Search for content in message boards

Lewis Nance (1780-1855) Confusion

Replies: 5

Re: Lewis Nance (1780-1855) Confusion - sorry so long

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 4:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nance, Nantz, Stewart, Drake, Caldwell,
We have no information on this man. Birth date is a guess and we are guessing that he was dead before 1810 as Eleanor was married to Mr. Drake in that census. Some early family recollections state that his son Lewis was working as a very young man for a rich plantation owner. I believe he was probable around 17-18 years old then. A family story states that he went to visit his Mother during this time and she wanted him to stay home with her but he left and went back to work. This story makes me think she was single.

In the VA/KY cenus 1782 Heads of family were:

Giles Nance of Amelia Co
William Nance of Halifax Co
Zachariah Nance of Halifax Co
Tarvan Nance of Halifax Co
John Nantz of unknown

Not sure which, if any, was our Unknown Nantz. Some researchers have John and some William, but no good proof for either. (I have recently ruled out William, as he did not have a Lewis as a child). Also I have found no proof that Lewis' middle name was Henry, if someone has proof to anything let me know.

Back in this time in history the first son was named for the Father's Father and the second son for the Mother's Father. This family did have a son named John Nantz.

At some point in Kentucky half this family changed their last name to Nance.

Thomas B Nantz and John Nantz kept the spelling and so did there decendants to some degree. Lewis for a while in his life went by Nantz and then changed to Nance. Remember few people at that time could read and write English, due to lack of education. Those that could, spelled names the best they could, usually by sound.

Eleanor Stewart:
Census:
1810 Concordia Parish, LA next to her son, Louis (Lewis) Nantz (Nance).

Enoch Drake 1 male over 45 and 1 female over 45, Ou Par Succn #A-791 and probate book B p. 187

Eleanor left a will at death, her heirs: daughter Elizabeth Steen; infant child of her son, Thomas and Elizabeth Coleman Nantz by name of Louis/Albert; our Lewis Nance in the Misoury (Missouri) Territory and John Nantz in Mississippi. Inventory of her estate was made at the home of John Steen on Bayour deSiard by John Dewitt and David Gleason and included 4 slaves, 10 cows, crop of wheat, corn and potatoes, 14 years old horse, etc.

Sources:
On the American Genealogy Biograph Index it says of her vol 169, pg 44 reference Dl, Rev.War {813}:1195

Janet Nantz Woodard (lives in Houston, TX) decendant of Thomas B Nantz, provided the information from Louisiana.

Succession papers are in Monroe, Ouchita Parish LA courthouse, under Eleanor Stewart, widow Nantz, widow Drake. They show four children: John in Mississippi, Thomas in Louisiania, Lewis in Misoury (Missouri) Territory and daughter Elizabeth Stein (Steen) in Louisiana.

Info from Encyclopedia of Individuals and founding Families of the Ouachita Valley of Louisiana from 1785 to 1850 by E Russ Williams Jr. on pg 343
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Susan Harrell 18 Jun 2011 3:25PM GMT 
Diane Winters 19 Jun 2011 2:45PM GMT 
Susan Harrell 19 Jun 2011 3:40PM GMT 
zoomastr62 21 Jun 2011 7:04PM GMT 
Susan Harrell 21 Jun 2011 8:16PM GMT 
FloSells22 25 Aug 2012 10:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic