Search for content in message boards

Mires/Myres/Myers Family - Surry/Yadkin Counties NC 1800-1880

Replies: 0

Mires/Myres/Myers Family - Surry/Yadkin Counties NC 1800-1880

Posted: 28 May 2011 8:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mires/Myres/Myers, McBride, Davis, Collins
I'm working on the family history of a friend and have hit an interesting wall.

His Grt Grt Grandmother was a woman named Zelpha Sylvania MIRES/MYRES/MYERS born @ 1877 and was still alive in 1930. She married Tom/Thomas MC BRIDE about 1895 in Surry County, NC.

She was the daughter of Martha MYRES/MIRES as attested by her death certificate and the 1880 Census. That Census shows her living with her mother and her mother's family as follows:

Liberty, Yadkin County, NC

Mires, Jacob 76 years old, born NC, Mulatto, farmer
Mires, Nancy 66, NC, Mulatto, wife
Caroline 51, NC, Mulatto, Daughter, Washer Woman
Rosa 51, NC, Mulatto, Daughter, At Home
George 30, NC, Mulatto, Son, Farm Laborer
Martha 24, NC, Mulatto, Daughter, At Home
Alexander 13, NC, Mulatto, Grandson, Day Laborer
Zilpha 3, NC, Mulatto, Granddaughter, At Home

The family, which is huge as Jacob and Nancy apparently had 18 children, is in the same place 1870, 1860, 1850. Liberty is not a town so far as I can find, but a Township near Yadkinville.

The list of children, born between the years 1834 & 1859, so far as I can determine is: Mary, Polly/Poline, Caroline, Rosa/Rosanah, Lydiah/Lida, Jerry, Sam/Samuel, Jones, Nancy, William, Lucy, Isey/Isabel, George, Anna, Marhta, Jane, Peter, Nannie (Nannie may be a granddaughter raised as a daughter)

Grandchildren who retained the Myres/Mires/Myers name I've found are: of Mary - Greenberry 1863 & Melvina 1866; of Rose - Alexander 1865; of Lida - Nancy 1862, Elizabeth 1865, Caroles (son) 1888; of Lucy - Manda 1864 & Lee G. 1869; of Polina - John 1865, Mary 1888;

Zelpha is listed as Mulatto as a child but as an adult married woman listed as White.

None of the grandchildren or children are ever shown to be attending school and all adults from 1880 back are illiterate.

If any of this sounds familiar to you, I welcome the chance to learn and to share what I've found.

Find a board about a specific topic