Search for content in message boards

Porter Family

Replies: 5

Re: Porter Family

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 1:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Porter
Glad to have you on board, maybe we can sort out the different Porter families. There is the James and Steven Porter families, and I think there is a John D. Porter family, plus my own John Porter. I believe my John Porter actually arrived in 1831, so before the mass migration as well! At least we know they are two different John Porters, as mine married a girl from Ireland in New Brunswick. I am guessing mine came from Derry, or Londonderry up in County Tyrone. Some place called 6 Miles Cross, whatever that may mean. I would like to talk someday to an Irishman who could explain the venacular of the placenames there. I also guess my John came over on the Salus, as he is the only John Porter I have ever found that match the birth/arrival dates to my own. If my guess is right, he came over with 3 spinster sisters, one older than himself. I was wondering how at that particular time, could they have possibly afford to ship the family over, and what circumstances made them leave. I have heard of land owner sponsored emigration, but do not know when that started, then stopped to be replaced by ridding themselves of the poor wholesale shipments.
The only thing I have that remains of John Porter is the phrase, "Came over on a crowbar!" translated to they were packed in like lemmings and pitched over if they were sick or dying or dead. This makes me think his voyage was paid for than someone other than himself.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
J. G. 19 May 2001 3:33PM GMT 
FoxyCats 10 Jul 2012 5:45PM GMT 
protagonisto 4 Jan 2013 1:34AM GMT 
FoxyCats 4 Jan 2013 8:03PM GMT 
protagonisto 22 Jan 2013 9:24PM GMT 
FoxyCats 4 Mar 2013 5:15PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic