Search for content in message boards

Joseph Perkins, Harper's Ferry Armory 1802-1807

Replies: 2

Joseph Perkins, Harper's Ferry Armory 1802-1807

Ann Fourt (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jul 2002 9:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Perkins, Stubblefield, Beckham
I am researching whether there might be a connection between the Joseph Perkins who was the first superintendent of the Harper's Ferry, VA Armory around 1802 - 1807, his successor James Stubblefield, and the Perkinses/Stubblefields in St. Clair County who intermarried from 1816 - 1817 and 1825. Seems like quite a coincidence ...

James Stubblefield was a plantation owner and gun maker from Stevensburg, VA when appointed the second superintendent of Harper's Ferry in 1807. His wife was Mary Beckham. He owned a part interest in a local distillery and owned with the Beckhams (his in-laws) a tavern in Harper's Ferry.

I do not know anything about Joseph Perkins, the first superintendent of Harper's Ferry. He was at Harper's Ferry in 1802 when Meriwether Lewis requisitioned arms for the Lewis & Clark Expedition.

In St. Clair County, Illinois, we have the following marriages:

Mary Stubblefield m. Ephraim Perkins, Aug. 9, 1817
(Ephraim Perkins from North Carolina)

Thomas Stubblefield m. Violet Perkins, Oct. 4, 1816

John Stubblefield m. Becky Perkins, March 3, 1825

Also around this time in St. Clair County, IL we have a Jesse Perkins marrying Mary Tedwell May 8, 1817 (Jesse Perkins from Livingston Co., KY) and Solomon Perkins marrying Mary (Polly) Ogle Dec. 9, 1819.

Solomon was a brother to my ancestor, Daniel Reese Perkins. I believe their father was Solomon Perkins of Livingston Co. KY but have not proven this yet.

Any of you Perkins researchers know of a connection between the Harper's Ferry, VA Perkinses/Stubblefields and the St. Clair County, Illinois Perkinses/Stubblefields? Seems like they MUST be connected somehow.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ann Fourt 28 Jul 2002 3:46AM GMT 
Pat Diehl 26 Nov 2002 10:53PM GMT 
Ann Fourt 27 Nov 2002 12:58AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic