Search for content in message boards

James Milton Neal - anyone using DNA to research?

Replies: 2

James Milton Neal - anyone using DNA to research?

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 8:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jan 2013 7:28AM GMT
Surnames: Neal, Hawkins, Rice
James Milton Neal was my ggg-grandfather. He was born in 1825 in Tennessee, d. unknown. He was married to Sylvania Turner, b. 1818 in Grainger, TN.

My 92-year-old father has now done two paternal DNA tests through ancestry. We have several "Very Closely Related" matches, but none with the Neal surname. I have had several "DNA Matches" with Native American heritage, but no specific link that I can determine. I mention this because my father has a particular interest in the possibility of Native American heritage. Several trees list Moytoy and other well-known Native Americans.

One "Third Cousin" match lists a Zachariah Neal, b. 1787, Prince Edward, Virginia, US, father Stephen and mother Priscilla Hawkins. Zachariah and his wife Rebecca Rice lived in the Beaver Pond, Virginia area. Unfortunately, one excellent source for this Neal line (Neals of Beaver Pond Virginia book by Carl Neal) is out of print, and I have not been able to get it through interlibrary loan. I do have 20 pages of the table of contents, basically a list of names and page numbers.

Dad has also tested through Family Tree DNA, and we'll have the final result of our first paternal DNA test there in about a week.

Hope to hear from anyone researching James Milton Neal who has any thoughts or help.

Diane
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DH_anmn8 27 Jan 2013 3:07AM GMT 
chrellis 28 Jan 2013 5:06AM GMT 
DH_anmn8 28 Jan 2013 8:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions