Search for content in message boards

early virginia murray research

Replies: 0

early virginia murray research

Posted: 30 May 2003 2:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Feb 2005 6:37PM GMT
the following information was researched by mr. frank murray and is posted with frank's approval. his willingness to share his work is sincerely appreciated.

questions must be directed to frank at FGMURRAY@AOL.COM.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS TO ME, THIS MESSAGE BOARD or the rootsweb list. thank you allen murray, murray list/board administrator

MURRAY LINE--CAROLINE CO., VIRGINIA
Frank Murray, 107 Ivylea Dr. Forest, Va. 24551--FEBRUARY 12, 1997
My oldest known relative is Mark Murray who was born in Caroline Co. Va. in 1760 (Rev. War pension application). His name has been spelled Murray, Murrah, and Merry. the known information on him is his oldest known son was named William and next was Jacob. The Jacob name has been suggested by only one person, an Englishman , I think, that this may be a French Dutch or German instead of Scottish due to the Jacob name which in English in early 1700's was referring to as someone who carried a ladder (thief). All others think he is Scottish and I agree. He had several dgts.
Mark paid taxes in 1782-87 for himself and for Nicholas in caroline in the mid 1780's as Nicholas was destitute by 1774. He MAY have been in the mercantile business, but am not positive. Mark moved to Hanover County in the 1780's and was also on the 1780's Hanover tax list along with William, Samuel, Ann, Thomas & Elizabeth.
Another key other that Marks sons named William and Jacob, is that Williams son was named Mark Samuel Murray. I do not know the oldest Mark's middle name, but the name Samuel stayed in the family for over another hundred years. A Samuel was in Hanover Co. with Mark and Samuel shows up in Caroline Co. also.
MY CHALLENGE IS TO FIND MARKS FATHER WHO I THINK MAY BE NAMED WM. AS MARK NAMED HIS OLDEST SON WILLIAM, BUT NICHOLAS IS POSSIBLE. KEY POSSIBILITIES ARE:
1. WM. FROM CAROLINE WHO HAD BROTHER THOMAS, JAMES AND DAVID JR. DAVID SR. WAS MARRIED IN MIDDLESEX IN 1717 AND MOVED TO KING WM IN 1724. HE THEN EITHER MOVED to CAROLINE OR THAT PART OF KING WM. BECAME CAROLINE WHEN CAROLINE WAS FORMED, IN PART, FROM KING WM. IN 1727.
2. COULD BE FROM NEIGHBORING ESSEX CO. AS A WM WAS THERE AS ADULT IN 1682 AND A GARWIN AS ADULT IN 1730'S. THERE WAS A GAVIN IN CAROLINE TAXES 1782-87. IN ADDITION, THERE IS A CONNECTION WITH EDWARD FROM CAROLINE AND A WM. (I THINK HIS BROTHER) WHO LIVED IN ESSEX-1770'S. SO THERE IS A ESSEX-CAROLINE LINK.
3. A WILLIAM MURRAY WAS IMPORTED INTO MIDDLESEX IN 1685.
4. A WILLIAM AND SAMUEL MURRAY IMPORTED TO NEW KENT IN 1711 & 1713.
5. I HAVE HEARD SOME MURRAY'S FROM NORFOLK CO. MOVED TO CAROLINE AND MIDDLESEX. THIS COULD BE MARKS RELATIVE AND/OR DAVID'S. THIS LINE DATES BACK TO A DAVID ARRIVING IN 1652 IN NORFOLK CO..
6. I KNOW NICHOLAS MURRAY AND MARK WERE KIN AS MARK PAID TAXES FOR HIM IN CAROLINE CO IN 1780'S. ONLY OTHER NICHOLAS WHICH I HAVE FOUND IS ONE TRANSPORTED TO SURRY COUNTY IN 1666 (I THINK THAT IS THE DATE) AND ONE WHO APPEARS IN WEST VA. AROUND 1800. COULD BE A CONNECTION!! A NICHOLAS WAS BUYING LAND IN CASWELL CO. N.C. IN 1790 (JUST SOUTH OF HALIFAX, WHERE MARK SETTLED IN 1792). A NICHOLAS WAS IMPORTED TO SURREY CO. IN 1666.
IF MARKS ANCESTOR WAS DAVID, THE QUESTION IS WHO IS HIS ANCESTOR. POSSIBILITIES ARE:
1. DAVID WAS ON A JACOBITE PRISONER SHIP ARRIVING IN VIRGINIA IN 1716.
2. WAS FROM THE WM. MURRAY IMPORTED TO MIDDLESEX IN 1685
3. WAS FROM THE THOMAS AND SANDERS MURRAY FROM GLOUCESTER WHO ARRIVED C. 1650. I HAVE CONNECTED THE GLOUCESTER MURRAY'S W/ MIDDLESEX THROUGH A WM. OF GLOUCESTER WITNESSING FOR ROBERT OF MIDDLESX IN 1757. THE GLOUCESTER LINE DATES BACK TO 1650'S IN VIRGINIA, AND A DAVID DIES IN GLOUCESTER IN MID 1700'S
4. DAVID IN NORTHUMBERLAND IN LATE 1600'S, HAVE NOT RESEARCHED THIS LINE.
5. DAVID SR. LINE FROM LOWER NORFOLK. ARRIVED C. 1650.

*****IT MAY BE LEFT TO OTHER GENEALOGISTS TO ASCERTAIN MARKS PARENTS!!

ALBEMARLE CO. VA
(DID NOT LOOK UP MUCH)
1. Richard
issue:
Richard Jr. marr'd Judy see FLUVANA CO.
John MurRay was some kin to Richard Sr.

2. Alex-landowner in 1748, when county was formed,so he can be found in a county from which Albemarle was taken.
issue:
Thomas

MISC. INFORMATION
-Alex bought land in 1748, sold land in 1768/9
-Richard and wife Rebecca moved to PRINCE EDWARD CO.
-Richard and Sarah sold land in 1762, 1765 and kin to Richard and Sarah of AMELIA COUNTY?
-Samuel A. Murray (A=Archibald??) se connection of Samuel A and Archibald with 2 different counties.purchased land from Wm. Perry of Amherst Co. in 1800 (1806?) on Hardware River.
-Samuel was in County in 1790 census

AMELIA CO. VA.
(DID NOT LOOK UP MUCH)

TAXPAYERS 1783-'87
-Daniel
-Sarah
-Thomas
-William

WILLS
-Richard-inv
-Sarah-will
-Wm. Sr.--will--Wm. Jr was the exe.
-Rebecca-will

MISC. INFORMATION
-Richard in county for 1790 census
-James of P. George sold land in 1761, James Jr. in county at same time
-A James died in 1764, will was in P. George co. admin.=James and John Murray
-Daniel died in Co. sold land in 1764 and sold land in CHESTERFIELD CO IN 1763
-Ann died in 1800
-Leonard bound out in 1755
-Polly & John bound out (lost date)
-James n Co in 1742 owned land then and was a tithable
-Wm. died in 1797

MISC. MARRIAGES
-Martha marr'd Henry Wood 1814 - witnessed by Ann Murray

1. Nancy Murray
issue
Eliz. marr'd Thomas Bragg 1807

2. William
issue:
Mary marr'd?? in 1808- witness was Thomas Murray

3. Ann Murray
issue:
William (Ann, his mother) sold him land in 1795

4. Daniel marr'd Ruth Drummond (any kin to PR. Edward Daniel?)
* deduced issue:
Thomas marr'd Nancy Hayra (?sp)1788- I think Daniel was a witness
Wm. marr'd Ridley Bevill 1784- Daniel was a witness
Rich'd marr'd Sarah Bevill 1782(check date) Daniel was a witness
Alex. marr'd Lucy Winston(?) 1790 Wm. was a witness
Eliz marr'd Henry Tucker in 1787
* Nicholas-only other Nicholas I've seen in PATRICK CO, NORTHHAMPTOM

CO. and the one Mark pd taxes for in CAROLINE CO. Any kin????
Nicholas was definitely Daniels son.

5. Thomas Murray
ISSUE:
Betsy, who was bound out in 1793

6. Sarah Murray will of 1795-had been marr'd to Richard, who died in 1783-see ALB. CO.
ISSUE:
Branch
Eliz.

BEDFORD CO. VA.

1. Thomas Murray,(b.1758) was brother to David. David died in 1784. David's
David's issue:
David Jr.
Thomas (a Tho's marr'd Susannah Scott in 1785)
Wm.
James
Eliz.-marr'd Moses Harris in 1781

2. William (from Pr. George) was in co. in 1772-he signed his deed "William Murray esq. of Atholbraze family of Murray's"
issue:
Thomas-w/ Wm, his father, owned 10,000 ac. on S side of happy ck.
Margaret-marr'd Wm. Laughon (Lawhorne) 12/21/1829

3. Anthony and Dorothy Murray from Buckingham owned land in 1770 (1850 acres) They sold land to future Pres. Thomas Jefferson.

MISC. MARRIAGES
-Wm. marr'd Polly Adams 6/17/1802
-James marr'd Eliz. Hurt 8/19/1839
a Thomas marr'd Levina Cannon 1787-Also listed in PR. EDWARD COUNTY

MISC. INFORMATION
-David's 4 sons left Bedford in 1785 and moved to WILKS COUNTY GEORGIA
-Thomas applied for Rev. pension in LINCOLN CO GEORGIA in 1832. David S. Murray was with him (I think this was his son).
-Thomas was overseer of road to the PR. EDWARD line in 1755
-Thomas went to LINCOLN CO. GEORGIA
-*** KEY- Murray's and McMurry's were used interchangeably in county,indicating a possible first or second generation removed from Scotland. This is a problem as I was sure this was the CAROLINE CO MURRAY'S, SO ....????

BUCKINGHAM CO. VA.
(BURNED COURT HOUSE)
TAXPAYERS LIST OF 1782-'87
-Anthony
-Charles

1. Richard Murray's will of 1772 CONNECTION TO CAROLINE CO RICH'D???)
ISSUE:
John-rec'd land from will in CUMBERLAND CO.
Richard-marr'd to Judy___? He rec'd from will the land
he and his dad lived on in Alb. co. land purchased
from Peterfield Trent. THIS PETERFIELD TRENT'S RELATIVE, DIMPLE TRENT B.C. 1890 IN CAMPBELL CO VA.
MARRIED MY GRANDFATHER, LESLIE MURRAY IN LYNCHBURG, VA.
Anthony-Rec'd his father's (richard Sr.) house in BUCKINGHAM CO.
Frances-marr'd Wm. Terrel, lived in CUMBERLAND CO, THEN
MOVED TO CHARLOTTE CO.

-Rich'd 380a. on Branches of George Ck. s. side of Fluvana River march 1764
-Rich'd sold land (183a) in 1765
-Anthony owned land in 1783
-Capt. Anthony Murray lived next to a Baber, same as other anthony, so probably same person.
-Wm. in Co. 1795 - 1801
-Wm. 169A. in 1802. adjoining s. side Fluvania River

MARRIAGES:
Virginia murray b. 1849 in Alb. Co married James Dolan 1866, she was dgt. of Fleming and Mary Murray

Caroline Co., Va.

***THE KEY IS TO FIND MARK MURRAY'S PARENT. MY GUESS IS IT IS EITHER A WM. OR JACOB, THE NAMES OF HIS OLDEST TWO BOYS. AT THE TIME OF HIS BIRTH, I HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING WHO WAS IN THE COUNTY. HOWEVER, FOR THE 1782-'87 CENSUS, THERE WAS ONLY A WM. AND WM. JR. IN THe COUNTY, SO I DEDUCE THIS MAY BE HIS FATHER ANd BROTHER. THERE IS A DAVID MURRAY WITH ISSUE DAVID, THOMAS, JAMES AND WM. I HAVE NO RECORD Of WM. LEAVING, BUT HAVE PROOF THE OTHER THREE BROTHERS LEFT. I KNOW WM. WAS THERE OR AT LEAST OWNED LAND THERE IN 1758. SO, UNLESS HE WAS AN ABSENTEE LANDOWNER, HE MAY WELL BE MARKS FATHER. THE OTHER BEST POSSIBILITY LIES IN ESSEX COUNTY. PLEASE SEE THAT INTRODUCTION FOR DETAILS.
Families

1. Mark Murray- the oldest proved relative. the key is to find his father. He as was born in Caroline Co. in 1760 and was still thee as late as 1784. He was listed as taxpayer in 1782-'87 tax list in caroline and HANOVER COUNTIES. He moved to HALIFAX CO, VA approx 1792, where he died in 1836 Has a Revolutionary Was pension application on file.
Mark 1760 - 1836 married _______?
issue:
William 1785-1856- born probably in Caroline or HANOVER COUNTIES. Marr'd Catherine Mason in PERSON CO N.C. in 1821.
Jacob-1787- post 1850 (?) he was a bachelor in 1736.
Sally
Peggy (Margaret) married Samuel Elam in 1807 in Halifax Lucy
John

2. David Murray married Ann Clark in Middlesx co 7/1717
b.ca.1690 d.1733. Owned 100 A S fork Polecat Creek.
His brother was James Murray. David moved to King Wm. County in 1724 which later became Caroline Co.
Issue:
Ann- b. 1718
James- marr'd frances ?had moved to P EDWARD co late 1750's
Thomas-was in Caroline in 1753, had left & sold Caroline Co. land in 1758
David(2)-was in P.EDWARD when he sold land in Caroline
in 1758.
** WILLIAM- MAY BE THE KEY TO UNLOCKING MARK'S FATHER. HE
WAS STILL IN CAROLINE IN 1758. WAS HE THE WM. AND
WM JR. IN 1782-'87 TAX RECORDS. THE ONLY 2 WM'S
LISTED IN TAX RECORDS.
-in caroline co in 1748 a james, tho's wm. murray orphans of david asked court to choose guardian "in socage" in order to divide david's land. David selected james as guardian in 11748.

-in 1785, in BEDFORD CO, VA. A james, tho's david and wm murray,
sons of David Murray (who had tho's as a brother) left and moved to WILKS CO. GEORGIA. These must be caroline co Murray's, but no proof yet. THEIR NAMES INTERCHANGED SPELLING MCMUURAY AND MURRAY. COULD BE A KEY ON FIRST OR SECOND GENERATION TO U.S.

-key is to find david possible ancestors. some possibilities are:
1. He was Jacobite prisoner who came to Va. in 1716 he would have been indentured probably for 7 years which places his land purchase in 1724 at the right time. His fellow Murrays prisoners to va. were thomas james and william
2. A david murray died in GLOUCESTER in 1768 and I have connected a GLOUCESTER CO Murray TO MIDDLESEX CO. Murray
3. A David was in Northumberland in 1697.

4. David was family name in Norfolk co. but this is probably too far south to be our family, although it is possible.

5. Edward Murrah died 1768 caroline co. William was his exe. was i t David's Wm. or William in ESSEX (if there was one there) as Edward had ties to ESSEX as his widow, Martha Flowers Murray was w/ Wm Murray and his wife Sarah in 1770. KEY: COULD THIS BE THE SAME OR DIFFERENT WILLIAM FROM DAVID'S WM. I FEEL IF MARK MURRAY'S FATHER WAS A WILLIAM IT WAS ONE OF THESE IF THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. The only Wm. I can prove in Caroline is one that probably is David's son.

6. James Murray was already married to Frances____? when they were in court for debt n 1767.

7. Wm brother was Ben (probably) as they were married same day by same Minister. 10/24/1787 by Rev. James Taylor. Wm married Eliz. Alsop and Ben married Molly Carter.

8. Ludowick (Lewis) Murray married Ann______? Lewis died in 1772 in caroline Co
Ludowick was too old or infirm to pay taxes by 1755.
issue:
James (moved to SOUTH CAROLINA)
John- no issue
Charles (NORTH CAROLINA)
George- moved to SOUTH CAROLINA
Thomas-moved to SOUTH CAROLINA
Eliz. married John Jeter of Caroline Co.
Mary-married Ben Glanton
Nancy-married John Glanton
Susannah-married Johathan Glanton
Molly married John Pickett
Littlejohn Jeter (Ludowick's) grandson) sued James Murrah in 1799 over land Ludowick his wife, Ann. The above locations of Ludowick's issue was as they were in 1799.

9. William died 1772/3-
issue: William

A william arrested for gambling in 1736 and 1774/5 and disturbing the peace in 1756. This could not be David's William as he was not an adult n 1736. Could David have had a brother Wm in addition to James? Also the 1774/5 date is after Williams death in 1772/3.
-A Wm. owned land on Mattopony River. This Wm was kin to Thomas & David.
-owned 524 a. near Sparta
-a Wm shipped a 1,000 lbs of tobacco n 1799

10- James Murray, brothers were Samuel Jackson Murray and William I Murray
Sam. J went to Burlington Texas area, and James went to Livingston Ala.
and then macon, Miss. THEIR FATHER WAS SAMUEL MURRAY B 1775.

11. Samuel J b 1775 married Mary ___? see ESSEX CO.
issue:
James- this James or his uncle, James was in LIVINGSTON , ALA. in 1836. Samuel's son , James, died in NOXUMBEE, MISS. in 1869. James married Jane Griggs Thornton (widow of K.H.Thornton.
issue:
James Hope- married Gertrude Mauldin
Samuel- married Julia MacLeod
Ella-never married
Victoria-married Cyrus Thompson
Samuel J Jr.- married twice. his second wife was Ann Broadus of Caroline co. and they moved to Texas in 1850's. One of these two were born n 1817.
Issue:
Eliz. married in 9/11/1837- William Murray=Sur.
female # 2
female # 3
William-
Richard-
Thompson-
Archibald SEE OTHER ARCHIBALD MURRAYS-(RARE NAME)
William b 1799-died 1882 in NOXUMBEE MISS. married Sarah (Sally)
issue:
Louis b. 1833
Ella b. 1835
Susan 1837-1913 married George Ladd-Noxumbee
Walter F. b. 1838-married henrietta Hunter
his obit. says he was buried in his
native soil.
Robinette married Christopher Broadus OF CAROLINE
Betty Ray b.1845-1811 married Nicholas Rogers
One of these women married a Smoot, but not in Noxubee. Had a grandson, Charlie,
lived w/ Geo. and Sue Ladd for a while.
A Rich'd & wife from Texas visited Miss.

12. Richard Murray was married to Sarah___?
was kin to John Murray (john was brother or could be son-John had, I think a Rev. war pension application. PROBABLY WAS KIN TO WM. JAMES,SAMUEL & BEN SEE ESSEX CO. & DEALINGS WITH ALSOPS.
-served on grand juror 1741/2
-1744 grist mill in drysdale parish-known today as jones or ralph
-1745-52 had a tavern
-*** KEY- 6/8/1744 RICHARD AND WIFE SARAH, ACKNOWLEDGED DEED OF RELEASE OF LAND INDENTED TO JACOB JOHNS, WHO WAS SECOND HUSBAND OF JANE CLARK MURRAY. this PLUS THE FACT OF HIS PLANTATION ON POLECAT CREEK, SAME CREEK WHERE DAVID OWNED LAND PROBABLY CONNECTS RICHARD TO DAVIDS FAMILY.

TAXPAYERS IN CAROLINE COUNTY 1782-'87
If one of this are Mark's dad since Mark was still in Co. and born in 1760, I vote for the Wm. as Marks oldest Child was named William. Is this Wm. from ESSEX where a Garwain (Gavin) was in 1735 or David's son William. There is no proof connecting Gavan and Mark.
-Mark Merry
-Nicholas Merry- Nicholas was an adult, in 1774, but Mark paid his taxes, obviously a close relative. Nicholas was declared destitute in 1784. Could this be the same Nicholas in NORTHAMPTON OR PATRICK CO. later?
-Gavain Murray see GARWIN OF ESSEX CO- 1735
-Wm. Murrough Sr.
-Wm. Murrough Jr.
-John Murrough
-Ann Murrough
-David Murrow

MISC. INFORMATION
-A david Murray died in Caroline in 1758.
-Darkus Murray adult i co in 1746
-1768 Martha and Mary Murray bound out by church in Drysdale parish
-John Murrah adult in 1765, 1770
-David=overseer of road in 1733
-James overseer of road in 1759.
-1767 Ed Murray in co. SEE ESSEX AND P. GEORGE FOR CONNECTION
-Wm. Murray overseer of road in 1787
-Mark Murray n county as Plaintiff in 1784
-Martha Murray sued for freedom in 1770
-Eliz. whipped in 1753 for having a bastard child
-some charges against EliZ. dropped in 1755
-James some type of money lender or merchant in 1752
-Thomas appraised estate of Sarah Battayl as it was in Spotsylvania Co.
-Edward Murray was Sur. for Sarah Batyl. KEY DOES THIS CONNECT ED
WITH DAVIDS CLAN AND IF SO ED FROM ESSEX DOES THIS CONNECT DAVID CLAN- THE WILLIAMS ESPECIALLY TO THE ESSEX COUNTY LINE. THERE WAS A WILLIAM AND GAVIN IN ESSEX CO.???????????
-Ed petitioned to run an ordinary in 1749
-Ed was doing business with a Matthew Bogel of Glasgow in 174?

MISC. MARRIAGES
-wm. married Eliz Alsop 10/24/1787 by Rev. James Taylor
-Ben- married molly Carter 10/24/1787 by Rev James Taylor
-Charles m. Frances Beasley 1/6/1829
-Eliz. (related to samuel Murray) m. Rob't wright 6/9/1823
-Frances m. James vaught (Manter??) in 9/6/1823
-Hiram or James m. Mary Longest 9/4/1832 I think James married her and Hiram was Sur.
Samuel J. m. Eliz ___? 10/21/1847
-Wm J. m. sarah sale 5/4/1831 died 1864

-Ann Merry m/ Daniel edwards in 1742 or '44
-Samuel Murrow m. Eliz Toombs 4/16/1802
-Ellen Murray, dgt. of george m. Charles Jones 12/23/1831
-James m. Louis Sale 11/9/1837
other murray marriages
-elle -Henry -Eliz -Frenwweller
-ellen -Nancy -Eliz S

CHARLES CITY CO. VA.
(BURNED COURT HOUSE)

Almost nothing in court house a John and Wm. were there in 1727.

see tax records in 1782-87 for david and wm.

CUMBERLAND CO.VA.

-Rich'd of st. margarites parish , caroline co. bought land 1751 on little muddy creek.
-Robert bought land in 1768
-Rich'd sold land to John in 1760
-John Sr. andwife Jane to John Jr. land in 1852
-1760, Rich'd of Alb. to John of Cumberland land on little muddy creek in 1760
-Rob't in 1774 bought land

MARRIAGES (female)
-Drusilla to Jesee Street 9/22/1818, dgt of John Murray
-Eliz. to Joseoh Phaup 1/26/1839, dgt. of George W. Murray
-Eliz to Wm. bagby 9/25/1786
-Mary to David Hughes 12/18/1788
-Eliz to Wm Hudgins 10/22 (?)/1822
-**Jane to James Weymouth 6/19/1826 dgt of John. Bond=Anthony and John were kin.
-Martha to Rich'd Phillips 1/28/1833 dgt of John Bond=George W. murray
Margaret to Elizah Flippin 10/24/1843

MISC>
John married to Charity in 1791
-John married to Ginny 1804
-John married to Jane, 1821

ESSEX CO. VA. ( & OLD RAPPAHONACK)
***KEY HERE IS A POSSIBLE LINK WITH MY OLDEST PROVED RELATIVE, MARK MURRAY. THERE WERE ONLY A FEW MURRAYS IN CAROLINE CO AT THE TIME OF THE TAX OF 1782-'87, BUT A GAWIN (NOT GAVIN AS IN CAROLINE IN 1780'S) AND WM. WERE TWO OF THEM. I HAVE NO PROF THAT GAVIN WAS RELATED TO MARK, BUT IT IS INTRIGUING THAT A GARWIN (GAVIN IS A NICKNAME FOR THAT) AND WM. WERE IN ESSEX, A NEIGHBOR TO CAROLINE A GENERATION AND THREE PRIOR TO MARKS BIRTH. POSSIBILITIES!!!

MISC. MARRIAGES.
-James marr'd Ann Boulware, dgt of Benjamin Boulware in 1728
-Edward marr'd Martha Flowers, dgt. of Isaac Flowers in 1730
**these are the only two marriages Ii could find in this time frame, so could they be brothers. Also, I ASSUME this Edward is the same Edward later in CAROLINE CO as it is a very unusual Murray name at this time. (the only other on is in this county one generation earlier). Also. when Edward died , a Wm. was his Exe. and his widow went to live with Wm. Murray and wife in ESSEX CO..The name Wm. is common, but it could connect the ESSEX CO. AND CAROLINE CO Murrays.

MISC. INFORMATION.
-Murrow
John died in 1693
Wm was an adult in 1685
Wm. witnessed a will in Parish of Sittenburne in 1682 (4)
*** Garwin was a witness in co. 9/17/1765--Could this eliminate Garwin
being the same one in CAROLINE CO as either Marks brother or father as
Mark was born in 1760.
Murry(ay)
Wm. in county in 1682,'88, & '98
Eliz was adult in 1727
Wm. in Co. 1748
*** Alexander in County 1721 (could tie in GLOUCESTER AND/OR CAROLINE CO.
James and wife in Co in 1727/28
Joyce in co in 1765 & petitioned court in 1767
Margaret imported by Frances Moore in 1705
John Murra died in 1683
Wm. and wife in Co in 1770
-Wm Murray and wife (Sarah) were with Edward Murray's (dec'd of CAROLINE CO), widow, Martha Murray in 1770.

FLUVANA CO. VA.
(DID NOT LOOK UP MUCH)

1. Richard Sr.
ISSUE:
Richard Jr. mar'd to Judy- see ALBEMARLE CO.

2. Richard and wife Judy
issue:
Allen-marr'd Sarah____?

MISC. MARRIAGES
-Murrow:
Benjamin marr'd Margaret Johnson 1845
Mary marr'd James Moore 1852
-Murray:
Richard marr'd Lucy Mills 1797
Samuel marr'd Sally Tillman 1790
Lucy marr'd James Parish 1849
Nancy marr'd Wm. Westbrook 11/1825
Polly marr'd John Cox 1805
Eliz. marr'd John Hurndon 7/17/1816
Hanah marr'd John Hick(ule?) 4/9/1812
Sally marr'd Allen Bond 2/18/1798
Sally marr'd Thomas Moon 3/27/1823
Judith marr'd John Snead 11/15/1813
Wingfield marr'd Thomas Kidd 2/21824
Nancy marr'd John Perkins 11/29/1801

WILLS
-Richard Murray 1785-Inv.
-Samuel A. Muray-1825-Inv

MISC. INFORMATION.
-Samuel Allen Murray and wife Sally witnessed land transfer from ____ & Sarah Murray to Judy Murray (Richards wife)
-Abraham Murray and Martha B (his wife) from Fluvana "bought land in CUMBERLAND COUNTY in 1796 and moved____? "
-Sally and Allen Murray (Allen's wife was Sarah) sold land to Judy Murray, 1801.
-Richard in Co. in 1785
-Samuel A. in co 1825,1836 (must be Sr anD Jr. due to Samuel A. wills in 1825.
(I had a Samuel A. will in 1825 and Samuel A acc't in 1836, better check the death date or Samuel A. Murray).

GLOUCESTER CO. VA.
(BURNED COURT HOUSE)

IMMIGRANTS
-Sanders (confusing, as I have 3 dates, they are:
1--1643 by Capt More Fauteroy by John Hudson
2--10/17/1652 with a Thomas Murray imported by John Hudson
3--12/20/166? imported by John Curtis (Custis?)
-George Murray (START OF THIS LINE?) imported by Mrs. Temperance and Thomas Puryear in 9/15/? see misc info.

LAND GRANTS
-Alexander-11/13/1672-predecessor of MIDDLESEX CO MURRAY'S-POSSIBLE, BUT MIDDLESEX HAD ITS OWN ALEXANDER IMPORTED IN 1676-UNLESS THEY CAM E OVER TWICE TO GET MORE LAND, WHICH SOME PEOPLE DID.

MISC. INFO.
-George and Sarah Murray were in co in 1704
-Rob't in county in 1704 (SEE MIDDLESEX FOR POSSIBLE 1757 CONNECTION). A ROB'T OF GLOUCESTER WAS WITNESS FOR WM. OF MIDDLESEX. CONNECTS TWO COUNTIES????
-Alex. in co in 1671/72
-****David died in 1768 ****KEY: COULD THIS AND ALEX AND THE ROB'T/ WM. 1757 CONNECTION TIE GLOUCESTER, MIDDLESEX AND CAROLINE TOGETHER. BUT WHAT OF IMPORTS TO MIDDLESEX (ALEX. WM. JAMES????)

GOOCHLAND CO. VA
(DID NOT LOOK UP MUCH)

MISC. INFORMATION
-Wm. on tax list 1782-'87
-James bought land there in 2/7/1742 on Bent ck and Appomattox River
-James Marye was adult in co in 1732
-Lawrence murre was adult in co in 1745
-David Murray adult in co in 1753

HANOVER CO. VA.
(BURNED COURT HOUSE)

IMPORTANT MISC. INFORMATION, WHICH I BELIEVES TIES INTO CAROLINE, HALIFAX AND KING GEORGE COUNTIES.
-WILLIAM OWNED LAND THERE IN 1754,1771,1779 Probably not oldest David of Caroline co sons as his son still owned land in Caroline in 1758 when thomas sold his. If he lived elsewhere, and this were Davids son, It would have implications regarding MARK MURRAY'S FATHER. WOULD PLACE HIM WITH ESSEX CO LINE AND NOT CAROLINE/MIDDLESEX LINE.
-John Murrah owned land 1708-1710
-Thos Murray b. ca. 1765-1710
issue:
2 children b/ ca. 1800-1810
-Ann Murray died 1841 in Henrico Co.
issue:
Sarah-marr'd Thomas Austin

VESTRY BOOK OF SAINT PAUL'S PARISH
-John Murray owned land
-Wm. Murray helped processing land
-1850 Ann Murray in Co. was born in 1832 in Ireland
-1820 census+ thomas Murray head of household
issue:
2 males under 16
1 male over 45
1 female under 16
3 females under 26
1 female under 45

TAX RECORDS 1782-1785
-William
issue:
Samuel -was a minor in 1786
-Ann-there in 1787
-Samuel-there in 1793,1801,1809
-Thomas
-Betty (Eliz?)-was there in 1787 and 1801
-Mark (I have him listed, but am not sure where my proof is, but am sure i am correct as his Rev. was pension application shows he was there. He was definitely on CAROLINE CO. tax records during this time, also)
-Samuel murray absentee landowner in 1814. thought to have going to Tenn. owned 87 acres, 7 miles south of the court house.
- c. 1781-84 Wm in co. by himself
-year later. samuel there w a 16 y.o.
-Mark was there throug hat least 1790

HALIFAX CO. VA

Mark Murray (from CAROLINE AND HANOVER COUNTIES) born in Caroline in 1760, moved to Hanover and then moved to Halifax in 1792. He was in court in CAROLINE co. in 1784 paid taxes there for himself and Nicholas 1782-'87 and paid taxes in Hanover during the same time span 1782-'87. I think his Rev. pension application stated he signed on in Williamsburg and was later drafted in Hanover. If correct, it meant he had moved there with dad at age 17 and returned to caroline for later tax and court cases or moved back and forth between caroline and hanover counties. He died in Halifax , Va. 1836.
Mark married ________?
issue:
William-1785-1856 married Catherine mason from Person co.N.C.
in 1821.
Jacob-1787-?
Sally-
John-
Lucy-
Peggy (Margaret) married Samuel Elam (halifax) in 1807

William (1785-1856) married Catherine Mason 1821, from Person co N.C.
issue:
Mark Samuel (oldest) b. 1822
Robert J 1823-1889 married Obedience McSherry (1823-1889
"Biddy" may have been from County Monaghan, Ireland, where
she came from after leaving her mom and other brothers
still in Ireland. Came w/ or met Ryan family. May have
landed in Baltimore and came to Virginia.
Catherine
Female
Mary
Sarah
Susan
Elizabeth
John
William
Nancy

**from this point on, I have the entire family documented in previous book.

MISC. MARRIAGES:
-William Murray marr'd Mildred Gresham 8/26/1799 (49?)
-Henrietta Britan Murray marr'd James Oliver 3/29/1779
-Margaret B. marr'd Samuel Elam 7/23/1807
-Nancy marr'd William Mutry 12/26/1812 (bondsman=Jacob Murray)
-Nancy marr'd Thomas Chambers 4/9/1817 Wm. Murray witness
=Wm. Murray marr'd Mildred Gresham 8/26/1799

MISC. INFORMATION
-a Wm. Murray was related to Permelia murray
-Leonard Murray was in Co. in 1766
-John in Co. in 1774
-Barnet (Barney) in Co. in 1790
-Wm, Capt. in Militia 1797
-Jeremiah, William, and Thomas were laborers for Amos Richeson/surveyor in
-Wm Murray Capt. of 69th Reg. of militia 1797, 1798
-John Murray on patrol near News Ferry 1859
-Robert Murray granted pension in 1880 for Co. 7 18 Confederate

Wills:
-Joseph Williams Murray estate 177? involved Sarah and Robert Murray- plaintiff was Leonard Murray. KEY WAS THERE SARAH AND ROBERT MURRAY ELSEWHERE.
-Wm- had a will
-Wm. J. had a will

LAND TRANSACTIONS:
-Wm. owned land Jeremiah creek and Dan river in 1821
-Permelia and heirs sole land to:
Bruce Edwards in 1817
Gresham Benony(?) in 1817
Owen Richardson in 1810
=Wm. murray and heirs sold land to same people, same years.
-Jacob Murray to Richard Carter 2/28/1831
-Jacob murray to Catherine Murray =gift 11/25/1850
-Mark Murray to Jacob murray 2/26/1830
-Mark Murray to Wm. Murray 2/26/1830
-Mark Murray to Sam. Satterfield 4/20/1830
-Parmelia and Wm. were marr'd and bought land 1810
-Wm. owned land on s. Side Dan River
-Mark owned land on both side of E. Fork, Winns Ck. and also on Dan River

TITHABLE'S-1766
Jeremiah
Wm.
Thomas al 3 in area of Turkey)lock) creek and head of Snow creek

COURT ORDERS
-Jeremiah, thomas, Wm -1766
-John 1774
-Leonard in 1779, 1786
-Barney 1789, 1790

ISLE OF WIGHT CO. VA
(DID NOT LOOK UP INFO. I THINK THIS IS TOO FAR SOUTH FOR OUR FAMILY, BUT WHO KNOWS-- THE FOLLOWING WAS STUMBLED UPON)

-John I. and Wm. Murray were part of Bacon's rebellion in 1677
=John in upper parish in 1688
-Thomas Murray and wife and 3 others came to Seward Creek by Ashen Sury 4/17/1641 sold it in 1647
-Alex. in Co. 1683, 1700
-Thomas in Co. 1718/19/36
-Wm. in Co in 1744
-Ann (?) was wife of Alexander Murray in 1687 was still there 1699/1700
ISSUE:
Martha-
Mary (?)-

John was married to Eliz. (Y)Garrett in 1679 his will was in 1724
issue:
John-was dec'd by 1724--his issue: was Thomas
Wm.- his issue was Wm.
George W.-his issue was George
Eliz.-married to James Wooden-her issue was Thomas
names mentioned in will (whose will?) in 1712
Wm.
Mary Davis
Eliz.

KING GEORGE CO. VA.

1. Andrew Murrow marr'd Deborah Skelton 10/11/1778
issue:
Mary Ann-b.4/22/1730

-Wm. Jackson Murray of CAROLINE CO. bought land from Wm and Polly Blackburn in 1811.
-Wm. J. Murray sold land in 1813
-A David McMurrin in Co. in 1722 and 1734

OVERTON PARISH INFO. SOME OF THIS WAS IN STAFFORD CO. (DO NOT THINK ALL OF THIS PARISH WAS IN STAFFORD, BUT DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE)

1. John marr'd to Mary____?
issue:
John b 3/1/1729

2. Anthony. b. ca. 1710-1720 d. 1739 marr'd to Mary ___?
issue:
Sarah-b.7/24/1739
James died 9/26/1740
Anthony died 10/4/1740
Sarah-died 7/17/1740
John-b. 10/9/1741
Nancy-b.10/181743
Lettice b.12/23/1745
Phoebe-b.4/1/1748

MISC. INFORMATION
-Wm Murry b. 1/7/175?
-Margaret Murray marr'd John Oglesby 10/7/1750

TAXPAYERS LIST OF 1782-'87
-Wm.
-Samuel *** Could this connect the CAROLINE CO AND KING GEORGE MURRAY
-Phillip

KING & QUEEN CO. VA.
(BURNED COURT HOUSE)

-James Muire in co 1730, 1732
-John and Wm Muire were adults in 1767

MARRIAGES
-John marr'd Mary Parmento in 1715
-John marr'd Ann Glover in 1763
-Ralph marr'd Alexandria Kay in 1724
-Robert marr'd ___? Moscrop 174?
-Thomas marr'd Sarah David 1740
-Wm. marr'd Mary Davis 1712

TAX RECORDS 1782-'87
-Muire:
John
Richard

LANCASTER CO. VA
(DID NOT LOOK UP MUCH)
-A Wm. was there in 1655
-David was there in 1698 and earlier, I am fairly sure.
-A David was imported in 1703

MIDDLESEX CO. VA.
1. Alexander Murray b. ca 1650-'60 d. 1718 was married to Mary Batchelder (dgt. of John Batchelder). Mary was from London and died in 1686/87. Alex. owned land by dragon swamp in 1688, was in court in 1678 and in co adult in 1674.
issue:
Ann-b. 4/12/1673
Mary-b.11/22/1674
Rebecca-b.10/8/1676
John-b.1/26/1678. d. 1733 wife was Mary (see # 7)
Robert-b.4/9/1681
Sarah-b.5/18/1683
Eliz.-b.4/4/1686

2. Robert (Alex. son) married to Frances___?
issue:
George

3. John (Alex's son and Rob't # 2's brother) b.1/26/1678 d. 1/10/1768 was married to Rachel ___?. she died 3.22.1784
issue:
Francis-d.11/27/1780
George-married Prisilla Dudley (widow) in 1832
Molly d. 1780 married_____? Curtis
jack-d.1788
Wm-d. 1780
Catherine-(Caty) mar'd ___? Roane, no longer marr'd in 1781
Sally-marr'd later or not at all-not marr'd in 1781
Polly- marr'd ___? Curtis
Lucy-married Harry B Yates (Lucy could be dgt or granddgt.)
John-
An Ann marr'd Christopher Curtis and was widowed by 1781. She was
connected to this John someway.

4. Robert already married to Mary Skeleton in 1753/4

5. William (kin to Robert someway) married Ann Kemp in 12/15/1774 (9?)
issue:
Mary Ann under 18 when Rob't died. marr'd to John Major in 1812
Harriot- " " " " "--marr'd Thomas Roane in 1799
Fanny- " " " " "--
John Archibald b. 1782- see CAROLINE CO. & possibly ALBEMARLE AND FLUVANA COUNTIES FOR Archibald Murray
** John and Rachel Murray were mentioned in Wm's will- probably his parents, could be Gparent or uncle)

6.Andrew marr'ed Sarah Perry in 8/16/1720
issue:
Alexander b. 8/19/1721

7. John marr'd Mary ca. 1714
issue:
Jane-b8/2/1719
John-b.8/2/1721
Alexander b.1/29/1728
Ann-b.5/29/1715
Eliz.b.8/14?/1726
Mary-b.8/25/1717
Robert-b.1/28/1723
**This is probably John's son(Alex grandson) as all names and dates match.

8. info. from Thomas Murray's will in 1740. Tho's married to Sarah____? Tho's had a sister who was married to a Tho's Scott in 1798.
issue:
Mary-marr'd to Benjamin Davis
Sarah-
Eliz.-marr'd to John Lee
Estar (deduced dgt) marr'd to Charles Simms (N.C.)

9. James & brother David (b. ca. 1690 - died 1733 married Jane Clark of Christ Church in Middlesex co, bought land in KING WILLIAM in 1724, which became CAROLINE CO. He started the Caroline co Murrays who spread to HANOVER, KING GEORGE, LIVINGSTON ALA, NOXUBEE AND MACON MISS. AND TEXAS.
issue:
Ann-b. 1718
James- see CAROLINE CO.
Wm.- " " "
David- " " "
Thomas- " " "

IMPORTS TO MIDDLESEX CO.
-John Murrah 10/9/1689 by Christopher Robinson
-William Murray, 10/9/1685 by William Danielle Sr.
-Alexander Murray 1676

MISC MARRIAGES.
Eliz. dgt of John marr'd Joseph Woodson of Henrico in 1724
-Mary marr'd Thomas Copeland in 1749
-John marr'd Eliz Garrett in 1678
-John marr'd Eliz. hitchin in 1686
-Alexander marr'd mary Black in 1752 --JOHN MURRAY WAS A WITNESS
-Ann marr'd Charles Curtis in 1787
-Wm- marr'd Ann Kemp- i have conflicting marriage dates, see chart # 5)
-Sally marr'd Thomas Roane 1750 (80?)
-Alexander marr'd Mary Clark 10/14/1752 JOHN MURRAY WAS A WITNESS.
-Mary Murray marr'd to John Pace 12/18/1718 (Alex's dgt??)
-John Murray (s??)
#1 married Jane Seager 10/29/1747
#2 married Rachel Daniel 1/3/1750
#3 married Lucy Sutton 12/25/1748

MISC. INFORMATION.
-Wm. and Rob't Murray were Militia officers in 1782
-Capt. Wm murray died in 1787
-Alexander Murray drafted in 1687
-** William Murray of GLOUCESTER was witness in court case for Robert Murray of Middlesex in 1757.
-JAMES MURRAY (UNUSUAL MURRAY NAME FOR THIS COUNTY) could he be relative of David and James? 1676.

NEW KENT CO. VA.
(BURNED COURT HOUSE)

-A Stratton Major Parish church completed by Wm Muire in 1767 after the first carpenter died.

INTERESTING STORY.
CONFUSING--BUT LISTED THIS AS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT COULD AND DID HAPPEN
A Macdonald in Scotland marr'd Patrick Macgregor, chieftain who led his clansmen under Macleod. He had issue (John) They came to Va. (perhaps New Kent or King Wm. w/ others in 1727. John became John Murray. In his will, Thomas Macghee wrote "once was (known as) James Macgregor in the old country"

NORFOLK, VA.
(DID NOT LOOK UP MUCH)
This county is probably too far south to be mine, but anything is possible. I included info. only because I know of only 4 david Murray's around the first part of the 1700's or earlier and here is one.

1. David-was imported ca. 1650 marr'd Mary____?
issue:
Eliz.
Mary
David J- had issue: George
Alexander
John-was the oldest had issue: three children
George

MISC. INFORMATION
-David in Co in 1759, 1765 with:
-Mary
-Henry
-James
-John
-Wm.
-John Murry in Co in 1647
-Alex in Co. 1734 (David's son?)

*** WITH THE SIMILARITY OF NAMES WITH THE DAVID, ETC. THIS SHOULD BE CONSIDERED, EVEN IF REMOTELY SO, WITH THE CAROLINE/MIDDLESEX MURRAYS AS WELL AS THE PR. GEORGE WHOSE WM. WENT TO BEDFORD CO. AND PROBABLY CONNECTED WITH THE CAROLINE CO MURRAYS.

PITTSYLVANIA CO. VA.
(DID NOT LOOK UP MUCH)
TAX LIST 1782='87
-Wm. & Nathanial Murray

MISC.
-Thomas lived by self in 1790

PRINCE EDWARD CO. VA.
(DID NOT LOOK UP MUCH , ONLY ENOUGH TO CONNECT SOME OF THESE MURRAYS TO CAROLINE COUNTY AND I THINK T BEDFORD COUNTY AS NAMES MATCH AND P. EDWARD WAS ADJOINING BEDFORD CO.

1. Daniel
issue:
Alley -marr'd Ezechial Foster 11/22/1781
Edith--marr'd James kidd 2/10/1792
Alexander was married or already married in 1783
-David and wife Eliz.. David's will was Dec. 1786
-David and Eliz. owned land on Appomattox River 1758

GRANTEES:
-Francis 1786, from Pr. George
-David 1770
-David in 1756
-Thomas in 1760
-Thomas bought land in 1760 , Daniel witnessed

MISC. INFO.
-Thomas Murray sold land 7/11/1761 wit_ was Daniel ** IF THIS IS CAROLINE
-CO. THOMAS, IT CONNECTS DANIEL TO THE FAMILY, BUT I HAVE NO PROOF OF THAT.
-David Murray (ALMOST POSITIVE OF CAROLINE CO. line) bought land 1756, sold land 1758/9.
-Jane Murray witnessed deed in 1764
-Thomas murray marr'd Levinia Cannon 1788 (I think also listed in BEDFORD CO.), so this Tho's could be from Caroline co. line. If other Tho's is kin to Daniel, then Daniel is probably a different line.
-Thomas Murray marr'd Susanna McCargo 11/6/1790
-Thomas sold land in co in 1761, Daniel was a witness
-James sold land in 1764 (probably James of CAROLINE CO.)
-Rich'd Murray from Caroline co. bought land in 1751
-Rich'd bought land on s. side james river 1750
-james ownedd land in parishof southam 1750
-rich's bought 400a. parish o fsoutham 1751
-david witnessed land transfer in 1752
** James and brother David (from CAROLINE CO) sold land in CAROLINE while living in Prince Edward. IT WAS THIS DAVID WHO MOVED TO GEORGIA AND WHOSE SON MURRAY CO. IN GA. WAS NAMED AFTER.
-Daniel dec'd 1785-'88 was in Co. in 1762
-david in Co in 1772
-Wm. in Co. in 1784
-Rich'd in co. 1772
-Daniel: his dgt. Alley who marr'd Ezekiel Foster 1783. Daniel was alive. He had another dgt. Edith who marr'd James Kidd 1792, and Daniel was dead.

MARRIAGES:

-Thomas Murray marr'd Susanna McCargo 11/6/1790-
-marrige bond- Thomas Murray and Lavenia Cannon, dgt. dgt of Wm.
** RICHARD AND REBECCA MURRAY MOVED TO PRINCE EDWARD FROM ALBEMARLE COUNTY.

David of this county had a son thomas who moved to georgia and had a county named after him (murray county) I think it was Thomas W Murray

PRINCESS ANNE CO. VA.
(DID NOT LOOK UP MUCH)

-John and Caleb there in 1723

RICHMOND CO. VA.

1. Andrew Murray bricklayer, died 1740. His wife was Deborah Sherlock, dgt and heir of John Sherlock. They were married on 10/1/1728. They purchased land in 2/1733. Good friends of John Branham. Were in North Farnham Parish.
issue:
Mary Anne b. 4/22/1730 marr'd ___? Purcell
?? Anne
John
Wm.
Jeremiah
Sarah.

2. Will of Tobias Purcell-1762
Names listed in will:
Mary Anne marr'd ______? Murray-their issue was: John Purcell Murray & Tobias Purcell Murray
Eliz. marr'd ____? Allgood
Catherine Purcell
Winifred marr'd _____? Murray
Lucy marr'd _________? Murray
EXE. was Mary Anne Murray

MISC INFO.
-Gilbert murray was in N. Farnham Parish in 1720
-Alex. MURRAL in county in 1725
-Thomas Murray in Co. was servant to Wm Fountary. Alexander Murray who had "sold" Thomas testified about Thomas' age in 1720.
-Furlugh (?) Morey as adult in county in 1707
-Gilbert Murray
-adult in 1722 bound for misbehaving. He threaten Richard Gibbs for not
giving him liquor
-arrested in 1723 for being "wicked, profane and a common swearer.
-Was servant to Newman Brenchenbaugh(?)
-was drunk in court
-10 lashes for being wicked profane and a common swearer

**Please compare names in #'s 1 and 2.

SURRY CO. VA.
(DID NOT LOOK UP, JUST WHAT I "STUMBLED ON IS WRITTEN HERE)

-James in Co. in 1752, 1762
-Wm. in Co in 1716
-James was a planter in 1765
-Wm born ca. 1612 was in county in 1652
- **** Nicholas Murray transported to Co n 1666 by Edward pettaway

YORK CO. VA.
(BURNED COURT HOUSE)

MISC INFORMATION
-Murray's
Duncan n co in 1730
Alice in co. in 1730
-Murrey
John in Co. in 1666
-Murrow
Peter in co. 1753
-Murry
ann (mulatto) in co. apprenticed her son Gabriel to carpenter, 1753

VIRGINIA TAXPAYERS LIST 1782-'87
(THIS LIST IS A COMPILATION OF SEVERAL SOURCES AND MAY NOT BE COMPLETE. IT DEFINITELY REPEATS NAMES AND SHOWS THE DIFFERENT WAYS SOME MURRAY NAMES WERE SPELLED EVEN WHEN REFERRING TO THE SAME PERSON. A KEY THING LEFT TO DO IS TO WEE WHICH MURRAYS OF CAROLINE COUNTY PAID TAXES THE SAME DAY OR WITHIN A DAY TO POSSIBLY CONNECT THEM AS KIN.

Caroline tax list "B"
Murrough, Wm. Sr.-self
Murrough, Wm. Jr.
Merry, Mark self
Merry, nicholas Mark was charged w/ his tax
Murrough, John self, two white males over age of 16
Murrow, David
Murrough, Ann

THESE ABOVE NAMES ARE THE ONLY "MURRAY'S" ON TAX LIST "B" IN CAROLINE CO

MISC. COUNTIES
Merry:
Cornelius Nelson co
David Charles city paid for self and Robert Wilkins
Mark Caroline
Nicholas Caroline
Phillip King George
Prettiman Culpepper
Prityman Orange
Gavin Caroline co. (was a Garwin in Neighboring Essex co. as an
adult in 1735- only other Murray found in essex was a Wm.
who was an adult in 1682. *******

Murray:
James Rockbridge
David Dinwiddie and Petersburg, but couldn't find names when
looking in these counties.
Patrick Alexandria
Samuel Loundon-paid tax for Thomas, Edward, George Christmas
Wm Fredericksburg******
Wm Jefferson Co Kentucky
Wm (Est) Middlesex
Wm Richmond City

Murrey:
J Cumberland-Richard and James paid tax
James Culpepper
Samuel Hanover

Murrow:
David Henry co
Wm. Goochland

Murry:
James Frederick co
Winchester
Pr. Wm. paid for self and George Murray
Berkeley
Daniel Amelia
Sarah Amelia
Thomas Amelia
Wm. Loudon
Amelia
Pittsylvania
King Wm
mercer Co Kentucky. Had moved, to parts unknown
Nathanial Pittsylvania

Murrow:
David Caroline co
James Fayette Co. Kentucky
Greenbriar Co
Hardy Co.
James Greenbriar Co
Samuel Greenbriar Co
King Wm Co
Wm Frederick Co
Greenbriar Co
Goochland

Merry:
David Charles City
William Charles City

Muir:
George Fayette co
Phebe Loudon
Ann Accomack
John King and Queen
Richard King and Queen

Murrah:
Gavin Caroline
Mark Caroline

Murray:
Ann Pr. George
David Bedford
James Dinwiddie
James Loudon
James Jr. Loudon
John Caroline
John Pr. Wm.
Samuel Loudon
Wilianm Loudon
Wm. Pr. George
Wm. Caroline

Murry:
Alex So'n (?)
Anthony buckingham (later Bedford) or his relative went there.
Charles Buckingham
David Bedford
Enoch Fauguier
James Fauquier
James culpepper
John Fauquier
John Fauquier
Ralph Fauquier
Wm. Fauquier
Thomas Bedford
Zachariah Berkeley
Wm. King George

Hanover Co
Wm. Samuel, Ann, Elizabeth and Mark

CAROLINE CO. VA TO OTHER STATES
(SEE INDIVIDUAL COUNTIES)

-George from Caroline Co to S.Carolina

-David to Pr. Edward to Georgia, where Murray Co. named for his son, thomas

-Samuel from Caroline to Mississippi.

-David, Thomas, Wm. James (Bedford Co. Va.) to Wilks, then Lincoln Co. Ga. left Bedford in 1785. I think this is Caroline Co. murrays due to names, by way of Thomas (Rev. War Pension), but have not proved it beyond a doubt. They interchanged the spelling of last name Murray/McMurray, which makes me wonder. It MAY have been this group which went from Ga. to Buxumbee, Miss. I do not remember as I write this.

-Texas, the group from Caroline to Mississippi, moved to Texas c. 1850. The county in Texas should be in Caroline Co. notes.

-

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions