Search for content in message boards

PORTER DAVID PHILIP OF VA

Replies: 9

Inquiry from Dottie Porter Hines re Virginia Porters

Gary Porter (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2000 1:28AM GMT
My father, Keith Porter, tells me that we came from Virginia after Washington's victory over Cornwallis at Yorktown in (I believe) 1781. The were two Porters who arrived in the Jamestown colony in the early 1620's named Peter and Abraham or Abram. They appear on census lists in 1623 and 1624. This was during or shortly after the Pocahontas period, very very early.

The Porters appear to have been prolific and active on both sides of every great event. Porters supported both the revolutionaries and the British. My family came to Canada after the revolution as supporters of England. Now in Ontario there are a large number of us. My father tels me that of those who stayed in the United States, some were to be found on both sides of the civil war. It is his understanding (based on oral tradition in our family), that some of the virginian porters moved north to New England and served as officers in the Union army. One of them hetells me was a general on the staff of Ulysses S Grant and was at Appomattox during Lee's surrender. I found that there was such a man, but cannot prove he is in our lineal ancestry. Of course there was also Admiral David Porter of the federal navy who work with Grant during the seige of Vicksburg on the Mississipi in 1863. Again I cannot prove a direct link.

If we do descend from the Virginia Porters then we are almost certainly relatives.

I was born in 1945 in eastern Ontario and for many years now have operated my own practice as a Chartered Accountant in Toronto, Ontario.

I hope the Jamestown aspect proves helpful. I would be very pleased to learn what you know or find out.

Gary Porter
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dhimes66 17 Nov 2000 8:35AM GMT 
Gary Porter 29 Nov 2000 8:28AM GMT 
dhimes66 29 Nov 2000 2:32PM GMT 
Dana 29 Nov 2000 2:41PM GMT 
dhimes66 29 Nov 2000 6:47PM GMT 
DottiePorterH... 15 Jun 2012 3:07PM GMT 
DottiePorterH... 10 Jan 2013 9:08PM GMT 
sunny 9 Jan 2001 10:45AM GMT 
Gloria Jean Shay 18 Jul 2001 12:53PM GMT 
dhimes66 18 Jul 2001 3:45PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions