Search for content in message boards

Hanlon/O'Hanlon - Dublin & Co. Kildare Ireland & possibly NY

Replies: 3

Hanlon/O'Hanlon - Dublin & Co. Kildare Ireland & possibly NY

Posted: 25 Jan 2012 10:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stoneham, Shercliffe, Sheerclief, Hanlon, Hanlen, OHanlon, Brien, McCaul, McCall
I am looking for information on the Hanlon family of Dublin, sometimes known as OHanlon. They may also have had roots/connections in County Kildare. Their history seems to be very intertwined with my own family, the Stonehams.

My great-great-grandfather John J Stoneham married Mary C O'Hanlon in abt 1903. His sister Margaret was married to Michael Hanlon back in 1885. According to my aunt, Mary C was Michael's neice. Mary's parents, according to a cousin, were William and Catherine McCall. I have found a marriage record for William Hanlon and Catherine McCaul in Dublin in 1863. William's parents are listed as Michael and Mary. The Michael O'Hanlon who married Margaret Stoneham listed his father's name as Michael on his marriage record, but his mother's info is not recorded. It seems likely that William and Michael were brothers.

Besides the marriage ties, the Stonehams and Hanlons often were sponsors for each other's children's baptisms and witnesses at each other's weddings.

I also found a record that is from a generation earlier of a birth of Alexander Peter Hanlon of 28 Fisher's Lane who was born to a Thomas Hanlon and a mother whose first name wasn't included but whose last name was Stoneham. Although I do not know who this Stoneham was or how she was connected I feel like there was probably a connection. According to Griffith's Valuation my great-great-grandfather's father Lawrence J Stoneham lived on Fisher's Lane, so I suspect that one of his sisters married a Hanlon (whether part of the same family of Hanlons I do not know).

Michael Hanlon and Margaret Stoneham's children were: Christoper Michael (b. 1885), Mary Margaret (b. 1887) and Peter Laurence (b. 1888). I would be interested in any info on them. There is also a connection to the Shercliffe family. On the 1911 census they have Lily Scherfliffe in their household, listed as a niece. I found a baptismal record for a Thomas Joseph Shercliffe, born in 1891 to William Shercliffe and his wife Catherine (O'Hanlon). Mary Stoneham was godmother. She was also Maid of Honor at the wedding of William and Catherine in 1890.

I recently got in touch with a cousin descended from my great-grandfather's brother and she found some old names in her mother's address book. Included were Leana and Seamus O'Hanlon of Upper Grandview, 450 So Broadway, NY 10960. I think that zip code is for Nyack.

Other Hanlon/O'Hanlons that I believe to be related/connected are (I'm jut going to call them all Hanlon for simplicity - the names switch back and forth on documents, even for the same person):

Possible siblings for William Hanlon (possibly born around 1841 - who married Catherine McCall/McCaul) are Michael Hanlon (b. about 1859 to 1862 - who married Margaret Stoneham), Patrick Hanlon (I haven't found anything about him yet, but he was best man at William's wedding), Catherine Hanlon (who married William Sherlciffe/Sheerclief - her parents are listed on her wedding document as Michael O'Hanlon and Mary Smith), James Hanlon (I don't know anything about him yet other than that he was best man at Catherine and William Shercliffe's wedding), and Peter Hanlon (he listed his parents as Michael and Mary at his 1858 wedding to Ann Brien and a Peter Hanlon was godfather to William and Catherine's son Thomas). I will be doing further research on these people to see if I can confirm anything, but if you have any news I would appreciate the help!

Probably siblings for Mary C O'Hanlon (daughter of William and Catherine McCall/McCaul)are Thomas Hanlon b. 22 March 1866, William b. 5 September 1868 and Michael b. 17 November 1873.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rstoneham77 25 Jan 2012 5:44PM GMT 
aoife77 24 Jul 2012 9:57PM GMT 
rstoneham77 29 Jul 2012 11:39PM GMT 
aoife77 30 Jul 2012 7:08AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions