Search for content in message boards

Oshaughnessy researchers help needed

Replies: 0

Oshaughnessy researchers help needed

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 8:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am the Local History & Genealogy Associate with the Jennings County Indiana Public Library. While sorthing and putting out copies of some old estate records today I came across a file on a Nicholas O'Shaughnessy (spelled about 6 different ways in the file), with his sister Bridget Fitzsimmons being left as guardian of his minor children and being instructed to finish a home he was building here in North Vernon, Indiana. The minor heirs were Mary, Bridget and James. The O'Shaughnessy name is butchered in census records but I found Nicholas in 1860 in Jennings County listed under the name Shaney (the kids and sister match) except his sister Bridget is not showing as married at that point. In the 1870 census the children are living with Bridget Fitzimmon (sic). I have a feeling people might have missed these folks in their research since the names are so badly mangled. I would like to see if anyone has them in their family tree so I can add to this family file. Also I am going to do more checking in our old newspapers since Nicholas appears to have been a man of some means and his death should have been noted in them.

Sheila Kell

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions