Search for content in message boards

Isaac B. Potter NY > MI

Replies: 0

Isaac B. Potter NY > MI

Nancy Dearing Rossbacher (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2004 2:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: POTTER MOE LELAND
I am trying to nail down the parentage and wife's last name for an Isaac B. Potter (3-g-grandfather), b. 1803-1810 (census records vary) in New York. He married a Mary Ann ____ and by the 1850 census had migrated to Caneadea, Allegany Co., NY, where he was a carpenter/joiner.

The 1850 census notes:
Isaac Potter 40* 1809 New York Male Caneadea, Allegany, New York
Mary Ann 37 1812 New York Female Caneadea, Allegany, New York
Harry** B 18 1831 New York Male Caneadea, Allegany, New York
Isaac B 16 1833 New York Male Caneadea, Allegany, New York
Mary A 13 1836 New York Female Caneadea, Allegany, New York
Adaline 6 1843 New York Female Caneadea, Allegany, New York
Millard*** 5 1844 New York Male Caneadea, Allegany, New York
Wallace 2 1847 New York Male Caneadea, Allegany, New York

My notes:
* The 1870 census shows Isaac B. (the Elder) was b. in 1803.
** Harry is actually Harvy or Harvey.
*** Millard is often mistranscribed as Willard. It is Millard.

By 1861-'62, the family had migrated to Grand Rapids, Michigan --- all except my ancestor, son Isaac B., who wound up in Venango Co., PA, and then Erie Co., PA, specifically Corry. There had had children Eugene, Morris, Homer, and Cosey. Eugene and Morris died young; Cosey is my g-grandmother.

The mid-19th-century Michigan contingent of Potters, sons of Isaac B. (the elder) signed on with Michigan cavalry troops during the Civil War. Here are some of their military records:

Wallace Potter
Residence was not listed; 18 years old.
Enlisted on 8/6/1864 at Grand Rapids, MI as a Private.
On 8/6/1864 he mustered into "E" Co. MI 3rd Cavalry
He was Mustered Out on 2/12/1866 at San Antonio, TX
(Sub for Justin M. Stanley.)
He was listed as:
* Joined Regiment 10/2/1865 Brownsville, AR

Millard F. Potter
Residence was not listed; 19 years old.
Enlisted on 3/11/1862 at Allegan as a Private.
On 3/11/1862 he mustered into "E" Co. MI 3rd Cavalry
He was Mustered Out on 3/13/1865 at Brownsville, AR
On 1/31/1864 he Attached into IL 9th Cavalry
He was Returned on 5/30/1864
Widow's pension on file, Millard F. Potter, Co. E, 3rd Mich Cav, widow Ella M. Potter, filed in OH.

Harvey B. Potter
Residence Alpine MI; 30 years old. (This is in Kent Co., near Grand Rapids.)
Enlisted on 9/12/1862 at Grand Rapids, MI as a Corporal.
On 10/11/1862 he mustered into "B" Co. MI 6th Cavalry
He was Killed on 7/14/1863 at Falling Waters, MD
Promotions:
* Sergt 4/1/1863
Widow's pension on file for Harvey B. Potter, Co. B, 6th Mich Cav, widow Amanda M. Potter, guardian Amanda M. Cain.

Some notes on their families:

Wallace migrated after the war to Greenwood, Oceana, MI, and shows up there in 1880 with wife Lydia Lovina Leland. No children listed.

Millard migrated to Lorain, OH, and shows up in the 1880 census with wife Ella M., 29, b. MI; children:
Robert E. Potter, 7
Ida M. Potter, 5
Zadia E. Potter, 4
Harvey C. Potter 1 (doubtless born after uncle who died in war, this Harvey shows up in the 1930 census in Kansas City, MO, age 51, wife Eva, 46, and mother Ella M. Potter, 79, widowed.

Isaac B. (the Elder's) daughter Adeline Potter married Benjamin F. Moe on 21 Feb. 1861 (Kent Co., MI, marriage records). Like her brother Wallace, she migrated to Greenwood, Oceana Co., MI, and she shows up there at age 27 in the 1870 census with Benjamin Moe, 38, b. NY; children
Franklin Moe, 8, MI
Velma Moe, 6, MI
George Moe, 2, MI

Adeline d. 29 May 1872 in Hesperia, Oceana Co., MI.

There are two records of an aging Isaac B. Potter in the area in the 1880s. The 1880 census of Grand Rapids has an Isaac B. Potter, 77, b. NY, boarding with a music teacher from England, Mary A. Smith, and his census notes "wound broke." Hard to believe he'd be boarding when he had grown kids in the state, but who knows?

Then there's a death record of an 81-year-old Isaac Potter who died 1884 in Greenwood, Oceana Co., MI, where two of my Isaac B. Potter's children were living. Only thing is, it notes his birth state as VT!

There is an LDS file of an Isaac B. Potter, b. abt. 1807 in NY, son of Joseph Potter and Polly Crego. This Joseph Potter was b. abt. 1781 in Scituate, RI, and Polly was b. abt. 1783 in Hoosick, Rensselaer, NY. However, I've not been able to verify that their son Isaac is the right one.

Can anyone help with Isaac's parentage or his wife Mary Ann's maiden name? If not, I hope the notes above were useful to any other descendants out there!

Best,
Nancy Dearing Rossbacher

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions