel, Fransios and James didn’t appear and yet these four names are the names of my own uncles. What I can remember is that my father Cornelius Johannes Andries had a farm called Kildare in the Maclear district and later in Winburg, Marquard and Clocolan.

[My] Oupa Pieter Hendrik Muller farmed in the Excelsior district on ‘Altona’. He later moved to Kopjes [Koppies, Free State?] where he died on 2nd July 1932.
[My] Ouma Chatrina [Catharina? Maria Magdalena] Muller died on 19th July 1938 in Bloemfontein. She was a Naude. Her father was Sarel. She had a brother Andries and two sisters Miemie and Dorie.
My father [Cornelius Johannes Andries Muller 24 Dec 1884 - 2 Oct 1953] was the eldest of Pieter Hendrik Muller’s children. The other children were Cornelius, Sarel, Daniel, Kitty, Sarah, Betty, Christian, Antonie, Fransios and James.
[My] Oupa’s Family lived in Clocolan, where they were buried. All the children moved away from Clocolan except Johannes (Hansie)[Coenraad Muller born 30 Sep 1910], who still farms there [as at the time of writing].

[Short section on living descendants omitted for privacy reasons]

As I have exhausted all my knowledge and Web searches,I hope that other Muller / Naude researchers may have come across these families and would appreciate any info' that may shed some light on them.

Thanks,
Jeff Angus
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
JeffreyPeterA... 15 Jan 2012 2:10PM GMT 
ALETTACF 13 Oct 2012 7:04PM GMT 
JeffreyPeterA... 27 Feb 2013 2:52AM GMT 
dawnmarcus_1 21 Mar 2013 9:24PM GMT 
JeffreyPeterA... 27 Mar 2013 10:14AM GMT 
dawnmarcus_1 28 Mar 2013 6:17PM GMT 
dawnmarcus_1 3 Apr 2013 8:44PM GMT 
ALETTACF 1 May 2013 12:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions