Search for content in message boards

Parents of Joel Graves Porter: Vermont to New York

Replies: 0

Parents of Joel Graves Porter: Vermont to New York

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 5:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Porter, Graves, Armstrong, Kyle
My 4th Great Grandfather was Joel Graves Porter. He was born in Vermont in 1803, married Cordelia Armstrong in 1826 and eventually ended up living in Newfane New York.

I have had trouble determining the identity of his parents, as well as determining when Joel and Cordelia passed away.

The last time I find Joel and Cordelia is in the 1880 Census, they are living in Newfane NY on their son George’s farm with his family. After that, I find no trace of them.

Joel was 76 and Cordelia was 72 in 1880, so it is possible that they lived for several more years but since the 1890 census is gone, that leaves a 20 year span where they could have passed away.

Does anyone out there know when they passed away?

With regard to Joel’s parents, here is what I know:

His father was born in Vermont and his mother was born in Massachusetts. That’s pretty much it.

Now, I have found out on the web several references to a John B Porter and a Zilpah Graves, some of the sites I found list Joel as their son, however none of it is documented.

Since Joel’s middle name was Graves, I can see the appeal of tacking him on to John and Zilpah; they are the right age, they have the right names and the geography lines up.

Unfortunately, I can’t find actual proof that John and Zilpah were married, let alone had Joel as a son.

Digging around, I do find a Zilpah Graves, born Jul 11, 1758 in Sunderland, Mass and died Oct 19, 1794 in Manchester, Vermont but according to what I can find, she married William Kyle.

Unfortunately, there is no reference to when William Kyle passed away but their last child was born in 1794.

I suppose it is possible that William Kyle passed away and Zilpah got remarried to John Porter. Since Joel was born in 1803 it does line up but without proof, it is merely conjecture.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

Mark Martin

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions