Search for content in message boards

Philip Nottingham, son of Anthanasius Nottingham of St. Mary's County, Maryland.

Replies: 1

Philip Nottingham, son of Anthanasius Nottingham of St. Mary's County, Maryland.

Posted: 5 Oct 2009 12:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: NOTTINGHAM, MCADAMS, BIRNS, BASHAM, FRENCH, DENNISON, CURTS, AMY, ATTAWAY
Searching for information concerning Philip Nottingham of St. Mary's County, Maryland who later moved to the Washington/Nelson Co., KY area about 1792.

Philip Nottingham is said to have been born about 1749 in St. Mary's County, Maryland. The 1749 birth date apparently stems from the fact that when Anthanasius Nottingham, Philip's father, wrote his will in 1767, Philip was mentioned first, probably indicating that Philip was the eldest child.

Anthanasius had apparently not reached his twentieth birthday by the time his father, Stephen Nottingham, wrote his will in 1745. Thus Anthanasius is thought to have been born about 1725 or slightly after.

In the will, Anthanasius bequeaths his plantation called "Nivitts St. Ann" to his son Philip. Assuming Philip was at least eighteen (18) years old at the time Anthanasius wrote his will (1767), this would place his birth about 1749 or possibly before.

Anthanasius's nine other children: Basil, Catherine, Eleanor, Bennett, Barbary, Elizabeth, Mary Ann, Ann, and Enoch Nottingham were apparently all underage (?) since Anthanasius requested that his brother, Matthias Nottingham "have care" of them. Thus it appears Philip Nottingham was the eldest son of Anthanasius Nottingham.

I have read that some of St. Mary's County (SMC) early records were destroyed in a courthouse fire possibly explaining why little is apparently known of Philip Nottingham while he resided in Maryland.

Philip Nottingham signed an oath of allegiance to the state of Maryland in 1777. John Basil Nottingham and Benj. Nottingham (?) were also signers. A typical example of the oath Philip signed is below:

"I do swear, that I do not hold myself Bound to yield any Alegiance or Obedience to the King of Great Britain his heirs or successors, and that I will be true and faithful the the State of Maryland, and will, to the utmost of my Power, support, maintain, and defend the freedom and independence thereof, and the Government as now Established, against all open Enemies, and Secret and traiterous Conspiracies, and will use my utmost Endeavours to disclose and make known to the Governer, and or some one of the binations, against this State or the Government therof, which may come to my knowledge. So help me God."

Philip Nottingham was married to Elender (---------) sometime prior to the birth of Ignatius Nottingham (born about 1784?). This is evident by Ignatius' marriage bond in Nelson County, Kentucky which clearly identifies his mother as "Elender Nottingham."

Some have shown Philip's wife as Manerva/Minerva/Menerva Nottingham born 1764 in Kentucky. This error was caused by a misreading of the 1850 census regarding the household of Stephen Nottingham (Philip's son). Included in Stephen's household was one "Manerva Nottingham." On the census page, Manerva's age is somewhat difficult to read. At a glance, it looks like 86, but it is in fact 16! Additional research shows this "Manerva Nottingham" was actually Stephen's daughter, Manerva (born 1833 in KY) who married Jesse Stanley in 1854.

Philip Nottingham was enumerated in the 1790 Maryland census.

1790 St. Mary's County, Maryland
Philip Nottingham: 1 free white male [over 16, presumably himself], 1 free white male [under 16, presumably Ignatius Nottingham (son)], 2 free white females [presumably Elender Nottingham (wife) and Ann Julia Attaway Nottingham (daughter)], and 3 slaves.

Philip Nottingham and family moved to Washington County, Kentucky about 1792. Some of Philip's siblings and their spouses also came to Kentucky about this same time. Assumingly, before Philip left Maryland, he sold his plantation called "Nevits St. Ann." Philip had received this "plantation" from his father, Anthanasius Nottingham in 1767, who had in turn received it from his father, Stephen Nottingham in 1745.

Philip died in Washington County, Kentucky sometime prior to 1801. Philip Nottingham and his wife, Elender had at least six (6) children:

1) Ignatius Nottingham (c.1784?-aft.1805) married Mary Birns(?), 1805, Nelson County, Kentucky.
2) Ann (Adria) Julia Attaway Nottingham (c.1789-1855) married William McAdams (c.1788-bef.1850), 1809, Nelson County, Kentucky.
3) Joseph Nottingham (c.1791/2-aft.1801) married ????
4) Elizabeth Nottingham (c.1794-aft.1870) married Samuel McAdams, Jr. (c.1790-1864), 1810, Harrison County, Indiana.
5) Benedict Nottingham (c.1796?-aft.1850) married Mary (---------).
6) Stephen Nottingham (c.1797-1866) married Nancy Basham, abt. 1821.

There may have been other children, but these are the only children I have documentation for.

In 1801, Bennet Nottingham, Philip's brother, made his will. In this will, Bennet names six (6) children of Philip Nottingham, dec'd: "The balance of the money is devised to the heirs of Philip Nottingham (deceased), to wit. Ignatius Nottingham, Ann Attaway Nottingham, Joseph Nottingham, Elizabeth Nottingham, Benedict Nottinghan and Stephen Nottingham. If any of them die before they come of age, the others are to inherit their share. They are to be paid as they come of age."

According to Bennet's will, all of Philip's six children had not yet "come of age." I have listed Stephen Nottingham as Philip and Elender's youngest child because Bennet Nottingham appears to have named Philip's children in order of birth, although census records may possibly suggest Benedict was the youngest.

I haven't found any additional information for Ignatius Nottingham and his wife Mary Birns(?).

I haven't found any mention of Philip's son, Joseph Nottingham after 1801. Because his uncle, Bennet Nottingham, listed him (Joseph) between Ignatius and Ann, I assume Joseph was born about 1791/2, either in Maryland or Kentucky.

There was also an "Altivia Nottingham" who married "Henry Quiggins" in Nelson County, Kentucky in 1818. I haven't found any additional information concerning Henry or Altivia.

A Phillip Nottingham shows up in census records for Breckinridge and Meade Co., KY in 1850 and 1860. This Philip was born sometime between 1799 and 1804 according to census records. He was married to Keziah/Kesiah. I don't know how he fits into the Nottingham family.

Philip's son, Benedict Nottingham married a woman named Mary and lived in Breckinridge County, Kentucky. Ann Julia Attaway Nottingham married William McAdams and also lived in Breckinridge County, Kentucky. Stephen Nottingham lived in that county until moving to Illinois; his sister, Elizabeth Nottingham moved to Harrison Co., Indiana in 1810.

The early records for Washington/Nelson Co., KY are both extant, and no doubt contain additional records concerning Philip and his wife, Elender. Guardianship and probate records in either county will provide much more information if someone will check these sources. I personally don't have any Nottingham documents from either of these counties.

The following record was found on the internet:

Guardian Accounts of Washington County, KY: Ann Julia Attaway Nottingham - Orphan,

State of Kentucky, Washington County, November County Court 1807.

Ann Julia Attaway Nottingham an infant orphan of Philip Nottingham deceased came into court and made choice of Henry Lucas as her guardian. Whereupon the said Henry Lucas together with John Newton his security executed and acknowledged bond in the penalty of two hundred pounds conditioned to secure the said orphans estate. Teste: John Reed, Clerk

I John Reed clerk of Washington County, aforesaid, do hereby certify that the above is truly transcribed from the records in my office. In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed the seal of my said county this sixth day of November A.D. 1807. And of the commonwealth the sixteenth. John Reed. John J. Ray presiding Justice.

Ann Julia Attaway Nottingham is the eldest (known) daughter of Philip and Elender. Her marriage bond identifies her as "Adria Nottingham," daughter of "Elinder Nottingham." The name "Adria" appears to have been only a nickname; she is listed as "Ann McAdams" in the 1850 census. Ann also signed as a witness on the marriage bond of her brother (Ignatius Nottingham), she signed her name as "Anguliatiway Nottingham."

Due to Ann's middle name of "Attaway," it has been suggested that it could be a family name, possibly Elender's side of the family.

I am descended from Philip and Elender's daughter, Elizabeth who married Samuel McAdams (Jr.). It appears Elender Nottingham accompanied Samuel McAdams (Jr.) to Harrison County, Indiana in 1810, because Elender gave her consent for Samuel to marry her daughter (Elizabeth Nottingham) in Harrison County in 1810. I will post their marriage record below:

Harrison County, Indiana Marriage Record:
Man's Name: Saml. McAdams
Woman's Name: Eliza Notingim
Marriage Remark(s): Consent being given by Elender Notingim, her mother.
Date: May 25, 1810.
Marriage Return: Joined together in marriage, Samuel McAdams & Eliza Notingim on May 25? (difficult to read), 1810, by James Lang.
Source: Harrison Co., IN Marriage Bk. 1, p. 3, marriage #21.

Samuel McAdams, Jr. and Elizabeth Nottingham had at least five (5) children:

1) Mary Ann McAdams married Isaac Mowrer. (my ancestors)
2) William McAdams married Cinderella Dennison.
3) Stephen McAdams married Sarah French.
4) John McAdams married a) Elizabeth Amy; b) Martha Ann Curts.
5) Lucinda McAdams.

I don't know if Elender stayed in Harrison County, Indiana or moved back to Kentucky with her other children. Technically, I can't be certain whether she actually came to Harrison County. Elizabeth Nottingham's marriage affidavit only mentions she had her mother's "consent" to marry Samuel McAdams. Elender did not sign the marriage affidavit. I have not checked the 1810, 20, 30, etc. censuses to see if Samuel McAdams (Jr.) is enumerated with a woman old enough to be Elender.

If anyone has any additional information on Philip and Elender Nottingham, please contact me.

Jesse Stamper
Leecorydon(at)juno.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jesse_Stamper 5 Oct 2009 6:30PM GMT 
Jesse_Stamper 5 Oct 2009 8:02PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic