Search for content in message boards

Joseph & Martha/Amelia (Ward) Nixon Bible - Oglethorpe Co > Walton Co > Coweta Co., GA

Replies: 0

Joseph & Martha/Amelia (Ward) Nixon Bible - Oglethorpe Co > Walton Co > Coweta Co., GA

Posted: 13 May 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Bible
Edited: 4 Jul 2002 5:11PM GMT
Surnames: Nixon, Ward, Thurmond, Higgins
**Note -- I am amending this posting as of Jan. 20, 2000. Maynard Young, Jr. has sent me a 2nd transcription of the bible, by his mother, Mrs. Mozelle (Horton) Young. Her source for the bible was also Ray A. Nixon, Sr. who was not only a cousin but also a good friend.**

--V. F.
----------------------------------------
With apprehension, I am going to post this transcription of the bible that belonged to Joseph Nixon and his wife, Amelia Martha Ward. I have copied exactly as it appears on the typed paper that was sent to me this past Summer.

There are a few items that I question, based on records I have seen. There are other items that family members say are wrong based on their knowledge of the family history. PLEASE do not take this record a verbatim, but also do not dismiss it. Some of the items are 100% correct. I will list the items that others and I have questioned after the transcription.

I am indebted to Ray Nixon, Sr. for finding this bible and transcribing it for future generations. As Mr. Nixon has since passed away, I will never know the condition the bible was in when he transcribed it. If anyone has any idea regarding the whereabouts of the original bible please contact me.

Valerie (Johnson) Freeman
E-mail: VCJFreeman@aol.com
2 January 2000

--------------------
FROM THE NIXON FAMILY BIBLE
(AS COPIED BY RAY A. NIXON, SR. 8700 WILKERSON MILL RD. PALMETTO, GA 30286)

Joseph Nixon Born Aug 18, 1785.
He was born in Ireland & was a linen weaver.

His children:

Francis Nixon, born February 11, 1810
Mary Nixon, born February 25, 1812
John Nixon, born April 7, 1813
Wiley Nixon, born September 15, 1816
Parmely Nixon, born September 19, 1821
Eady Nixon, born April 17, 1825
Harrison Hagarman Nixon, born May 17, 1827
Elefair Nixon, born October 15, 1830 (This is Samuel)
Joseph Nixon, Jr., born August 17, 1833

Joseph Nixon, Sr. married Amy Ward
married in Ireland
Joseph Nixon died in 1848.
Amelia Ward died in 1853.
Buried in Nixon Cemetery near Haralson & Bethel Methodist Church.**

**Later known as the "Aunt Lucy Thompson Place." (Aunt Lucy Thompson nee Thurmond was first married to Joseph Nixon, Jr. He died in the Civil War. She married 2nd to David D. Thompson, who had a habit of walking out on her, saying he'd never come back -- and then returning.)

Possible errors -- Nixon bible.

1) Joseph's death date
Joseph is not listed in the 1840 census of Coweta Co., GA. His wife, Martha, is the head of household. Martha is also enumerated as the head of household in the 1850 Census of Coweta Co.
As Joseph's youngest son, Joseph, Jr., was born in Aug 1833, Joseph still had to be living as late as Dec. 1832/Jan. 1833 to "father" Joseph, Jr. Family histories in other publications have given Joseph's death date as 1830, but the existence of Joseph, Jr. seems substantial proof to question the 1830-death date. The best I have been able to do is narrow it down between Dec 1832 & 1840.

2) Amelia/Martha's death date
Per the 1860 Federal Mortality Schedule the following is found in Coweta County, GA:
Nixon, Martha; age 77 [1783]; died July 1860; born in VA; cause of death: Typhoid
The census records of 1820 > 1840 support a birth year for Martha between 1780 & 1790
For the 1850 census, Martha gives her age as 67, born Virginia.

3) Marriage location for Joseph & Amelia
If Amelia Martha Ward was born in Virginia, why would she go to Ireland to marry him? We have found record of Jos. Nixon m. Polly Ward (with Polly being an AKA for Martha) on 11 Jan 1809 in Oglethorpe Co., GA. This is the right time and location.

4) Burial location for Joseph & Martha Addressed by 2nd transcription 1/20/2000.
The bible is most likely correct that they were buried at the Nixon Cemetery. However, there is no record regarding their burial at Bethel Methodist. Maynard Young, Jr. states he saw their burial location in the late 1950 on the old Nixon homeplace, just outside of Haralson. This seems to be the same location found in the Coweta County Cemetery Book that gives the location of Samuel Nixons's gravesite off Gordon Road, between Luther Bailey/Bethel Church Road and Highway 85.
Also, Bethel was not organized until October 1838.
Mt. Pilgrim records state that Mary Jane (Higgins) Nixon, 1st wife of Samuel Nixon, was buried at the Nixon-Mathis Place. Mary died 19 Aug 1858.
?? Is the Nixon-Mathis place the same place that Samuel Nixon is buried and also the same place that Joseph & Martha are buried??** (above)

5) Samuel Nixon not included in bible record Addressed by 1/20/2000 revision+++
All evidence seems to show that Samuel was a sibling to Harrison, Wiley, etc. But he is not in the bible record. Was he somehow missed when it was transcribed? All census records give a birth year between 1818 & 1823, so I doubt that he is the same person and the Elefar born in 1830.

+++Per Mozelle (Horton) Young, Granddaughter of Harrison Nixon:

"I remember that Mama (Harrison's daughter, Alice Pearl (Nixon) Horton) thought the Elefair was Sam (nick-name) because he was the next younger than Grandpa (Harrison). Since they were both in the Civil War this sounds reasonable."

I welcome and look forward to your comments.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions