I am writing in hopes you can help me find some information about my third great grandparents, George and Anna Porter.
I used old family records, information received from Ancestry.com, Oakwood Cemetery and the Troy Public Library's research team to bring me to this point. Here is what I know:
George B. Porter
- born - 31 Jan 1800 (location unknown) (according to family handwritten records)
- marriage to Anna Annie Smith before 1835 (according to the NY Town Clerk's Register for Men Who Served in the Civil War 1861-1865)
- death - 8 Sep 1837 Pittstown, Rensselaer, NY (according to the Troy Budget Newspaper) - died of consumption (TB)
Anna Anne Smith
- born - 1799 New York/Vermont (according to Censuses)
- marriage to George B Porter before 1835 (according to the NY Town Clerk's Register for Men Who Served in the Civil War 1861-1865)
- residence - 1850 Lansingburgh, NY and 1860 Rensselaer County, NY (Censuses)
- residence - 520 Congress Street. Lansingburgh, Rensselaer, NY (U.S. City Directories)
- residence - Troy, NY (U.S. City Directories)
- death - date and place unknown
George and Anna had six children:
George - 1825 - ? (alive in 1864)
Susannah - 1828 - 1853
Joseph S - 1832 - 1860
Ann - 1834 - ? (alive in 1850) - don't know if she ever married
Ishmael G - 1836-1880 - fought in the Civil War
Ellen - 1838 - ? (alive in 1860) - don't know if she ever married
All six children lived in Lansingburgh their entire lives as I know it. Ishmael is the only child who married (Anna Mc Mullen) and spent his entire life in Lansingburgh as well.
Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Also, please let me know of any other resources I could try to grow this branch of my family tree.