Search for content in message boards

William Pickering of Rockingham County

Replies: 6

Re: William Pickering of Rockingham County

Posted: 24 Mar 2012 4:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello William,

My name is Hugh Pickering. I have a brick wall with a William Pickering. My father William L. Pickering his father William Hanson, his father Isaac, his father Isaac Hanson Pickering b.14 Jul 1811 in Portsmouth, NH (family Records no Birth Certificate) Then I found a marrige record for a William Pickering and Abigail Hanson m. 16 May 1808 in Portsmouth. I feel that William and Abigail are Isaac's parents because Abigail's father's name is Isaac Hanson. The problem I am having is finding any record of them until Isaac Hanson Pickering was living in Brewer ME. Isaac served in the 1839 Aroostook War (called the bloodless war). He married Sarah King Cobb and they had one child Isaac She died in 1848. He sold out and he and son moved to WI.

I think I have good birth dates and death dates for both William and Abigail but no records. William b.1758 d. 1818 and Abigail b. 1784 d. 1855. I am not sure where William came from, John of Rockingham County, NH or John from Salem, MA. A story has been passed down through my family was that three or four brothers came over from England together but all went their seperate ways. Abigail's family were Quakers until the end of the Revolutionary war when Isaac Hanson came home and the Quakers ask him to repent his sins in fighting in the war. He refused and the Quakers disowned him. His families records stopped after that. If you can help me in any way I would be most grateful.

Thank you,
Hugh Pickering
Redmond, OR
hmpickon2@bendbroadband.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jferren1 14 Jan 2002 11:03PM GMT 
WilliamPic 16 Dec 2011 5:16PM GMT 
HughPickering... 24 Mar 2012 10:05PM GMT 
jferren1 25 Mar 2012 2:25PM GMT 
LauraPickerin... 19 Mar 2013 3:53PM GMT 
jferren1 20 Mar 2013 12:55AM GMT 
richardbarbea... 13 May 2014 3:39PM GMT