Search for content in message boards

Friederika Lembke Pohl

Replies: 0

Friederika Lembke Pohl

Posted: 12 May 2014 4:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi! I'm a Lembke descendant with about 1000 confirmed relatives in Calhoun County, Iowa. Family history has always said we're related to the Pohls, and Friederika Lembke Pohl seems to be the connection, but I'm having a really really hard time proving it. Any help you can provide would be appreciated; full details of my research below.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
~Tyler

Here's the full details of my research:
From the obit: Friederika Marie Johanna Pohl was born December 6, 1859 (1858 according to church record book), at Subsow, Germany. Her parents died during her childhood. Forty-seven years ago (abt 1867; age 8) she came to America, living for six years in Ogle County (abt 1867-1873), Illinois, then coming to Iowa. February 15, 1877, she was married to Wm. Pohl (son of Gottlieb Pohl; likely came through Ogle County to Iowa as well, but arriving in the US in 1872 makes it hard to track; married in Iowa). She died April 2, 1914, aged 55 years, 3 months and 2 days. She is survived by 8 sons, 3 daughters, 2 brothers, and 4 grandchildren.

Friederika's maiden name is Lembke (father is Johann Lembke, according to church record book). Whether her parents died before she came over or after, I don't know. Obit seems to indicate before. Various online records say her mother is Lena Wiegmann/Wickman, but that's uncertain.

What is certain is that my family came from Subsow (modern: Subzow, south of Griefswald, small village). Joachim Lembke (family tree at the bottom of http://iagenweb.org/calhoun/records/churches/rockwell-city/i...) had at least 3 grandchildren born in Subsow: Wilhelmine Lembke Ramthun, Friederika Lembke Zierke, and Johannes "Fred" Lembke. Puts a strong likelihood on Friederika Lembke Pohl being part of my Lembke clan. Of course, part of the difficulty is I don't know Joachim's father, and Friederika's father Johann would have to be Joachim's brother or nephew, if related.

If Friederika's in the 1870 Census (she arrived in 1867 according to obit but 1869 according to 1900 and 1910 census, and she'd only be 10-12-years-old in 1870), she's listed as Friederika Balse/Bahls (Karl Bahls' married one of Joachim Lembke's daughters, Friederika is listed out-of-order on the census, after Minnie who's only 4 at the time, indicating she may not be a biological daughter). I have no other record of Friederika Bahls except on the immigration documents (1869; disagrees slightly with the obit but agrees with later census records and fits the 6-year range in Ogle being they didn't move to Iowa until 1875) and the 1870 census record. Either this is Friederika Lembke Pohl adopt by a cousin or the Bahls girl died between 1870 and 1880. I can't find clues to either answer in Iowa, and I'm hoping Ogle County holds them.

Friederika's daughter, Clara, went back to Ogle and married a Broitzman relative of mine (making it seem all the more likely that Friederika is family). And did the Pohl children return to Ogle because of paternal relatives or maternal relatives?

Friederika had two brothers alive at the time of her death according to her obit. There's a John Lampka and a Frank Lambka in Lynnville / Rochelle in 1880 that were born in the 1850s. There are a few unknown Lembke variants in Calhoun County with appropriate birth dates as well - August, Rudolph, and Charles in 1900 and Theodore and Frederick in 1895.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions