Emery Porter, b. Kings Co, Nova Scotia

Replies: 10

Re: Your Earlier Edward Anderson Porter Post

Posted: 4 Jun 2013 3:04PM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Porter
Hi Zee,

Regarding Edward Anderson Porter and his service:

Using the date he was reported missing in action, I used an online database of all aircraft that had ever been reported as crashed at http://www.pacificwrecks.com/help/submit.html and found the location, aircraft type, and listed crew members for that date. As I scanned through their list by date I found an SBD-5 Dauntless Dive Bomber with Navy Bureau Number 36540 which had gone down near Mili Atoll and the names Edward A. Porter and Arthur H. Sparrow.

A book I was reading stated that after action reports from unit commanders archived at the Navy Yard in Washington DC had been used to document portions of his book. So I wrote the Navy Yard with the particulars and asked for the reports to which they replied that all those documents had since been transferred to the NARA (National Archives and Records Administration.

So I submitted a request to NARA online asking for the records and told them that, if denied, I was prepared to request them under the Freedom of Information Act. Within a couple of weeks I received copies of all the action reports for Bombing 16 for the dates requested and the documents had been declassified the day they mailed them to me.

All that sounds complicated but it all happened very quickly and I received complete cooperation at every turn. The Navy's Office of Naval Personnel and Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC) both contacted me by mail and telephone asking for a DNA sample. The trouble is, they wanted either his Mother, brother, or sister to give the DNA sample. Regretfully, they have all long since died as far as I know.

Yes, I am Anderson Porter's first cousin once removed - my Dad and he were first cousins, his Father and my Grandfather were brothers.

I'd be glad to send you copies of these reports if you're interested and I'd be very excited to get a copy of the Obit that you referred to even if it isn't exactly correct in every way.

As far as your Granduncle, I'd say your best shot at getting that information would be to go to http://www.archives.gov/ and you will see "Veterans' Service Records."

Also, I'd say there is a lot of material online about casualties in Mindanao and you might find some pertinent information in some of that.

My email address is scotsman@cafes.net and my street address is as follows:

3002 Ledford Mill Rd
Wartrace, TN 37183

Thanks for writing and I'd be glad to hear more from you.

- Donnie F. Porter
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
wbenjamin1 18 Feb 2006 1:10PM GMT 
dix_pat 26 Jul 2012 10:24PM GMT 
DonniePorter2... 27 Jul 2012 7:19PM GMT 
dix_pat 10 Aug 2012 2:42PM GMT 
TheMikado88 4 Jun 2013 5:01AM GMT 
DonniePorter2... 4 Jun 2013 9:04PM GMT 
TheMikado88 4 Jun 2013 10:25PM GMT 
TheMikado88 4 Jun 2013 10:25PM GMT 
DonniePorter2... 4 Jun 2013 11:01PM GMT 
TheMikado88 5 Jun 2013 12:12AM GMT