Search for content in message boards

samuel porter and sarah elliot a mistake?

Replies: 1

samuel porter and sarah elliot a mistake?

Posted: 27 Mar 2013 7:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Mar 2013 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Elliot, Calkins
As I have been reseraching the Porter line I have noticed that so many genealogies on Porter of Salem include Samuel and Sarah (Elliot) Porter as the link between Samuel and Persis (Perry) Porter. Nearly everyone cites a "preponderance of evidence" which would suggest such a connection but they have no paper trail. Does anyone know what that evidence would be? I see where people state Samuel and Sarah moved to Lebanon CT where their children were born, and then they moved to Hartford, VT.But again no papertrail. Samuel is listed in the Andrews Porter Pedigree book as being the son of Benjamin born around 1722 (I beleive this is the source for the birth dates given to the Salem Samuel.)but then no more info. However Nememiah son of Samuel has a son Samuel who dies around 1750 at the age of 27....which would put his birth around 1722...his grave is in Boxford MA. Is it possible that benjamin had no such son samuel? This could not be THE Samuel since Samuel married to Persis was born in 1766, after Samuels death in 1750. It would also make Sarah Elliot 42 years old quite old back then for having a child. The only other two references I can find for a Sarah Elliot is a death recorded in a diary in the NE historical genealogy library in which a Sarah Elliot wife of Samuel dies in Boston in 1802 and a marriage of a Sarah Elliott to a Thomas Bennet in Boston in 1768. There are a few other "Sarah wife of Samuel" listing in the Wenham area for deaths...one is Sarah Bradstreet. These are all far from a preponderance of evidence however and seemingly a mistake. If anyone has anything else please let me know! Its a large leap of faith getting Sarah and Samuel down to Lebanon CT especially since there was another Sarah and Samuel roughly the same age born and living there at the same time.

There seems to be a better paper trail for a Samuel and Sarah (Calkins) Porter of Lebanon, CT born around 1725 and married around 1748. Births are listed with children who match the siblings of Samuel m/ Persis line. As many people know the residents of Lebanon CT were given land grants in Hartford, VT via a lottery. A Samuel of Lebabnon CT is listed as having been an original land grant holder which he then sold the said land to a Mr. Tilden in 1761-1762. Samuel JR was born in 1766...this we know for sure via birth records and grave. Many of the people in Lebanon eventually moved to VT following these grants. This Samuel and Sarah seem to fit much more logically however I cannot find any recorded deaths for Sarah Calkins, Sarah Elliot, or Samuels from eiether Lebanon or Salem to substantiate the dates people have placed in the family trees. Having relatives related to the withc trials makes for exciting history but it does not look like that part pans out. The consolation though is the Calkins line traces directly back to Capt Miles Standish of the Mayflower. If anyone can help me better subtstantiate either line I would truly appreciate it!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
downhillbandi... 27 Mar 2013 1:28PM GMT 
doandroiddrea... 7 Apr 2013 4:11AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions