Search for content in message boards

Hugh Porter

Replies: 7

Re: Hugh Porter

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 4:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Will of John Porter, Jr.
Estate of John Porter. Box 71 Pack 1754. Probate Judge Office, Abbeville, SC. I, John Porter, being of sound and disposing mind and memory, but weak in body, etc., I desire my plantation be sold with my notes and accounts to pay my just debts and funeral expenses and if this is insufficient, I desire my executor sell all my personal property except my carriage and horse, if this is insufficient they are to sell my negro family of Temperance, Jeffrey, Luvinda, and William can be sold without separation. If the sale of my slaves is not needed, they are to go to my wife Mary E. A. Porter. Wife to get carriage and horse with the negroes she had when we married, Peggy, Felord, Jemima, and Bina. I desire my brother, Hugh Porter, shall have the $110 due me on the 25th of Dec. also my watch. I appoint my wife executrix and friend Capt. Daniel Norwood and my brother Hugh Porter executor. Dated 19 Sept. 1824. Wit: C.B. Porter, Andrew S. Porter, Hugh Porter, Signed. J. Porter. Proved on oath of Charles B. Porter, before Moses Taggert, Ord. On the 6 Dec 1824. Sale held 22 Dec. 1824. Buyers: Femine Wiley, Henry Kerr, Hugh Porter, Abram Lights, Wm. Lomax Esq., John Adams, Capt. Downey, Benjamin Adams, Robert Conn, Hiram Moore, Wm. Sanders, Abran Lites, Robert C. Wilson, etc. Hugh Porter, Executor.

**Our Lauderdale Co. Hugh Porter left SC about 1825 with wife, Sarah C. Bowie Porter. Through Bibles and wills, it’s established that his siblings included Andrew Springer Porter , Charles B (Burney? ) Porter, and John Porter. This John, Jr. & Sr. aren’t our Hugh’s brother/father, but are they uncle/cousin?
Our Hugh’s siblings: Hugh (1791-1855), William R. (abt. 1793), John (abt. 1795), Rebecca Frances (1798-1868), Charles B. (1800-1870), Andrew Springer (1802 - ), Mary (1804-1865), Ann E. (1805 - ), Cynthia (1807 -).
Will of John Porter, Sr.
Will of John Porter [Source 210]

Box 71 Pack 1754, Probate Judge Office, Abbeville, SC. I, John Porter, being of sound and disposing mind and memory. I will that all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid. I order that my plantation in Winston County, Orangeburge Dist. near the white pond lying on pond branch and Yarrow branch, containing 661 acres be sold. My desire is my family stay together on the plantation which they now live as long as they can in peace and quietness. I will the moveable property to be sold to the highest bidder. My wife Elizabeth to get her third part, with the remainder divided between my three sons, Samuel Norwood Porter, Hugh Porter, John Porter. I appoint my friend James Watts executor with my wife Elizabeth executrix. Dated 27 Dec. 1798. Wit: James Jones, Benjamin X Simpson, Thomas X Winn. Signed John Porter. Recorded 20 Dec. 1803. Est. appraised on 25 Jan. 1804, by Thomas Edwards, George Conner, James Pettus.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jpgomillion 2 Jan 2008 3:03AM GMT 
Ronald Howie 19 Dec 2009 6:16PM GMT 
jpgomillion 24 Dec 2009 2:21AM GMT 
Ronald Howie 2 Jan 2010 7:37AM GMT 
jpgomillion 17 Jun 2013 10:22PM GMT 
jpgomillion 17 Jun 2013 10:23PM GMT 
Gene Lamont 15 Jun 2013 5:53PM GMT 
jpgomillion 17 Jun 2013 2:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions