Search for content in message boards

Benjamin Olcott of Kingston, Ontario and connections to WELLS families

Replies: 0

Benjamin Olcott of Kingston, Ontario and connections to WELLS families

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 10:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wells, Haines, Haynes, Lucas, Windover, Olcott, Castle
Have been working on some Wells families for past few days...how did I arrive here? I guess I was looking at my extended Hawley family and trying to figure out if Azubah Hawley married to Jesse WELLS was same person as Isabel Hawley daughter of Sheldon Hawley and Hannah Johnston. She is not. Azubah was the d/of Martin and Amy.

Anyway, got going sideways and started working on Wells families...

I see there are two different men named Olcott Wells. Many people have blended their families in error, or assigned each of them to wrong parents.

Jesse Wells and Azubah Hawley had a son named Olcott Benjamin Wells born abt 1830 died July 30, 1901 at Brighton in Northumberland County, Ont. This Olcott is in Brighton, Northumberland County for five census years 1861-1901. He was married only once to Harriet Amanda Haines or Haynes, the daughter of Wayman Haines and Sarah Hartin who lived at Camden East most likely from 1830's to at least 1846.

Wayman is found on the 1861 census at Brighton, Northumberland. I have very little info on Wayman and family. I do know he and Sarah had at least two sons: Thomas Shirley Haines and Cyrus Haines. I believe that Wayman and Sarah both came from Oneida County, New York State.

Olcott Benjamin Wells and Harriet Amanda Haines appear to have had four children, info taken from various census's: Thomas born in 1858; no further info on him yet; Charles Dorman born abt 1865- was he a twin to Norman? Norman Harvey Wells born abt 1865 married to Josephine George and had at least 3 children. And daughter Jennie Maud Wells born 1872 who married Charles Henry Lochhead from Camden East, son of Robert Lochhead and Hannah Hartin. I believe that the Sarah Hartin mentioned above who was wife to Wayman Haines was an aunt to this Hannah Hartin.

After Olcott Wells died, his widow Harriet Amanda Haines went to Camden East from Brighton, to live with her married daughter Jennie Wells Lochhead. She is with them on the 1911 census. Harriet Amanda died on Sept. 28, 1913 at Camden East.

The other Olcott Wells was born July 7, 1835, the son of Jehiel Wells and Sarah Williams or Lucas. He was therefore a first cousin to the Olcott Wells who married Harriet Haines. In 1851 Jehiel and Sarah were living at Fredericksburgh, Lennox County, Ont. with nine children and Sarah's mother, Lyda or Lydia Lucas, nee Jenckes, the widow of George Lucas. I see that Sarah is given surnames Williams and Lucas and don't know the source for the surname Williams. This Olcott Wells also had a brother named Benjamin Wells.

And just to confuse the issue...this Olcott was also married to a woman named Harriet. She was Harriet Windover, daughter of Peter Windover and Rebecca Huffman from the Napanee area. Harriet died on Nov. 28, 1899 in Kent County, Ontario. This Olcott did re-marry on Nov. 27, 1907 to Mary J. nee Dymond the widow of a Mr. Turrill. This Olcott lived most of his life in Kent County, Ontario and died there feb. 27, 1918. he and his wife Harriet Windover only had two children that I can find: a daughter Sarah Alice Wells born abt. 1863, and a son Leslie Wentworth Wells born in 1866.

And one of the other things I wanted to post, (and I believe that Linda Herman might be working on this family)...was some thoughts about Benjamin Olcott who lived in Kingston, Ontario. He owned a hotel and was quite a well known man at that time. He apparently died about 1848 and was married at least twice. His first wife was Harriet Mormelian ?? Momelian?? not sure of her surname. After Harriet died, this Benjamin re-married to a Mary WELLS:

Olcott, Benjamin. At Camden, on Tuesday last, by the Rev. J. Stoughton, Mr. Benjamin Olcott of Kingston to Miss Mary Wells of the former place. Kingston Chronicle, March 14, 1829, p. 3

I think that this Mary Wells was the sister to Jehiel and Jesse Wells and recorded widely in genealogies as Polly Wells. Both women were born abt. 1807. It would sure explain why both Jesse and Jehiel named sons Benjamin and or Olcott Wells.

After Benjamin Olcott died in 1848, Mary went to live at Brighton, Northumberland (where some of Jesse Wells' kids lived) and then re-married to a man named Thomas Curtis:

Note:
Christian Guardian, Toronto, Source Medium: Newspaper
Page: p. 402
Text: November 23, 1853: On 3rd inst. Thomas Curtiss of Brighton, to Mrs. Mary, relict of the late Benjamin Olcott of Kingston. (Rev. C. R. Sanderson).

Thomas Curtis and Mary apparently moved to Michigan but I have not yet tracked them there.

If anyone has more info about what I have posted here, please post to this board or write to me directly.

Thanks from Nora

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions