Search for content in message boards

Looking for information on Thomas Porter of Hartford, CT

Replies: 3

Re: Looking for information on Thomas Porter of Hartford, CT

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 12:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have combed records for the ancestry of this Thomas Porter, and I do believe he is John Porter of Windsor's oldest son from England, possibly borne before John Porter and Anna White married. I strongly believe they are at least related (father/son or possibly uncle/nephew), as they both appear in neighboring Windsor and Hartford in 1639-1640, and Thomas is right age for being a son of John. The world was just too small for this to be a coincidence. I think there was a deliberate concealment of the relationship, possibly so that Thomas would be accepted as a freeman and afforded a land grant in Hartford (as he was in 1640, as recorded by Matthew Grant of Windsor), which might not have been provided to him if he was disclosed as Porter's son and/or his age accurately disclosed. Alternatively he may have not cleaved with his father to the Windsor Church (he was only admitted to the Farmington Church in 1653, after he married Steven Hart's daughter), or his birth may have been to a different mother from Anna White and not fit for public consumption. It's a big mystery, and I'm hoping DNA will one day solve it for sure. There is some Porter DNA study data posted, but not focused on this line/branch. I am also puzzled by the possible relationships of Daniel and Robert Porter of Farmington to John Porter (Windsor) and Thomas Porter (Hartford/Farmington), though I have not seriously researched this. If you are still on line I would appreciate any update at my regular email jking@patentnetworks.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Allison Morga... 22 Mar 2008 6:03PM GMT 
eaglemt 16 Jul 2008 3:26AM GMT 
hmwalden 17 Jul 2008 4:47PM GMT 
jking978 22 Jun 2013 6:22AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic