Search for content in message boards

Y-DNA Testing - Descendants of David Rittenhouse Porter?

Replies: 9

Y-DNA Testing - Descendants of David Rittenhouse Porter?

Posted: 16 Mar 2011 2:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
If you are a living male descendant of David Rittenhouse Porter, I would like to know if you ever had your Y-DNA submitted for testing?

For several years now I have been trying to determine the parents of my 4th great grandfather, whose name was James (b. abt 1735). Based on the information I have found, I believe he was living in the area of Cecil and Harford County, Maryland, which lies around the Susquehanna River, or in adjacent Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. After marrying an Inghram, my James subsequently migrated to southwestern Pennsylvania, which at that time was still part of Virginia. I am trying to determine if there is any link to the family of David Rittenhouse Porter.

I have submitted my Y-DNA to Family Tree DNA for testing. I have had several matches, but only one to a person whose surname is also Porter. His oldest proven ancestor was born in 1802 in Kentucky, so that does not help me with my efforts to find my 5th great grandfather.

In order to see if we have a common ancestor, I was hoping that some living male from your line had submitted their Y-DNA for testing. If so, could your tell me where I might find that information to compare it with mine. If not, would you or some male Porter in your direct line consider having their Y-DNA tested? That would either confirm or deny that we have a common ancestor and bring me one step closer to finding my 5th great grandparents.

Thank you for any help which you can give.

Bill Porter
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
WilliamPorter... 16 Mar 2011 8:30PM GMT 
armyeso1 20 Mar 2011 12:34AM GMT 
WilliamPorter... 20 Mar 2011 6:21PM GMT 
armyeso1 21 Mar 2011 11:01PM GMT 
WilliamPorter... 22 Mar 2011 12:20AM GMT 
armyeso1 22 Mar 2011 12:24AM GMT 
jsue85 29 Mar 2014 8:49PM GMT 
WilliamPorter... 29 Mar 2014 9:39PM GMT 
jsue85 29 Mar 2014 9:51PM GMT 
WilliamPorter... 30 Mar 2014 12:30AM GMT