Search for content in message boards

Poe families of Fayette County, Alabama; where could my Elizabeth fit in?

Replies: 5

Poe families of Fayette County, Alabama; where could my Elizabeth fit in?

Posted: 26 Jan 2003 7:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Poe, Wright, West
My great great grandfather (William Daniel Wright, born Jun 27, 1847 in AL)'s death certificate lists his mother's maiden name as Poe (no first name, born in AL). His father's name is listed as William H. Wright.

In 1850 Choctaw Co, AL there is a Wm. H. Wright w/wife Elizabeth (age 21) and son Wm. D. Wright (age 3). Why they are there, I haven't the foggiest (this is the only family that fits, though).

By 1860 in Fayette Co, AL I find Elizabeth C. Wright as head of household, age 31, w/son William D. age 11 and 3 other children (Jas. M age 8; Mahala J., age 6; Rebecca A, age 4). She is living amongst a "clutch" of Poe families: Calvin Poe's family is in dwelling 573; S. C. Poe's family in dwelling 574, 575 is some other family I didn't transcribe, 576 is Elizabeth Wright and family, and 577 is Stephen N. Poe and family. Of these Poe's only Calvin (age 55) is old enough to be her father. That doesn't mean he is, of course.

I do not know where Elizabeth or William are in 1870; but in 1873 William Daniel Wright married America Jane West (my great great grandmother) in Fayette Co, AL. William D. Wright and America Jane West moved to Winston Co., MS around 1890 or so, raised their family there, and remained there until they died.

So finding a family that fits in 1860 Fayette Co, living amongst other Poe's (given that is his mother's maiden name) makes me think this is the correct Wright family. And I would assume that the Poe's are related to her somehow; my question is how? I've been perusing other's gedcoms for the family of Calvin Poe and there is no child, niece, cousin, etc. listed that fits her profile (and apparently he had plenty children; I haven't found any lists that match Stephen N. Poe next door to her, either)...is anyone familiar w/this Fayette Co, AL Poe family, and where (if at all) my Elizabeth could fit into it? Or anything else that could point me in the right direction?
Many thanks in advance for any help!

-Pam
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
paniscus 26 Jan 2003 2:33PM GMT 
William Poe 26 Jan 2003 3:49PM GMT 
paniscus 28 Jan 2003 5:47AM GMT 
muddauber40 16 Dec 2005 8:41PM GMT 
paniscus 18 Dec 2005 5:51AM GMT 
watermelonluv... 13 Dec 2012 4:02PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic