Search for content in message boards

1649 immigration of David Peebles

Replies: 19

1649 immigration of David Peebles

Andy Blackard (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2005 8:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
My ancestor, John Blackard, was transported in 1649 by Charles Sparrow and Richard Tye and a ship called "The Perfect" and these 3 must have been neighbors of David and son William Peebles in the town of Merchant's Hope in Prince George/Charles City Virginia near Powell's Creek in 1650. William Peebles and Sparrow patented land together.

I cannot find a ships passenger list for The Perfect of any more information.

John Blackard may have been a Royalist soldier as was David Peebles. They both arrived in 1649. Doe anyone know the ship that David Peebles arrived on or if it could be the same ship as John Blackard? There is a legend of a family member being on an execution squad in our family too. Perhaps John Blackard and David Peebles knew each other and emigrated at the same time.

My researcher in Lincolnshire, England says that many Scots came down during the English Civil War to help the Royalists in Lincolnshire fight Cromwell. The border of Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire is where the supporters of Cromwell and King Charles I fought the first battle of the civil war only about 35 miles from where my Blackards lived.

The Blackards seem to have fled Lincolnshire after losing the war so perhaps my ancestor followed Peebles or someone back up to Fife to emigrate to America.

So question #2 is: Does anybody know if David Peebles was one of these Scots that came down to England to help fight against Cromwell?

Question #3: Are the names Willoughby and Trousdale/Truesdale familiar to the Peebles? John Trousdale also fled Lincolnshire at the same time as the Blackards. My ancestor was named Willoughby Blackard after the Willoughby family of Lincolnshire.

thanks,
Andy Blackard
smogman@mindspring.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Andy Blackard 6 Jan 2005 3:40PM GMT 
Andy Blackard 6 Jan 2005 8:30PM GMT 
Tina Jenkins 22 Jul 2005 12:56PM GMT 
andy blackard 12 Apr 2006 5:22PM GMT 
MPeeples51 20 Dec 2006 4:56PM GMT 
HarrietteLBes... 21 Apr 2011 3:02AM GMT 
MPeeples51 21 Apr 2011 12:13PM GMT 
CelestaE 11 Sep 2011 3:26PM GMT 
MPeeples51 11 Sep 2011 9:59PM GMT 
CelestaE 12 Sep 2011 3:05AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions