Search for content in message boards

Samuel Petty--Gabriel Petty

Replies: 0

Samuel Petty--Gabriel Petty

Posted: 19 Nov 2013 8:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Petty Darwin Clanton Shelley
Does anyone have information on Samuel Petty, the son of Gabriel Petty and Sarah Darwin?
My husband is descended from Samuel Petty b 1810 TN who married Dorothy Shelley and moved to Putnam, Indiana, then Iowa. He took a DNA test and matches (on the same chromosome/segment) three descendants of James Petty and Martha Clanton. These matches say they are 3rd-5th cousins. Samuel Petty is his 4th GGF.

I researched James and Martha and from the info I can find (not sure how accurate it is), they had two known sons who lived in Tennessee--Thomas and Gabriel. Gabriel had a son named Samuel who supposedly died in 1829 after a scandalous affair. I haven't seen a grave or death record or will or anything proving this death.

What sticks out to me is that Gabriel's second son was Jonathan, and trees claim he died in Tennessee in 1849. Again, no proof, and I'm wondering if people assumed it because he wasn't in Dickson County for the 1850 census. My husband's ancestor Samuel lived in Parke, Indiana (at least the census matches him very closely) by a Jonathan Petty born the right time and date for Gabriel's son. Samuel also had a son named Jonathan. Both he and Jonathan had sons named James H.

I want to know if I can rule out these men. Did Samuel and Jonathan Petty, sons of Gabriel, truly die in Tennessee in 1829 and 1849? Or could they have just ran to Indiana after this scandal (and Samuel marrying Dorothy in Jefferson, TN)? If it is NOT them, then does anyone have any information that can help me understand how my husband is the 3rd-5th cousin of descendants of Gabriel's brothers and sisters? Thanks!

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions