Search for content in message boards

Willis PERRY (1756-1833+), North Carolina > Georgia

Replies: 3

Willis PERRY (1756-1833+), North Carolina > Georgia

Posted: 30 Dec 2010 5:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PERRY, MAXWELL, CUTTS, WADE, BYRD
I've traced back from my great-grandfather John Isaiah PERRY [b. 10 Oct 1878, Calhoun County, Georgia, USA; d. 7 Mar 1956, Ft McPherson, Fulton, Georgia, USA], m. (17 May 1908 in Decatur County, Georgia) Lyda Ellen MAXWELL [b. 10 Oct 1890, Amsterdam, Decatur, Georgia, USA; d. 8 Jan 1922, Sale City, Mitchell, Georgia, USA]
> to >
William Preston PERRY [B: 14 May 1840, Arlington, Early, Georgia, USA; D: 20 Dec 1908, Calhoun County, Georgia, USA], m. (abt. 1871 in ?) 2nd wife Elizabeth Margrette CUTTS [b. 29 Jan 1854, Calhoun County, Georgia, USA; d. 16 Aug 1923, Sale City, Mitchell, Georgia, USA]
> to >
Joshua PERRY [B: 6 Dec 1805, Warren County, Georgia, USA; D: 29 Mar 1863, Calhoun County, Georgia, USA] m. (2 Oct 1832 in Screven County, Georgia) Louvisa/Louvicia Ann[e] WADE [b. 26 Sep 1806, Screven County, Georgia, USA; d. 9 Oct 1884, Calhoun County, Georgia, USA]
but I can't get any further with documented evidence.

The consensus online is that Joshua's parents are:
Willis PERRY [b. 31 Jul 1756, Franklin County, North Carolina, USA; d. aft 1833, Muscogee County, Georgia, USA] m. (10 Jun 1779 in North Carolina ?) Kiddy BYRD [b. 22 Oct 1761, North Carolina, USA; d. 29 Nov 1819, Jackson County, Georgia, USA].

I finally got a look at a print-out of the microfilm of "History of Edwards-Perry and Allied Families" by Carolyn Edwards Fleetwood and Joan Prevost Fortune (1992, manuscript; Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, 929.273 Ed98f, microfilm 795916 Item 3). This work appears to be the basis for the majority of the people claiming descent from seven PERRY brothers who appeared in the North Carolina record in the mid-1700s and owned extensive properties through Granville/Bute/Franklin and nearby Counties. Many of their children and grandchildren began migrating west through Georgia and onward to Texas. Chapter II of Part I, "Perry - Introductory Chapter" (pp 15-22) contains some general information about Jeremiah PERRY and his brothers. "Part II, The Seven Perry Brothers and Descendants" (pp 155-204) discusses these brothers and their lines. The seven brothers were Joshua, William, John, Francis, Jeremiah, Nathaniel & Burwell. Some sources change the order and show Jeremiah as the eldest instead of Joshua.

The section on Willis PERRY begins on page 179. Willis is the eldest son of Jeremiah (wife is unknown). According to page 180, Joshua is the youngest of Willis' 12 children. The brief mention of Joshua PERRY is on page 185 and the only source cited is "Mrs. Marie Green Meacham [sp? blurry copy] descends from Willis Perry through his son, Joshua". According to Fleetwood & Fortune, Willis and Kiddy had twelve children: Hiram (b. 1780, m. Nancy Flake), Jeremiah (b. 1782, m. Elizabeth Walker), Jesse (b. 1784), Willis (b. 1787), Polly (b. 1790, m. William Teddley), Benjamin (twin, b. 1793, m. Mary Heath), John (twin, b. 1793, m. Nancy Cloud), Byrd (b. 1795, m. Rebecca Cloud), Solomon Perry (1787-1821), Francis Perry (b. 1800), Isaiah Perry (b. 1802, m. Jane Chandler), and Joshua (b. 1806, m. Louvicia Ann Wade).

OK, here's where I'm probably going to get into trouble. I don't want to offend anyone, but where's the evidence? It seems to me that, at least for the PERRY lines, all of Fleetwood & Fortune's evidence is based on family tales. I don't see any evidence of documentary proof. Has there been followup to Fleetwood & Fortune? Does ANYONE have documentary evidence of the relationship between Willis PERRY and Joshua PERRY????

According to the Revolutionary War Pension application affidavit of Willis Perry on 12 June 1833, filed in Muscogee County, Georgia, in his "Answer to Interrogatories":
Answer 1. I was born in Franklin County North Carolina in the year 1756 on the 31st July.
[Answer] 2. I have a record of my age in a Bible at my son's in De Kalb, & probably is also recorded in North Carolina on the Church Records.
[Answer] 3. I lived in Franklin County N.C. when I entered the service, & moved from thence to Warren, formerly Wilkes County, Georgia in 1786, & thence to Jackson County in 1816, or 1817. & finally to Muscogee County in 1827. [1826, then the 6 overwritten with a 7] where I now reside.
So Willis appears to have been in the right county at the right time. But I haven't seen any evidence of wills, deeds or other documents that prove a relationship. Does anyone know where this Bible Willis speaks of went?

There is a Willis PERRY living in Jackson County, Georgia, in the 1820 US Census (1 male 10-15, 1 male 16-25, 1 female 16-25, 1 male 45+, no slaves) [http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=0&dbid=7... if you have Ancestry, otherwise the microfilm reference is 1820 U S Census: , Jackson, Georgia, Page: 305; NARA Roll: M33_8; Image: 240]. The three youngest children of Willis as given in Fleetwood & Fortune certainly would match that, and since Willis' wife Kiddy died in 1819 that also fits. There are some Perry's in Muscogee County, Georgia, on the 1830 census but no Willis PERRY.

Did Kiddy leave a will that I haven't heard about yet? Was Joshua maybe mentioned in that? When Willis moved southwest to Muscogee County in 1827, is that when Joshua moved back toward the southeast part of Georgia, near where he was born? We know Joshua was living in Screven County, Georgia, by 1832 when he married Louvisa/Louvicia Anne WADE, and according to Fleetwood & Fortune four of Willis' children married in Warren County prior to his move to Jackson County, and two more married in Warren County after he moved. I was able to find those six plus one son who married in Jackson County on the Georgia's Virtual Vault site (http://cdm.sos.state.ga.us/cdm4/countyfilm.php), and even though two or blurry and "iffy", they seem reasonable.

It fits, but it's still circumstantial. I would like to have just one piece of evidence that ties Joshua to Willis or Kiddy or both. I hope I haven't offended anyone by questioning their assumptions. I just have too many assumptions in my family tree for comfort!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
timij57 31 Dec 2010 12:13AM GMT 
Richard Perry 21 Apr 2014 1:14AM GMT 
MUSEK 21 Apr 2014 7:52PM GMT 
PrrySus 16 Jul 2014 3:17AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions