Search for content in message boards

1700s Culpepper County, VA: William and Betty Nash; sons James, b. 1739 and John, b. 1740s

Replies: 17

Re: James Nash, b. 1739 and John Nash, b. 1740s

Len (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2005 4:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nash, Jenkins
Does any of this connect with your GA to Tenn Nash family???....

Excerpt from info put together by Ron Jones (if you know how to reach him I'd like to get back in touch w/ him).....
This excerpt starts w/ James Nash son of William and Betty (Hardwick) Nash of colonial Culpepper County, VA:

5. JAMES5 NASH (WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1)4
James Nash was born July 06, 1739 in Orange Co., Va5, and died December 13, 1806 in Pendleton District, SC5. He married ANN JENKINS December 09, 1765 in Culpeper, daughter of THOMAS JENKINS. She was born February 20, 1736/37 in Culpeper, Va5, and died March 28, 1810 in Abbeville, SC.

Notes for JAMES NASH:
James is listed as being born in Orange Co. However, the William Nash farm was in St. Mark's Parrish in the Great Fork of the Rappahannock - where several counties converge (Orange, Culpeper, Fauquier, Spotsylvania, & Stafford). He was the oldest child and became head of the household at an early age. He was the executor of his father's estate and later Betty Nash's will was administered by James Nash, 1772 in Culpeper, Va.

James was appointed Lt of District in Culpeper and was listed in the Virginia colonial Militia 1751-1766 as a foot soldier (Note: that I think it is doubtfull that this is our James Nash son of Wm and Betty Nash, since he was born in 1739 -- Len R.)

The following listing is made in the DAR Patriot Index - Centennial Edition
James Nash: b 6-6-1739 VA d 12-13-1806 SC m Ann Jenkins PS VA
James was 36 when the Rev War started in 1775. He served as a private in the artillery in Va. His service records are documented in the U.S. Archieves. He is also listed by Brumbaugh in Revolutionary War Records vol I, VA, p208 and by Gwathmay in Virginians in the Revolution, p 577. The service of James Nash has been approved by the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution.

He was still on the taxpayer list in Culpeper for 1783, but soon thereafter moved his family to the Pendleton District. He appears in the 1790 Census of SC. {He was given two land grants by SC}

Pendleton SC Deeds 1790-1806 - Willie
p.161-164. I James Nash Sr for $347 sold to Jehu Orrs tract of (land) on Hen Coop Creek, granted Thomas Jenkins 5 Jun 1786. dated 3 Aug 1799. Witness: James Nash Jr., Valentine Nash, Ann Nash (wife).

Will of James Nash (from Pendleton District & Anderson Co SC Wills, Estates & Legal Records)
pp81-83. Wife Ann. To son Larkin a negro boy Philip and girl Bina. To son James a negro man Sam and woman Esther. To son George, a negro boy. To son Valentine, negro boy Peter and girl Beck. To daughter Nancy Nash, negro boy Ben and girls Lyddia and Sarah. Negro man Tom to be free to go and live where he shall choose and enjoy the profits of his own labor. Executors: Wife Ann and sons Larkin and George. Dated 1 July 1805. Proven 19 Jan 1817.

Marriage Notes for JAMES NASH and ANN JENKINS:
According to Chris Bryan, James married Ann Jenkins (daughter of Thomas Jenkins) on Dec 9, 1765 at St. Marks Parish, Va. He says that he has also found 2 other researchers that confirm this. This report is contrary to other reports of his marriage to Ann Hess (Hass). Marlene Wall also believes that James was married to Ann Jenkins.

The Centennial Edition of the NSDAR Patriot Index, has two listings for James Nash. The first James, born in Ma on 4-16-1756 was married to Anna Hess. And the second James was born in Va, 6-6-1739 (died 12-13-1806 SC) was married to Ann Jenkins.

Children of JAMES NASH and ANN JENKINS are:
8. i. JAMES6 NASH, b. 1770; d. 1836, Jackson Co Georgia.
ii. VALENTINE NASH, b. Abt. 1770.

Notes for VALENTINE NASH:
Carolina Genealogist: Vol 15, No 13 (Sep 12, 1821): Sheriff's Sale - 140 acres whereon William Saddler now lives, waters of Buck-ham creek of Little River, at suit of Valentine Nash.

A Valentine Nash appears in the:
1830 GA census (Montgomery Co) - p212
1850 Sabine Parrish, La census - p.141
1860 Sabine Parrish, La census - p.333
1870 Winston Co, Ms Census - p.446

Between 1831-1835 there are several land records in his name at the Mt. Salus land office and in 1841 there is a record of 40 acre purchase in the Columbus, Ms land office. Between 1843 and 1861, there are 13 records in the Natchitoches, La land office.

9. iii. GEORGE NASH, b. June 26, 1772, Pendleton District, SC; d. May 16, 1852, Jefferson Co. , Ala.
10. iv. NANCY NASH, b. November 06, 1773, Culpeper, Va; d. Aft. 1851, Chickasaw Co, Ms.
11. v. LARKIN NASH, b. November 03, 1766, Culpeper, Va; d. April 18, 1851, Columbus, Ms.

6. JOHN5 NASH (WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born May 16, 1747 in Culpeper, Va5, and died October 24, 1794 in Abbeville, SC. He married MARY POLLY HARRISON LONG January 02, 1770, daughter of REUBEN LONG and MARY HARRISON. She was born April 15, 1754 in Culpeper, Va5, and died November 21, 18215.
(Note: I am descended from John and Polly Harrison Nash thru their son Ezekiel Nash, born 1776 --Len).

Notes for JOHN NASH:
According to the Abner Nash Bible Record: John Nash was born 16 May 1747 & died 24 Oct 1794. He married Mary (Polly) Harrison Long on 2 Jan 1770. Polly was born 15 April 1754 and died 21 Nov 1821. They lived in Culpeper when the war started. He served as a private in the 9th Va Regiment and in the 13th Va Regiment. His service records are in the US Archives and he is listed by the NSDAR. He has also been proven in the Sons of American Revolution.

John and Polly were members of the Turkey Creek Church (Baptist). (SC Baptists, 1670-1805), Townsend.

John Nash - Will (A Collection of Upper SC Genealogical & Family Records - Vol II)
p.239. I John Nash of Abbeville Distr being very sick and weak in body but perfect mind and memory. I give to my beloved wife Polly Harrison my whole estate both real and personal during her natural life or widowhood and after her death or marriage, I give to my three sons Abner, Ezekiel, Nimrod all that tract of land whereon I now live. Containing 401 acres to be equally divided amongst them. The remainder of my est to be divided amongst my four sons, Reuben, Abner, Ezekiel and Nimrod and my five dtrs. Theodoshe, Bettey Evans, Melinda, Lusinda and Mertilday. I appoint my wife Polly Harrison, and sons, Reuben, Abner, Ezekiel Nash as executors. Will dated Oct 20, 1794 in Abbeville district, rec March 25, 1795. Wit: Wm & John White, Jas Smith, wife Polly Harrison. Inventory made July 8, 1795 by Robert Elgin, Nicholas Long and Jas Key.

Marriage Notes for JOHN NASH and MARY LONG:
Marriage Records, OLD96 & Abbeville 1774-1890

Children of JOHN NASH and MARY LONG are:
i. BETTY EVANS6 NASH, b. May 11, 17815.
ii. LUCINDA NASH, b. August 10, 17905; m. CAPT. CAIN BROYLES, March 20, 18106.

Notes for LUCINDA NASH:
In Abner Nash family bible, her name appears as Lusinda.

iii. MELINDA NASH, b. June 07, 17867.

Notes for MELINDA NASH:
In the Abner Nash family bible, her name appears as Malinda.

iv. NIMROD NASH8, b. January 27, 1784, Culpeper, Va9; d. Aft. 1830, Pt Coupe Parrish, La; m. ELIZABETH (BETSY) CONNER, April 06, 1823.

Notes for NIMROD NASH:
Carolina Genealogist: Vol 7, No 13 (22 May 1813): Sheriff's Sale - 200acres whereon Nimrod Nash now lives, as his property on Saluda river, at suit of George Poor vs said Nash and Joshua Halbert.

Carolina Genealogist: Vol 7, No 45 (15 Jan 1814): Sheriff's Sale - 160acres whereon Nimrod Nash now lives, as his property on Saluda river, at suit of George Poor and others.

Carolina Genealogist: Vol 7, No 50 (Feb 12, 1814): Sheriff's Sale - Plantation whereon Nimrod Nash now lives, as his property on Saluda river, at suit of George Poor vs Nash and Cain Broyles, also suit of James Hathorn vs Nash.

Notes for ELIZABETH (BETSY) CONNER:
The Family History Center file indicates Nimrod Nash and Betsy Conner had the following children in Lowndes Co, Ms:

William 1832
Evans 1827
Reuben 1829
Margaret 1831
John 1834
Betty 1835
Frances 1837

The record indicates Nimrod died after 1830. Apparently after 1837?

v. THEODOCIA NASH, b. February 10, 17799.

Notes for THEODOCIA NASH:
In the Abner Nash family bible, her name appears as Theodotia.

12. vi. ABNER NASH, b. July 21, 1773; d. November 23, 1834, Lowndes Co, MS.
13. vii. EZEKIEL NASH, b. January 11, 1776; d. 1846.
14. viii. COL. REUBEN NASH, b. June 25, 1771, Culpeper, Va; d. April 04, 1822, Abbeville, SC.
ix. MERTILDAY NASH, b. June 04, 17939.

Notes for MERTILDAY NASH:
Abner family bible has her name as Matilda. Her father's will has the name as Mertilday..

7. WILLIAM5 NASH (WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born February 02, 1740/41 in Culpeper, Va?, and died July 31, 1822. He married MARY MORGAN February 01, 1764.

Notes for MARY MORGAN:
In the 'Genealogier of Virginia", page 714 references Mary Morgan, who married William Nash. The reference provided Williams birthday, their children, and also referenced William's parents as William and Elizabeth Nash of Culpeper, Va.

Children of WILLIAM NASH and MARY MORGAN are:
i. CORNELIUS6 NASH, b. November 09, 1767.
ii. BETTY NASH, b. November 16, 1771.
iii. IRA NASH, b. June 14, 1774.
iv. WILLIAM JR. NASH, b. November 27, 1777.

Generation No. 6

8. JAMES6 NASH (JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1770, and died 1836 in Jackson Co Georgia10. He married MARGARET LONG11 Abt. 1790 in probably Pendleton, daughter of JOHN LONG and BARBARA READ. She was born October 25, 1769 in Maryland, and died 1854 in Jackson Co Georgia.

Notes for JAMES NASH:
From "The Early History of Jackson County Georgia" by G.J.N. Wilson: James Nash came with other early settlers to this county where he followed farming nearly all his life. His industrious habits and good management soon enabled him to accumulate a considerable fortune; and being the soul of honor and a Christian gentleman without blemish, he made good use of it. His position at the poplar log showed his physical stength, and he was in every other was equally strong. He settled about four miles below Commerce, on the Clarkesville road, where he built the best and most elegant residence then in the county. It afterwards became a public inn and was favorably known to the traveling public both far and near. This house was totally destroyed by a tornado on Feb 19, 1884. His daughter Mary was fatally wounded and some of the family was seriously hurt.

22 February 1884 The Jackson Herald. Last Tuesday evening, the 19th inst., a cyclone passed about a mile below Jefferson, going in an easterly direction. ... From Mr. Venable's the cyclone passed over the river at Mr. Gailey's farm, on by the Gathright place, and from thence onto the Nash place, crossing the Northeastern Railroad near Nash's tank... from there down into Madison County. Our information of the destruction it accomplished after it crossed the North Oconee River is very meagre, but from what we can learn .... At Nash's the settlement was scattered in every direction. Mrs. Mary Nash, who is very old, got a broken leg and other injuries, from which it is hardly probably she will recover. Mrs. Charlie Nash's head was bruised.

7 March 1884 The Jackson Herald. ....total damage from the storm: number of houses blown down, 55; persons hurt, 11,000; seriously wounded, 21; fatally wounded, 1 [Mrs. Mary Nash].

"The History of Harmony Grove Commerce", T.C. Hardman, pg 16. ....it exactly centered the CT Nash dwelling on the Athens road, on the rise midway between the homes of Dick Standridge and Ed Holland.

=====================================================================================

A-142 JAMES NASH, SEN.

Will DATED Apr. 16, 1836, probated July 4, 1936, recorded July 14, 1836, pg, 203-205

"I lend to my beloved wife MARGARET all my Estate of which I now am or hereafter may be possessed both real & personal dureing her natural life or Widowhood for the purpose of her Support & maintenance, & should my wife Marry after my decease, my will is that all my Estate then rem(in)ing be Equally divided between all my Children & my wife with the qualifications & exceptions hereafter Specified. And it is my further will that my wife Should only old a life Estate in the divided or share & at her death to be equally divided among all my children. "

"It is my further will & desire that at the death of my wife if She Should Survive me, that the Premises upon which I now live including the bounty of Land which I first bought Supposed to contain 187 ½ ac. & the dwelling & out Houses shall not be divided but Shall remain in the possession & to their use & enjoyment of my unmarried Daughters dureing their lives or so long as they remain unmarried to their & the survivors or Survivors of those that continue unmarried as aforesaid, and each unmarried Ad. As aforesaid Shall have one good feather Bed & furniture & stock of Black cattle as to make them equal with those that are married, & I will & give my Son REUBEN NASH Equal Interest in the above named Premises dureing the Life Estate of the Surviving unmarried daughter or daughters, at the termination of the Life Estate of the last unmarried Survivor the said property as well as the remainder of my real estate shall be equally divided between my three sons names GABRIEL< REUBEN< WILLIAM & the Heirs of my son JAMES NASH, provided the life or widowhood Estate of my wife has terminated giving my son RUEBEN NASH the preference of choice of the dividend, provided all the aforesaid GABRIEL< REUBEN & WILLIAM NASH with the Heirs of my son JAMES NASH shall tender & pay to my oldest Son ELIJAH NASH $400."

"It is not intended by giving my Said Daughters the Premises above Mentioned in the manner aforesaid to Exclude them from their equal proportions of my personal Estate when the same is divided in terms of this will, nor is it otherwise intended but that my son JAMES Shall have a life Interest in the part or dividend that falls to his HEIRS> It is to be specially understood & such is my intention that the Legacies contained in this will is not Revoke or set aside certain deeds of gift or testamentory papers which I have made in favour of some of my Children & now in my profession to take affect at my Death or pleasure."

"I constitute & appoint my Sons GABRIEL & REUBEN NASH Executors of this my last will & testament & also Guardians of the heirs of my son JAMES."

Executors: Sons, GABRIEL NASH & REUBEN NASH.
Witnesses: WILLIAM THURMOND, CALEB D. RIDEN & MAGNUS A. BROOKES, J.P.
==============================================================================
Obituary - Christian Index:
Died, June 25th, 1836, at his residence, in Jackson County, James Nash, Esq. aged 67 years. In the death of this excellent man, society has lost one of its brightest ornaments. All who were intimately acquainted with him, can but shed the tear of sympathy, and unite in expressions of condolence with the afflicted family. A sincere friend to the Church, a lover of the cause of Salvation, connected with hospitable mind and urbane deportment. Esq. Nash lived as he died a humble & we trust a true believer in the blessed Jesus. He was given to us, and we were delighted with his company; but now he has gone to enjoy the company of Angels, and chant requiems of praise in the worlds of light. While the family is left to mourn their irreparable loss, these sombrous weeds of sorrow are brightened with the hope that their loss is his eternal gain.

Notes for MARGARET LONG:

From her obituary, we know that Margaret Nash was born in Maryland in 1769 and moved to Jackson County Georgia when she was 19. In 1802 she was baptised into the Cabin Creek Baptist Church.

Margaret Nash is mentioned in Capt Reuben Longs will dated 7 Aug 1837 & probated 21 Mar 1839. It references her as his sister living in Jackson Co.

=================================================================================
From "The Early History of Jackson County Georgia" by G.J.N. Wilson: Mrs. James Nash, nee Margerette Long, was loved and honored by all the people. No being lived, however obscure or mean, that she failed to treat kindly. She was a near relative of Dr. Crawford W. Long, but she died before he became famous. (Dr. Crawford Nash was the first to use an anesthetic during surgery). She and her husband sleep the sleep of the good in plain view of the desolate spot which was once their pleasant home.

Wilson's initials GJN - stand for Gustavus James Nash.

In "The Long Family of Crawford County", Sue Long documents the the Long's of Crawford and then describes the persistent legend that there is kinship between the Long family of Crawford and the Dr. Crawford Long family. Both families came thru Pennsylvania, Abbeville, and then settled in Georgia. James Long came from Scotland, with his son Matthew. Matthew had several children, one was Margaret Long, mentioned in his will receiving land at Long Cane (Cox Plantation - Abbeville). These children eventually settled in Crawford Co, Ga.

==================================================================================
A-233 Margarette Nash

Will dated Dec. 5, 1850, probated & recorded June 5, 1854, pp. 362-363.

"Knowing the certainty of death & the uncertainty of life…I give & bequeath to the heirs of MARIAH STOVELL my Dau. Deceased – a Negro boy Peter to them & their heirs forever. I give & bequeathe to my Dau. NANCEY my negro girl ESTHER to her & her heirs & assigns forever. I give & bequeathe to my Dau. HANNAH my Negro boy Tom to her, her lifetime & at her death of my Grand Son RHEUBEN L> NASH. I give & bequeathe to my Dau. MARY a negro girl named SARAH to her & her heirs & assigns forever."

"To my two Daughters NANCEY & HANNAH my Negro woman names CAROLINE & all her increase & I also further give to them all the other property I claim or am seized in right of without specifying or particularly nameing what property I have a right to to them & theirs & assigns forever."

Executor: Son, GABRIEL NASH.
Witnesses: WALTON HARRIS, MARTHA JANE NASH 7 W. M. GATHRIGHT.

===================================================================================

An aged Saint called home.

Those persons who have traveled the road from Athens to Clarksville, must recollect the residence of Mother Nash, immediately on the road, about 14 miles from the former place. This aged saint has been called to her reward, having departed this life about the middle of May last. At the time of her death, Mrs Margaret Nash was one of the oldest citizens of Georgia and one of the longest standing members of the Baptist Church.
She was born in Maryland in 1769. In her 19th year she removed to Jackson County, Ga, to the neighborhood in which she resided for 66 years. In 1802, she was received, by profession and baptism, into the Cabin Creek Baptist Church. - Living in a retired part of the country, and pursuing for many years in the most unostentatous manner the even tenor of her way, the story of her life is told in a very few words. Successive months and years afforded very little variety in her daily vocations. But it is interesting to see a disciple of Christ adoring for more than fifty years, the doctrine of God her Saviour. That must be a divine principle, which can keep the soul inflexible bent upon one grand pursuit through a protracted series of years. Sister Nash has been for more than half a century a consistent member of the Church of Christ. This ample record is her highest eulogy. It is worth incalcuably more than the inflated panegyries which are so frequently pronounced upon the nobles of earth.
God prepared this aged saint for her rest by an affliction peculiarly severe and long continued. About a year prior to her decease, she began to suffer inconvenience and pain from an enlargement immediately under her left arm. Medical aid was sought, but without success. The tumor continued to grow, until cancerous symptoms were decided. The suffering became intense as to deprive her of all natural rest, for many weeks prior to her decease. During this whole period, however, she was remarkably composed. The writer of this notice saw her about two weeks before her death, and was endeavoring to comfort her by the assurances that though she might not understand now why she was so afflicted God would eventually show her that it was wise and merciful. "Yes" she said, "My ways are not your ways, neither are your thoughts my thoughts, saith the Lord." For several days before her death, her conversation was almost entirely in the language of the scriptures. She would say, "I know that my Redeamer liveth; there is laid up for me a crown of ..." "in my Father’s house are many mansions,". At last, calling her servants and children with all the members of her family, she admonished them all in the most affectionate terms and had them meet her in a better world. Perfectly prepared for the summons, she fell asleep in dreams.

Athens, July 6, 1854

More About MARGARET LONG:
Religion: Baptist

Children of JAMES NASH and MARGARET LONG are:
15. i. ELIJAH7 NASH, b. Abt. 1790.
16. ii. JAMES JR NASH, b. 1803; d. 1897, Jackson Co Georgia.
iii. REUBEN NASH, b. 1800.
17. iv. WILLIAM NASH, b. 1807; d. 1854, Madison Co Georgia.
v. NANCY NASH, b. 1793, SC.
vi. HANNAH NASH, b. 1796, SC.
vii. MARY NASH, b. Abt. 1810; d. February 20, 1884, Jackson Co Georgia; m. JOHN J. SMITH, March 13, 183112; b. April 10, 1808.
viii. MARIAH NASH, b. 1786; d. June 26, 185013; m. JOHN STOVALL; b. March 10, 1786; d. September 27, 184213.

Notes for MARIAH NASH:
Maragret's will indicates Mariah Stovall, dau decreased. It does reference a gift to her heirs.

ix. GABRIEL NASH, b. Abt. 1799; d. March 05, 1883, Madison Co Georgia; m. MARY PARK, May 26, 1826.

Notes for GABRIEL NASH:
1830 GA Census - Madison co records a Gabriel Nash on pg 118. Gabriel is also recorded in the 1840 GA census on pg 48.

GJN Wilson's book, 'The Early History of Jackson County Georgia" has the following story of Gabriel:
"The celebrated Gabriel Nash, Esq, who died in Madison County many years ago.... when Gabriel Nash was a leading lawyer at the bar and such men as Howell and Tom Cobb dreaded his biting sarcasm and his bold assaults, he had a case in court which, in some way involved the estate of a man who had died with the phthisic. In making out his briefs it became necessary for him to use the name of the disease with which the man died. Though frequently used, he invariably wrote the word 'tizic'. Judge Dougherty, a man who always insisted on doing everything precisely right, was on the bench, and ordered Mr. Nash to change his spelling. 'Please your Honor, what difference does it make for a man to die with two h's or without any. He's dead, and that's all there is of it.' He took his seat and nothing more was said."

18. x. MARGARETTE NASH, b. 1803, Jackson Co Georgia; d. Abt. 1903, Texas.

9. GEORGE6 NASH (JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born June 26, 1772 in Pendleton District, SC, and died May 16, 1852 in Jefferson Co. , Ala. He married ELIZABETH GENT. She died Bef. 1850.

Notes for GEORGE NASH:
In a book of Abbeville Co marriages, the following note appears:

marriage of daughters of George Nash of Ms:
Mahala Nash and Warren Truss
Nancy Nash and Z. Hagewood
Peggy Nash and David Hamsbey
Polly Nash and Sam Truss
Sally Nash and John Airs

It also records George's marriage to Elizabeth Gent.

Children of GEORGE NASH and ELIZABETH GENT are:
19. i. NANCY7 NASH, b. February 14, 1798, SC; d. March 10, 1829, Jefferson Co. , Ala.
ii. SARAH NASH, b. 1807, SC; d. April 22, 1842, Jefferson Co. , Ala; m. JOHN B. AYERS, February 09, 1826, Jefferson Co, Ala.
iii. JOHN NASH.
iv. COOPER NASH.
v. JESSE NASH, m. MARY L..
vi. MARGARET NASH, b. Abt. 1812, Abbeville, SC; d. Abt. 1884, Jefferson Co. , Ala; m. DAVID HARNESBY, January 17, 1829, Jefferson Co, Ala.
vii. MARY NASH, b. 1816; d. Bef. 1850, Jefferson Co. , Ala; m. SAM TRUSS, January 08, 1831, Jefferson Co, Ala.
viii. MILTON NASH, b. 1817, SC; d. December 07, 1837, Jefferson Co. , Ala; m. PERMILIA STOKES BAIRD.
ix. MAHALA NASH, m. WARREN TRUSS, January 01, 1830, Jefferson Co, Ala.

10. NANCY6 NASH (JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born November 06, 1773 in Culpeper, Va14, and died Aft. 1851 in Chickasaw Co, Ms. She married COL. REUBEN NASH September 30, 1792 in pendleton district, sc, son of JOHN NASH and MARY LONG. He was born June 25, 1771 in Culpeper, Va14, and died April 04, 1822 in Abbeville, SC.

Notes for NANCY NASH:
After the death of Reuben, Nancy moved to Mississippi. She lived out her life in the home of John Brownlee and his wife Diadema Nash (dau of Abner). The lived in Houston, Ms.

Notes for COL. REUBEN NASH:
Reuben, the son of John and Mary Nash, married Nancy Nash, daughter of James, his uncle.

Elected to State Legislature for Abbeville District - Carolina Genealogist County Records.

Reuben was a Lt. Col during the War of 1812, commanding Nash's Regiment. His records are in the US Archives.

Col Reuben Nash - Estate. (Abstracts of Old 96th & Abbeville district records - W. Young)
P238. June 3, 1822 by John (J.) and Valentine Nash, Wm Ware, Henry Delph bound to Moses Taggart Ord, sum of $5,000. Inventory made July 25, 1822 by Wm Long Esq, Edmond Ware Esq, William Matthison, John Seawright, William Richey. The inventory included a list of 8 slaves: Ben; Boys: Armsted, Pierce, Servia, Orange; Child: Harry; Woman: Sarah and Caroline. Ben and Sarah were originally given to Nancy Nash in James' will.

Children of NANCY NASH and REUBEN NASH are:
20. i. DR. JOHN J7 NASH, b. November 06, 1793, Abbeville, SC; d. September 07, 1832, SC.
ii. MARY ANN NASH, b. March 18, 179514; m. RICHARSON15.

Notes for MARY ANN NASH:
There is an announcement in Abbeville Co marriages:

Polly A. Nash to Daniel Richardson 1822 (daughter of Col Reuben Nash d. 1821)

iii. VALENTINE NASH, b. December 03, 1796, Abbeville, SC; m. MARY ANDERSON HODGES15.

Notes for VALENTINE NASH:
IGI Record 1903858 (from Family History Center) indicates that Valentine was born 3 Dec 1796 to Col Reuben Nash and Nancy Nash in Abbeville, SC.

The Metts papers say that Valentine married Mary Anderson Hodges (sister of Margaret Hodges) and moved to Columbus, Ms.

iv. NANCY ADELINE OPHELIA NASH, b. August 28, 1815; m. JOHN NASH, October 25, 1834, Lowndes Co, Ms.

Notes for NANCY ADELINE OPHELIA NASH:
Middle name shown as Ophelia in the Abner Nash family bible.

Notes for JOHN NASH:
The Metts papers say that John was a cousin, but it is not clear which one..

11. LARKIN6 NASH (JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born November 03, 1766 in Culpeper, Va, and died April 18, 1851 in Columbus, Ms. He married ELIZABETH HAYNE May 11, 1793 in probably Pendleton. She was born February 05, 1774, and died April 20, 1851 in Lowndes Co, MS.

Notes for LARKIN NASH:
Culpeper Co Marriages 1780-1853 Vogt & Kethley Jr.
Larkin Nash & Elizabetha Hayne 5 Nov 1793
min - John Hickerson (Baptist)

Pendleton SC Deeds 1790-1806 - Willie
p20-21. James Nash Sr., planter, for $100 sold to Larkin Nash, planter, 230 acres on W. side of Hencoop Creek part of 640 acres. 27 Jan 1802.

Carolina Genealogist: Vol 14, No 42 (Apr 4, 1821): Larkin Nash offers 400 acres on Hencoop Creek in Pendleton with a dwelling, kitchen, store house, barn & stable for sale.

Carolina Genealogist: Vol 15, No 34 (Feb 6, 1822): Sheriff's Sale - A tract of land, the plantation whereon Larkin Nash now lives, on Hencoop creek, where there is a good sawmill and cotten machine, property of Larkin Nash at suit of Briton Capell.

Marriage Notes for LARKIN NASH and ELIZABETH HAYNE:
another record indicates nash/hayne marriage was nov 5, 1793 in culpeper co. va. Larkin & his cousin Reuben, son of John moved to the 96th district, SC abt 1787. Larkin was granted 500 acres in 1787 (his land later totaled 1263 acres).

Children of LARKIN NASH and ELIZABETH HAYNE are:
21. i. REUBEN BOSWELL7 NASH, b. March 09, 1811, SC; d. October 26, 1879, Lowndes Co, MS.
22. ii. JAMES NASH, b. 1794, SC; d. Bef. 1851, MS..
23. iii. LUCINDA NASH, b. September 18, 1796, SC; d. March 18, 1877, Pickens Co, Ala.
24. iv. ELIZABETH NASH, b. 1806, SC; d. Bef. 1851.
v. MARY H. NASH, b. 1798; m. REED.
25. vi. NANCY NASH, b. 1800; d. Abt. 1851.
26. vii. WILLIAM VALENTINE NASH, b. 1807, SC.
viii. GEORGE S. NASH, b. 1809, SC; d. 1829.

12. ABNER6 NASH (JOHN5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born July 21, 177316, and died November 23, 1834 in Lowndes Co, MS. He married BETSEY PYLE February 09, 179516. She was born May 10, 177716, and died October 20, 184016.

Notes for ABNER NASH:
As of 1959, the home of Abner as still standing outside Columbus, Ms.

Children of ABNER NASH and BETSEY PYLE are:
27. i. ALANSON7 NASH, b. August 17, 1796, SC.
ii. DEIDAMIA NASH, b. September 21, 1798, Abbeville, SC16.
28. iii. GABRIEL EVANS NASH, b. August 16, 1800, Abbeville, SC; d. May 27, 1869, Leon Co. Tx.
iv. WILLIAM WHITFIELD NASH, b. November 02, 1802, SC16; d. September 06, 1871, Robertson, Tx; m. NANCY WRIGHT DOTSON, February 07, 1826, Pickens Co, Ala16.

More About WILLIAM WHITFIELD NASH:

29. v. JULIUS JANUS NASH, b. December 23, 1804; d. January 06, 1881, Ouachita Parrish, La.
vi. THEODOTIA NASH16, b. December 22, 1806, SC16; m. ALLEN COX, July 28, 1829.
vii. RYLAND HENRY NASH, b. February 26, 1809, Pickens Co, Ala17; m. ELIZABETH BELL JONES, July 17, 1844, Green Co., Ala.

Notes for RYLAND HENRY NASH:
Nash family bible says Ryland married Peachy on 10-23-1828. Could be first marriage?

More About RYLAND HENRY NASH:
Burial: Petty Cem. Pickens Co, Ala

viii. NIMROD NEWTON NASH, b. January 27, 1811, Pickens Co, Ala18; d. July 02, 1863, Gettysburg, Va18; m. EMMALINE, 1834.

Notes for NIMROD NEWTON NASH:
Nimrod was killed at Gettysburg during the Civil War.

ix. ESSIE UDOXIE NASH, b. December 27, 181218; d. 1864.
x. NANCY HARRISON NASH, b. December 27, 181418.
xi. SALLY RICHARDSON NASH, b. April 06, 181718; d. April 18, 1817.
xii. JOHN ABNER BUNYON NASH, b. October 28, 182118; d. 1845.
xiii. POLLY ANN LONG NASH, b. September 29, 1824; d. 1844.

13. EZEKIEL6 NASH (JOHN5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born January 11, 177618, and died 184619. He married ELIZABETH NORRIS POPE19 1801. She was born 1774.

Children of EZEKIEL NASH and ELIZABETH POPE are:
30. i. STEPHEN EVANS7 NASH, b. October 27, 1807, SC; d. July 16, 1863, Oktibbeha Co, Ms.
ii. O. L. NASH, b. Abt. 1809, SC20.

More About O. L. NASH:
Ordination: Methodist Minister.

14. COL. REUBEN6 NASH (JOHN5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born June 25, 1771 in Culpeper, Va21, and died April 04, 1822 in Abbeville, SC. He married NANCY NASH September 30, 1792 in pendleton district, sc, daughter of JAMES NASH and ANN JENKINS. She was born November 06, 1773 in Culpeper, Va21, and died Aft. 1851 in Chickasaw Co, Ms.

Notes for COL. REUBEN NASH:
Reuben, the son of John and Mary Nash, married Nancy Nash, daughter of James, his uncle.

Elected to State Legislature for Abbeville District - Carolina Genealogist County Records.

Reuben was a Lt. Col during the War of 1812, commanding Nash's Regiment. His records are in the US Archives.

Col Reuben Nash - Estate. (Abstracts of Old 96th & Abbeville district records - W. Young)
P238. June 3, 1822 by John (J.) and Valentine Nash, Wm Ware, Henry Delph bound to Moses Taggart Ord, sum of $5,000. Inventory made July 25, 1822 by Wm Long Esq, Edmond Ware Esq, William Matthison, John Seawright, William Richey. The inventory included a list of 8 slaves: Ben; Boys: Armsted, Pierce, Servia, Orange; Child: Harry; Woman: Sarah and Caroline. Ben and Sarah were originally given to Nancy Nash in James' will.

Notes for NANCY NASH:
After the death of Reuben, Nancy moved to Mississippi. She lived out her life in the home of John Brownlee and his wife Diadema Nash (dau of Abner). The lived in Houston, Ms.

Children are listed above under (10) Nancy Nash.

Generation No. 7

15. ELIJAH7 NASH (JAMES6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1)22 was born Abt. 1790. He married SARAH JOHNSON April 27, 1815 in Baldwin Co, Georgia23. She died Bef. 1840.

Notes for ELIJAH NASH:

Elijah Nash won the Georgia 1832 Gold Lottery
Distr/Sect/Lot
03/3/0685
18/3/0058

was a resident of Jackson Co, Ga. (he appears in the 1830 Census on p 331)
Elijah Nash (pg 331)
1 male under 5
1 male 30/40
1 female 30/40
18 slaves

Elijah appears in the 1840 Tuscaloosa, Ala census.
Elijah Nash (pg 225)
1 male 5/10
1 male 10/15
1 male 40/50
1 female 20/30
22 slaves

Appearing in Alabama Records Vol 78 (Tuscaloosa) is a Deed of Gift:
book S, p120, State of Georgia, Jackson Co
Deed of Gift from James Nash Sr. The gift was made to James'
grandchildren:
Martha Jane,
William,
George
The record states that these are the grandchildren of his son, Elijah Nash and further states that in the event of my (James) death, my son Reuben Nash shall be the trustee of the property. The gift was a slave. The record is signed 8 Nov 1834.

Elijah was referred to in James Nash's will as the eldest son.

Notes for SARAH JOHNSON:
Georgia Geneologist (Baldwin Co). records marriage
Eli Nash - Sarah Johnson 4/27/1815 Baldwin Co.

Children of ELIJAH NASH and SARAH JOHNSON are:
31. i. GEORGE WASHINGTON8 NASH, b. 1835, Ala; d. 1865.
ii. WILLIAM NASH, b. 1825.
iii. MARTHA JANE NASH, b. 1820.

16. JAMES JR7 NASH (JAMES6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1)24,25 was born 1803, and died 1897 in Jackson Co Georgia. He married MARY ANNE LEDBETTER 1835. She was born 1807 in Ga, and died in Jackson Co Georgia.

Children of JAMES NASH and MARY LEDBETTER are:
i. REUBEN LONG8 NASH, b. 1835.
ii. JAMES RUTHERFORD NASH, b. 1837.
iii. MARTHA J. NASH, b. 184926.

17. WILLIAM7 NASH (JAMES6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1807, and died 1854 in Madison Co Georgia. He married SOPHIA STONUM February 14, 1833 in Jackson Co Georgia. She was born 1803.

Children of WILLIAM NASH and SOPHIA STONUM are:
i. JOHN D.8 NASH.
ii. WILLIAM L. NASH.
iii. JAMES S. NASH.
iv. HANNAH R. NASH.
v. SUSAN M. NASH.

18. MARGARETTE7 NASH (JAMES6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1)27 was born 1803 in Jackson Co Georgia, and died Abt. 1903 in Texas. She married MICAJAH THORNTON November 17, 1839. He was born 1810.

Notes for MARGARETTE NASH:
Wilson's book states that Margarette, James Nash's daughter, recently died in Texas at the age of 100 years. She as born near old Etoho church before it became Oconee. Margarette was the wife of Micjah Thornton.

Children of MARGARETTE NASH and MICAJAH THORNTON are:
i. JOHN8 THORNTON, b. 1842.
ii. MARTHA THORNTON, b. 1848.

19. NANCY7 NASH (GEORGE6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born February 14, 1798 in SC, and died March 10, 1829 in Jefferson Co. , Ala. She married ZACHARIAH HAGWOOD February 14, 1814 in SC.

Child of NANCY NASH and ZACHARIAH HAGWOOD is:
i. ROBERT MANSFIELD8 HAGWOOD.

20. DR. JOHN J7 NASH (REUBEN6, JOHN5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born November 06, 1793 in Abbeville, SC28, and died September 07, 1832 in SC. He married MARGARET LONG HODGES Abt. 1820 in SC, daughter of JOHN HODGES and FRANCES ANDERSON. She was born June 10, 1800 in Abbeville, SC29, and died February 10, 1899 in Louisville, Ms.

Notes for DR. JOHN J NASH:

Dr. John J. Nash - Estate. (Abstracts of Old 96th & Abbeville district records - W. Young)
P236. Estate administered Feb 15, 1836 by John Weatherall Jr.., Joel Smith, John F. Gray, bound to Moses Taggart Ord, sum of $10,000. Mrs. Margaret Nash bought at the sale.

Notes for MARGARET LONG HODGES:
Second spouse - William P. Leech. Children from this marriage: Missouri Leech and Kitura Leech.

Marriage Notes for JOHN NASH and MARGARET HODGES:

Children of JOHN NASH and MARGARET HODGES are:
i. REUBEN MILTON8 NASH.
ii. JOHN NASH.
iii. VALENTINE NASH.
iv. BOLIVAR NASH.
32. v. MARY RICHARDS NASH, b. June 02, 1827, Abbeville, SC; d. November 04, 1922, Louisville, Ms.
vi. NANCY NASH.

21. REUBEN BOSWELL7 NASH (LARKIN6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1)30 was born March 09, 1811 in SC, and died October 26, 1879 in Lowndes Co, MS. He married SIDNEY FRANCES HARRIS December 18, 1845 in Lowndes Co, Ms, daughter of MARK MITCHELL HARRIS. She was born January 04, 1832 in Jefferson Co. , Ala31, and died October 30, 1915 in Lowndes Co, MS.

Notes for REUBEN BOSWELL NASH:
civil war soldier, school teacher

marlene wall (maralwall@mindspring.com) descends (via husband john) thru reuben.

Children of REUBEN NASH and SIDNEY HARRIS are:
i. REUBEN BOSWELL8 NASH, b. July 15, 1863, Lowndes Co, MS32; d. October 14, 1935, Lowndes Co, MS; m. CARRIE BLEDSOE WOOD33, November 06, 1894, Lowndes Co, Ms; b. October 23, 1868, Lowndes Co, MS; d. March 10, 1902, Lowndes Co, MS.
ii. SELWYN MALONE NASH, b. 186534.
iii. NETTIE NASH, b. 186934.
iv. BETTY NASH, b. 187134.
v. SIDNEY FRANCES NASH, b. 187334.
vi. LILLIE O. NASH35.
33. vii. HARRIS HANEY NASH, b. November 02, 1866.

22. JAMES7 NASH (LARKIN6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1794 in SC, and died Bef. 1851 in MS..

Children of JAMES NASH are:
i. GEORGE S.8 NASH35, b. Abt. 1830.
ii. ELIZABETH M. A. NASH35, b. Abt. 1830; m. WILLIAM WILSON, Bet. 1851 - 1856.
iii. MARGARET ISABEL NASH35, b. Aft. 1836.
iv. WILLIAM JAMES NASH35, b. Aft. 1836.
v. MARTHA JANE NASH35, b. Aft. 1836; m. JOHN H. CAMPBELL.

23. LUCINDA7 NASH (LARKIN6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born September 18, 1796 in SC, and died March 18, 1877 in Pickens Co, Ala. She married RUSSELL REBERT BUNNELL January 19, 1813 in SC. He was born 1728 in Ct.

Notes for LUCINDA NASH:
Chris Bryan (bryan@usit.net) descends thru lucinda nash.

Children of LUCINDA NASH and RUSSELL BUNNELL are:
i. THOMAS8 BUNNELL35, b. 1827.
ii. E. BUNNELL35, b. 1829.
iii. NANCY BUNNELL35, b. 1832.
iv. REUBEN BUNNELL35, b. 183535.
v. WILLIAM BUNNELL35, b. 1837.
vi. LARKIN BUNNELL35, b. 1840.

24. ELIZABETH7 NASH (LARKIN6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1806 in SC, and died Bef. 1851. She married WILLIAM BREWTON. He died Bef. 1851.

Children of ELIZABETH NASH and WILLIAM BREWTON are:
i. ELIZA8 BREWTON35.
ii. WILLIAM BREWTON35.
iii. REUBEN BREWTON35.
iv. WILEY BREWTON35.
v. REBECCA BREWTON35.
vi. SAMUEL BREWTON35.
vii. SILAS N. BREWTON35.
viii. GEORGE BREWTON35.
ix. ELIZABETH BREWTON35.

25. NANCY7 NASH (LARKIN6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1800, and died Abt. 1851. She married MR. MACAMSON. He died Abt. 1851.

Children of NANCY NASH and MACAMSON are:
i. WILLIAM8 MACAMSON35.
ii. JAMES MACAMSON35.
iii. MARY MACAMSON35.

26. WILLIAM VALENTINE7 NASH (LARKIN6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1807 in SC. He married MARY HOBBS October 30, 1834 in Lowndes Co, Ms. She was born 1815 in GA.

Marriage Notes for WILLIAM NASH and MARY HOBBS:

Children of WILLIAM NASH and MARY HOBBS are:
i. GEORGE8 NASH35, b. 1835.
ii. JAMES NASH35, b. 1836.
iii. LARKEN NASH35, b. 1838.
iv. V. WILLIAM NASH35, b. 1842.
v. EMILY NASH35, b. 1844.
34. vi. REUBEN WILLIAM NASH, b. 1846.
vii. MARY NASH35, b. 1848.
viii. LEANIDAS NASH35, b. 1851.
ix. MARTHA NASH35, b. 1854.
x. LAURA NASH35, b. 1856.

27. ALANSON7 NASH (ABNER6, JOHN5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born August 17, 1796 in SC36. He married JANE LINDSEY36 August 07, 1817 in SC. She was born 1798 in SC.

Notes for JANE LINDSEY:
Alanson & Jane's children are all shown in the 1850 Harrison County, Ms census. Alanson & Jane are both in Abner Nash's bible record. Probably children also.

Marriage Notes for ALANSON NASH and JANE LINDSEY:
Marriage Records, Old 96 & Abbeville 1774-1890

Children of ALANSON NASH and JANE LINDSEY are:
i. CONSTANTINE8 NASH, b. 1829.
ii. ERESMA NASH, b. 1831.
iii. HENRY NASH, b. 1836.
iv. LOUISA NASH, b. 1840.

28. GABRIEL EVANS7 NASH (ABNER6, JOHN5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born August 16, 1800 in Abbeville, SC36, and died May 27, 1869 in Leon Co. Tx37. He married (1) PRISCELLA. She was born Unknown, and died August 14, 1822. He married (2) ANN HALBERT April 06, 182338. She was born June 22, 1807, and died May 10, 1837.

Children of GABRIEL NASH and ANN HALBERT are:
i. REUBEN8 NASH, b. Abt. 1829; d. May 06, 182938.
ii. EVAN NASH, b. Unknown.
iii. JAMES NASH, b. Unknown.
iv. JOHN NASH, b. Unknown.
v. BETTY NASH, b. Unknown.
vi. FRANCES NASH, b. Unknown.

29. JULIUS JANUS7 NASH (ABNER6, JOHN5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born December 23, 180438, and died January 06, 1881 in Ouachita Parrish, La39. He married NANCY EDDINS April 20, 182540. She was born 180541, and died 1852.

Notes for JULIUS JANUS NASH:
Name shown in the Abner Nash family bible was Julious Junious Nash.

Leda Nash Bowden provided the following note:
Don's (McPherson) Nash branch comes off of Abner Nash who had the son: Julius Junius Nash that lived just outside of West Monroe, Louisiana. He married three times and had lots of children. Lived on a large plantation, but after the "War of Northern Aggression," some writers say, lost it all. He is buried on a piece of the land that is a Nash Cemetery. The Nash families were large in the South. But the children wouldn't stay on the plantation. Julius was listed as a basket weaver in his later years. How sad!

You might look for the fact that some of the Nash men died quite young. My father, Gilbert Lyles Nash died at 42 year old. He was a pharmacist, graduated: Tulane University, New Orleans. So was his brother, Martin Lee Nash. He died in his 30's. All the Nash men were short except the Newton branch. Most of the taller ones got their height from their mother's line. Don McPherson is not over 5 feet 7 inches. I've lots to tell you, but will try to organize it another time.

More About JULIUS JANUS NASH:
Burial: Nash Cem, Ouachita Parrish, La

Children of JULIUS NASH and NANCY EDDINS are:
35. i. WILLIAM ALGERNON8 NASH, b. 1829; d. 1862.
ii. FRANCES DIEDAIM NASH, b. 182641; d. 1859.
iii. WILLEY ANN NASH, b. 182741; d. 1880.
iv. REBECCA ELIZABETH NASH, b. 183241; d. 1847.
v. ESSA MATILDA NASH, b. 183441; d. 1891.
vi. JAMES ABNER NASH, b. 183641; d. 1884.

30. STEPHEN EVANS7 NASH (EZEKIEL6, JOHN5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born October 27, 1807 in SC42, and died July 16, 1863 in Oktibbeha Co, Ms. He married MARY JANE STANTON43 1841. She was born October 14, 1822 in NC44, and died October 26, 1859.

More About STEPHEN EVANS NASH:
Ordination: Atty

Children of STEPHEN NASH and MARY STANTON are:
36. i. WILEY E. NORRIS8 NASH, b. April 06, 1846, Noxubee Co, Ms; d. 1916.
37. ii. WILLIAM WARREN NASH, b. 1850; d. 1904.
iii. EMMA NASH, b. Starkville, Ms45.
38. iv. DELLA NASH, b. 1852.
v. ELVIRA JANE NASH, b. 184646; d. 1865.
vi. JAMES H. NASH, b. 184446.

Generation No. 8

31. GEORGE WASHINGTON8 NASH (ELIJAH7, JAMES6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1)47 was born 1835 in Ala48, and died 1865. He married CAROLINE DENNIS49 October 18, 1858 in Coosa Co, Ala, daughter of IRWIN DENNIS and ALCY A.. She was born April 1838 in Ala50, and died 1906.

Notes for GEORGE WASHINGTON NASH:
Alabama - Coosa Co 1860 Census

George W. William Nash (pg 125)
George W. 25 Ala Carpenter
Caroline 22 Ala

It is believed that George was killed during the civil war.

More About GEORGE WASHINGTON NASH:

Notes for CAROLINE DENNIS:
Amanda Caroline Dennis (also known as Caroline) - 1900 Elmore Co census.

Mar 6, 1878 edition of the Wetumpka Times has a marriage anouncement:

Marriage of G.W. Graham to Mrs. C.A. Nash on 2/28/1878 at the residence of
R.M. Dennis, Esq at Weoka, Ala.

Children of GEORGE NASH and CAROLINE DENNIS are:
39. i. NETTIE9 NASH, b. October 15, 1857, Weoka, Ala; d. 1934.
40. ii. JAMES BROOKS NASH, b. December 1861, Ala; d. November 26, 1903, Weoka, Ala.

32. MARY RICHARDS8 NASH (JOHN J7, REUBEN6, JOHN5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born June 02, 1827 in Abbeville, SC, and died November 04, 1922 in Louisville, Ms. She married MICHAEL ALBERT METTS November 14, 1849 in Louisville, Ms.

Children of MARY NASH and MICHAEL METTS are:
i. LEMUEL9 METTS.
ii. ANTOINETTE METTS.
iii. MICHAEL METTS.
iv. ROBERT METTS.
v. MOLLY METTS.
vi. KATE METTS.
vii. LULA METTS.
viii. JOHN PHILLIP METTS.

33. HARRIS HANEY8 NASH (REUBEN BOSWELL7, LARKIN6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1)52 was born November 02, 1866. He married LEONA JULIA CARTER52. She was born April 25, 1870 in Hazelhurst, Ms, and died December 14, 1900 in Columbus, Ms.

Children of HARRIS NASH and LEONA CARTER are:
i. FRANKIE9 NASH.
ii. HARRIS H. NASH52.
iii. PAULINE NASH52.
41. iv. STEVE DEWEY NASH, b. April 16, 1898, Columbus, Ms; d. August 14, 1983, San Diego, Ca.
42. v. LILLIE MARY NASH, b. August 04, 1889, MS.; d. June 29, 1990, Birmingham, Ala.

34. REUBEN WILLIAM8 NASH (WILLIAM VALENTINE7, LARKIN6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1)52 was born 1846. He married FRANCES52. She was born 1858.

Children of REUBEN NASH and FRANCES are:
43. i. NOAH V.9 NASH, b. 1871; d. 1909, Dunn, La.
ii. ROSA IDA NASH52, b. 1883.
iii. MARTIN NASH52, b. 1887.

35. WILLIAM ALGERNON8 NASH (JULIUS JANUS7, ABNER6, JOHN5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 182953, and died 1862. He married LAURA ELIZABETH BURNS. She was born 183953, and died 1896.

Children of WILLIAM NASH and LAURA BURNS are:
44. i. SARAH PEARSON9 NASH, b. 1860; d. 1947.
ii. EULA EUDORA NASH53, b. 1861; d. 1930; m. GEORGE W. MARET53.

36. WILEY E. NORRIS8 NASH (STEPHEN EVANS7, EZEKIEL6, JOHN5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born April 06, 1846 in Noxubee Co, Ms54, and died 1916. He married ALICE ERVIN55 1874. She was born 1857, and died 1905.

Notes for WILEY E. NORRIS NASH:
The book "Mississippi" by Rowland states that Wiley graduated from the University of Mississippi with a law degree and set up practice in Starkville, Ms. He was wounded in the Civil War and upon returning to politics, served as the Attorney General of Mississippi. The book goes on to say that his ggrandfather was a Revolutionary War Soldier and his ggrandmother was Miss Harrison, blood relative of Benjamin a signer of the Declaration of Independence and of the same family that gave us two presidents. The article says that this family counts Gen Francis Nash and Gen Abner Nash among its relatives. {This connection has not been made - and could be embellishment by the author.}

More About WILEY E. NORRIS NASH:
Burial: Oddfellows Cemetery, Starkville, Ms
Military service: Civil War (wounded)

Children of WILEY NASH and ALICE ERVIN are:
i. EVIE9 NASH, b. 187856,57; m. WILLIAM FLOWER HAND.
ii. HARRY NASH, b. 187657.

37. WILLIAM WARREN8 NASH (STEPHEN EVANS7, EZEKIEL6, JOHN5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 185058, and died 1904. He married ELLA BRIDGES 1888. She was born 1864.

Child of WILLIAM NASH and ELLA BRIDGES is:
i. JULIA9 NASH58, b. Pheba, Ms; m. STANLEY CARROLL.

38. DELLA8 NASH (STEPHEN EVANS7, EZEKIEL6, JOHN5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 185259. She married CEPHAS LOVE WILSON 1870. He was born 1846.

Child of DELLA NASH and CEPHAS WILSON is:
i. MAUDE9 WILSON, b. Mt. Hebron, Ala59; m. W. BIZZELLE.

Generation No. 9

39. NETTIE9 NASH (GEORGE WASHINGTON8, ELIJAH7, JAMES6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born October 15, 1857 in Weoka, Ala, and died 1934. She married CARY W. TUCKER, son of DANIEL TUCKER and WILMOTH THOMPSON. He was born April 05, 1841 in GA60, and died September 01, 1915 in Ala60.

Notes for CARY W. TUCKER:
email from Mark Buckley
Date: 5/31/99 11:45:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Following is what information I have on your g-g-grandfather:
Tucker, Cary W. Company B

Enlisted at Brooksville, Coosa County on March 6, 1862 by Captain James R. Cross for three years or the war. Enlisted at twenty years of age. Captured at the surrender of Vicksburg on July 4, 1863 and paroled July 10th. Furloughed about July 22, 1863 at Enterprise, Mississippi. Name appears on a
title of record, dated January 27, 1864: subject -- court martial. [no details on why. Obviously it was not serious enough to drum him out of service because his name appears on a Receipt Roll for Clothing for 2nd Quarter 1864.]

The above was verified by the service records (46th Ala Co B) of Cary W. Tucker.
=================================================================

Cary Tucker Memory of the Civil War
Home of My Father - Elmore Co, Ala July 30, 1915

While visiting my father C.W. Tucker, who was in the entire war from 1861-1865 (?) as a confederate soldier. He in conversation about his experences, told me, among other things that he in 1861 went to Montgomery Ala and was mustered in Co C (?) 3rd Ala under Capt Davee (?). Thence we were sent to Mobile Ala and were there about 12 months on picket duty. While in Mobile as our headquarters, we served on picket duty in Pensacola Fla, Fort Morgan, and Jacksonville, Fla.
In 1862, the 26th day of April, I with many others joined the regular army which lasted 3 years. We were young and inexperienced men and were sent to Lockapoka to drill. In June we went to Chattanooga Tenn and there joined the Tenn Army. We were then placed in the 46th Ala, Reg’t of Co B, Val (?). I remained in this Co and Reg’t until Jan 1864 when the 46th Ala Reg’t and the 23rd Ala Reg’t were consolidated. It was then known as the 23rd Ala Reg’t Co F. I fought in a number of battles, among them Ressacco Battles, Cumberland Gap (here we met the enemy and captured the entire force). After the battle of Cumberland Gap, we marched to Louisville Ky. Next was the Battle of Crab Apple at Louisville Ky. We then proceeded to Perryville, Ky. We had an engagement; we retreated to big Creek Gap; we then marched to Knoxville, Tn and there hibernated. The next engagement was at Dalton Ga, where we won a decisive battle; we then marched to Miss. Fort Hudson, retreated. Beseiged at Vicksburg and surrendered July 4th 1864.
I was captured 5 times, exchanged 3 times and escaped once. One time as 3 yankees had me under arrest, two of whom had gone aside for a few minutes, some of my friends, my comrades, fired on the soldier in charge of me and I heard them call out to me to run. I did so and found them hidden nearby. We then escaped. (The yankee fell dead.) During the war, I was wounded 5 times. That is I have 5 scars on me now that was caused by wounds received in battles.
I am anxious to keep those records and papers and should anything happen to me, I want someone of my brothers or sisters to take care and keep them. The old soldiers are now very few and while we all love our relatives, especially our fathers and mothers. We should feel an especial pride in a father who fought and bled for the cause they thought just and which we feel now was right. I am attaching herewith papers which will show that father was an honorable soldier and while he was a private in the ranks yet we see he volunteered and as he is now 72 years old he must have been very young. He was born April 5, 1842. That makes him on this day 73 years 3 mons and 26 days old.

Done in my law office. This the 31st day of July 1915.

G. M. Tucker
Prattville, Ala

More About CARY W. TUCKER:
Burial: Equality Methodist Cemetary, Equality, Al

Children of NETTIE NASH and CARY TUCKER are:
45. i. EFFIE MYRTLE10 TUCKER, b. November 26, 1900, Elmore Co, Ala; d. May 18, 1993.
46. ii. GRADY LEE TUCKER, b. June 1895, Ala.

40. JAMES BROOKS9 NASH (GEORGE WASHINGTON8, ELIJAH7, JAMES6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born December 1861 in Ala, and died November 26, 1903 in Weoka, Ala. He married EULA EUGENE BAZEMOOR December 29, 1887 in Elmore Co, Ala, daughter of EPHRAIM BAZEMOOR and HANNA ROBERTS. She was born September 1869 in Ala, and died March 25, 1911 in Birmingham, Ala.

Children of JAMES NASH and EULA BAZEMOOR are:
47. i. BESSIE MAE10 NASH, b. December 1889; d. Abt. 1970.
48. ii. DOVIE LEE NASH, b. June 16, 1891; d. February 03, 1975, Elmore Co, Ala.
49. iii. WILLIAM RICHARD NASH, b. March 1893; d. 1967, Birmingham, Ala.
50. iv. IDA BELL NASH, b. August 07, 1901, Elmore Co, Ala; d. February 23, 1984, Birmingham, Ala.
v. CARRIE ESTER NASH, b. April 1895; d. September 11, 1903.

41. STEVE DEWEY9 NASH (HARRIS HANEY8, REUBEN BOSWELL7, LARKIN6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1)61 was born April 16, 1898 in Columbus, Ms, and died August 14, 1983 in San Diego, Ca. He married VIVIAN JONES. She died in San Diego, Ca.

Child of STEVE NASH and VIVIAN JONES is:
i. STEVEN DEWEY JR.10 NASH.

42. LILLIE MARY9 NASH (HARRIS HANEY8, REUBEN BOSWELL7, LARKIN6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1)61 was born August 04, 1889 in MS., and died June 29, 1990 in Birmingham, Ala. She married JOHN WALL. He was born 1890.

Child of LILLIE NASH and JOHN WALL is:
i. JOHN10 WALL61, b. 1924; m. MARLENE MEACHAM.

43. NOAH V.9 NASH (REUBEN WILLIAM8, WILLIAM VALENTINE7, LARKIN6, JAMES5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1)61 was born 1871, and died 1909 in Dunn, La. He married NANCY CATHERINE DUNN. She was born 1871 in Dunn, La, and died February 14, 1909 in Dunn, La.

Children of NOAH NASH and NANCY DUNN are:
51. i. JAMES RUBEN10 NASH, b. June 24, 1904; d. March 17, 1969, Lakeview, Ga.
ii. LILLIE MAE NASH61, b. February 14, 1907.

44. SARAH PEARSON9 NASH (WILLIAM ALGERNON8, JULIUS JANUS7, ABNER6, JOHN5, WILLIAM4, WILLIAM3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1860, and died 194762. She married JOHN ROBERT MCPHERSON. He was born 1854, and died 191662.

Child of SARAH NASH and JOHN MCPHERSON is:
52. i. ROBERT LAURIN10 MCPHERSON.
...........................goes on from here but more recent generations---- This was put together by Ron Jones who is a James Nash (b. 1739, cullpepper county, son of William and Betty Nash) descendant. - Len
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
len 26 Aug 2005 5:17PM GMT 
Len 29 Aug 2005 4:04PM GMT 
Helen Wulff 20 Sep 2005 5:33PM GMT 
Len 26 Sep 2005 6:12PM GMT 
len 28 Sep 2005 4:11PM GMT 
Helen Wulff 1 Oct 2005 8:30PM GMT 
Lythouse 2 Sep 2005 8:06PM GMT 
Len 2 Sep 2005 10:49PM GMT 
Lythouse 7 Sep 2005 7:46PM GMT 
Len 11 Sep 2005 2:30PM GMT 
per page