Search for content in message boards

Pickles of TN, MS, and AR

Replies: 2

Pickles of TN, MS, and AR

Posted: 13 Jun 2010 3:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pickle, Newton, Duggins
I am tracing my husband's g-g-grandmother Sarah (Sally) J Pickle. I've found when I hit a block wall, I start tracing the siblings...so I went searching for her brothers and sisters.

The only Sarah Pickle that fits the bill is the Robert W Pickle family in the 1850 census for DeSoto County, Mississippi: it shows Robert W. Pickle, age 32, a farmer, born in Tennessee. His wife, Julia, is age 32, born in Tennessee. Four children are living in the household: Sarah F., age 7, born in Tennessee; Margaret E., age 4, born in Tennessee; America J., age 3, born in Tennessee; and Isabella, age 1, born in Mississippi.

By 1860 (before the war) Robert is gone or dead:
The 1860 Federal Census for DeSoto, Mississippi (Senatobia Post Office) shows Judah (Julia) Pickle, age 40, born in Tennessee. Living with her are five children: S.F. Pickle, age 15; M.E. Pickle, age 13; A.J. Pickle, age 12; I.M. Pickle, age 10; and William Thomas Pickle, age 8. The children were born in Tennessee, except for the two youngest and they were born in Mississippi.

In 1870, they are still there in Arkabutla PO.
Julia 50 TN, Margaret 21 TN, America 19 TN,Isabella 17 TN,
Wm 15 TN

By 1880, I found Wm with his sister Isabella in White River, Marion Co, AR:
Household Members: Name Age
Allen H. Newton 30
Isabeler M. Newton 27
Thomas N. Newton 6
Idia F. Newton 4
Adia Newton 1
William T. Picle 25

on the same page is a Margaret Pickle age 4 with her grandparents Allen and Elizabeth Newton.

After some research and a lot of help from Marion Co lookups by Mysty (many thanks!), I think I've pieced together what happened to Isabelle and William Thomas. Isabelle Pickle Newton had 4 children (Thomas, Ada, Ida and Nettie) and died after 1920. William Thomas "appears" to have been married twice. He first married Martha Frances Newton in the early 1870s(possibly Fannie Newton, dau of Allen & Elizabeth Newton and sister to Isabelle's husband. ) It appears he had Margaret Frances Pickle in 1875-6 and her mother died shortly there after. By 1880, Wm T is living with his sister above and his daughter is with her grandparents. In the early 1880's, Wm T married Sarah Ann Williams. They had two children Mary Alice Pickle 1883 and Wm Thomas Pickle Jr (1884). Wm Thomas Sr died 2 months before his son was born.

Sooooooo...
#1 Anyone have any knowledge of a Robert W Pickle and wife Julia from TN?
#2 Anyone know what happened to siblings Margaret E or America J Pickle?
#3 Any descendants of Isabelle or Wm Thos have any additional family information? obits? family lore?

FYI- Sarah J Pickle (Sally Pickle) married William Franks in DeSoto, MS and died in Oklahoma.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pvmeistrel 13 Jun 2010 9:54PM GMT 
PMorrison176 18 Sep 2010 11:42PM GMT 
pvmeistrel 19 Sep 2010 3:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions