Search for content in message boards

Richard Pettigrew

Replies: 3

Re: Richard Pettigrew

Posted: 19 Oct 2010 10:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Petticrew, Pettigrew
We are likely distant cousins, but it is not through the Richard Franklin Pettigrew ancestral line. There is no connection, in America at least, between the RF Pettigrew line, which goes back to VT, and that of the Pettigrews/crews of Rockbridge Co. VA, where Washington Pettigrew was born in 1801. His name may have been George Washington, but I have mostly seen it as Washington. (See my notes below, which I posted on another thread.) He was the father of your George Washington Pettigrew, b. 1830-31.

I have been researching the Rockbridge Co. VA Petticrews/grews for many years and can help you with your questions. The immigrant James Petti/ycrew came to Lancaster Co. PA (the part which later became Dauphin Co.), probably from Ulster, Ireland, by the mid 1750s. He and his family moved to Rockbridge Co. VA about 1793-4, where he died in 1798-9. His sons were William, John, Robert, James Jr., and Samuel, and one daughter Elizabeth. His wife was Jean Ainsworth, who died in VA about 1810.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Bev

----------

There is controversy surrounding this Pettigrew [GW, b. 1801], including whether he was ever named George. His marriage bond is signed Washington Pettygrew and he appears in the following censuses as Washington:

1830 Rockbridge Co. VA
1840 Greene Co. OH
1850 Madison Co. IN
1860 Madison Co. IN

and also on his gravestone:

PETTIGREW, WASHINGTON 75Y. 10M. 27D. SEP. 28, 1877 BEECH GROVE

See it here:
http://www.cemeteries-madison-co-in.com/beech_grove.htm

Whether the gravestone reads Pettigrew or Petticrew is also disputed.

What is known for sure is that Washington Pettigrew was NOT a son of John Finley Petticrew, whose children are all known. John Finley and his family left Rockbridge Co. VA about 1806, and Washington appears there on the 1830 census.

Who is Washington's father is another controversy. The two brothers who were old enough were William and John. John married Mary Ward in Dauphin Co. PA. He died intestate in VA in 1830, but when Mary's estate was probated in 1856, Washington was not mentioned, so it is doubtful that Washington was John's son.

I believe Washington was son of William and Isabella. Since it is unknown where William died, in VA or OH or elsewhere, and no will is available, it can't be known exactly who his children were. Only two are documented. One is Jane who married David Parsons in 1817; David was the brother of Washington's wife Mary. The other is my ancestor James who was born to William in Dauphin Co. PA in 1790/1.

I have done calculations on the 1800-1820 census records for William in Rockbridge Co., to try to determine his children, and Washington's 1801 birth fits well within the age groups of male children.

I am a descendant of this William, so if Washington was his son, then we have a common ancestor.

I would welcome comments on any points I made here, if anyone can offer any clarification.

Bev

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mothernature3... 15 Oct 2010 8:19PM GMT 
RichardPettig... 15 Oct 2010 10:02PM GMT 
mothernature3... 18 Oct 2010 9:20PM GMT 
ttsk07a 19 Oct 2010 4:22PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions