Search for content in message boards

William Penn Direct descendants and ancestors

Replies: 10

William Penn Direct descendants and ancestors

Monique Lockhart (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2000 11:30AM GMT
I have hit a wall myself in my own researches and was quite happy to come across this message board. I shall post what information I have and if anyone would care to assist me if they have information please email me at QDraconis@aol.com. Thank you

My great grandmother Anna Louise Spencer left a five page written letter of what she knew of the family history. I shall reproduce it here word for word: She writes:

"My mother Mary Elizabeth Huntley Spencer was the eldest daughter of Rachel Hannah Penn Huntley, she ws the eldest daughter of Tom Penn the Great great grandson of William Penn to whom the King of England gave Penn's Woods or Penn'sSylvania for a debt he owed William Penn's father who was a sea captain. Penn's Sylvania was a great deal more land then the state of Pennsylvania (currently). William Penn was a Quaker. Rachel Hannah Penn married Charles Gilbert Huntley, his ancestors were among some of the first settlers of New York when it was called new Amsterdam. My mother Mary Elizabeth Huntley Spencer was their first child and was born in the home of Tom Penn inTable Rock, Nebraska. My grandmother was only 16 when she married Charles Gilbert Huntley who was 15 years older then she, her two younger sisters married (I don't have their names)two of his nephews, (I don't have their names either). So three Penn girls married three Huntley men. Then Penns and the Huntley's crossed the plains in a covered wagon train. I think it was from Ohio. the Penn family settled in Nebraska and the Huntleys one day's journey by ox team across the line into Kansas. I was told some years ago that there is no city or town by the name of Table Rock but there is a section of country called Table Rock. Both families were Quakers and wore the Quaker costume then."

I will also add what little information I have on William Penn( founder of Penssylvania) himself:

William Penn:
b. October 14 1644 @St Katherine, Near, Tower of London, England
d. July 30 1718 @ Buckinghamshire, England
m. April 4 1672 @Calfrant Grange, ENgland. (please note he may have had more then one wife, I can't remember, seems to me one of his wives died of an illness according to a peice of the biography I was reading...I'd have to double check that. I have (hanging head in shame forgotten)

William's father: Admiral William Penn
b. April 23 1621 Nr. Tower of Londong, England
d. Sept 16 1670 Wansted, Essex, England
m. June 6 1643

Admiral Penn's father: Giles Penn
b. 1570/1580? of Bratten Par, Malmesbury, Wilt, Or Bristol, Gloucester, England
d. 1641/1656 Fex., Or, Morocco
m. Mov 5 1600

Admiral Penns mother: Margaret Or Joan Gilbert
b. abt 1580
Somerset, Or York England

William Penn's (Quaker) mother: margaret Jasper
b. 1610 County Clare Ireland
d. (no date)Wanstead Or, Walthamstow Essex
England
Please note, I have not yet been able to trace anything back farther on his mothers side of the family. According to the source I read, there is no record of her ancestory in record anywhere, not even with the Church of Latter Day Saints. And it is speculated she had several alies's for some reason and there was controversy on what her real blood name was.

Admiral Penns ancestry was speculated to go back somewhere to a bunch of pirates...Admiral Penn, (Williams Father) was a true patriarch and military man...he was terribly ashamed of William for becoming a devoted Quaker (not manly enought for his military taste) and disowned him for many many years much to the pain of William himself who loved his father deeply. As a young child William supposedly had a psychic vision of sorts giving him instruction for his life path....which is what led him upon the Quaker path. William had been emotionaly inspired by a Quaker priest he had heard as a child...and the impression was strong enough to make him a believer and he pleaded admission into the Quaker society. He also had a great deal to do with the founding Fathers of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. And he worked very closely with them. It is also said he was persecuted many times and came close to hanging as a heretic during the "with hunts" of the colonists. I have not yet finished reading the biography as the copy I found was not elegible to be checked out of the library....it had to remain in the library permanently. Someday I'll visit the library again and keep reading, so that is all I have so far. Hope this helps anybody...and PLEASE if you have any information on the Tom Penn branch of the family I'd be delighted. Many blessings for peace profound!!!!!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Monique Lockhart 27 Mar 2000 6:30PM GMT 
jtmclean 1 May 2000 4:12PM GMT 
Monique 2 May 2000 9:26AM GMT 
jtmclean 2 May 2000 9:55AM GMT 
chrissysturn3... 5 Jun 2011 7:47PM GMT 
chrissysturn3... 4 Jun 2011 11:32PM GMT 
chrissysturn3... 4 Jun 2011 11:32PM GMT 
david nichols 28 May 2000 8:06AM GMT 
Monique 28 May 2000 12:25PM GMT 
marisa1 27 Jul 2000 12:02AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions