Search for content in message boards

Potter family from County Tyrone, Ireland

Replies: 8

Re: Potter family from County Tyrone, Ireland

Posted: 29 Jul 2008 6:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Potter, Fitzpatrick, Rogers
Hello I am a direct descendant of the John Potter you spoke of in your post. I would be happy to share with you my info. He is my ggggggggggrandfather. Here is the info that I have on him. I also have a ton of info about General James Potter including his portrait and copies of his election to Vice President of PA. Also, John Potter became high sheriff of Cumberland Co. PA in 1750

Dennis writes..."I have looked at the Josiah V. Thompson Journals. It is a typescript of the original, although the original is available. It is full of miscellanous items, including conversations with descendants of various and sundry persons, transcripts of various courthouse records, and his personal travels. They start in the 1890's and they go on into the early 1900's.
Included is an inventory and accounting of the John Potter estate, transcribed from the original courthouse documents, it appears. The inventory and appraisement includes a valuation done in Nov and Dec 1757. I lists various lands and numerous leather hides, and also "cloth for a suit of clothes, unmade," "Bras barl gun," and "1 hat and spatter dashes." The total value was 1,291 pounds. The accounting includes several loans to John Potter by James Potter (evidently his son James). There were also adjustments for the mare that was shot by Indians and for wheat and oats destroyed in time of war. The final closing of the account was in May 1767, at which time all the children received their share. This is a transcript of the Cumberland County Orphans Court vol. 2, pg 79. They refer to the widow as Martha Brown, late Martha Potter. She was to receive an annual payment from her son James. The children were:

James Potter
Samuel Potter
Thomas Potter
Margaret, w/o George Lattimore
Annas, w/o Alexander Young
Catherine, w/o James Caruthers
Mary, w/o (blank) Bard
Hannah, w/o John McMillan
Isabella, w/o Benjamin Jordan

So John's widow Martha remarried to a Brown between 1763 and 1767.

Dennis wirtes..."At some point, I think about 1900, he ran into Wm. Egle, who gave him another listing of the John Potter family. It differs from that above in that 1) James is named as a General in th e Rev., 2) Samuel married Susannah Poe, 3) Thomas was killed in Apr 1758 by Indians, 4) Anna s is shortened to Annie, 5) Mary's husband is given as Beard (still no first name), 6) Hanna h married 2nd Thomas Robinson, and 7) Isabellas husband is given as John Jordan.
I do not know how to reconcile Egle's statement that son Thomas was killed by Indians in 1758 , and the 1767 OC document reporting a payment to son Thomas. It seems unlikely that a paymen t would have been made before 1758, since the land sales go on into the early 1760's, and th e final value of the estate could not have been determined before then. It is possible that i t was a payment to the heirs of Thomas, although I would think that the record would have sai d so. I do not know, of course, if there even were any heirs of Thomas. Egle could also hav e been wrong.
With the Annas, d/o John Potter and w/o Alexander Young in the Cumberland County records, an d Annis, w/o of ALexander Young in the Westmoreland County records, it is hard for me to no t think that they are the same person, given the peculiar (at least to me, it is peculiar) na me of Annas/Annis.
Dennis

Biographical and Historical Cyclopedia of Indiana and Armstrong Counties, Pennsylvania. Samue l T. Wiley. John M. Gresham & Co. 1891
If you do not already know, you will see the significance after readingMajor-General James Potter was a son of John Potter and was born on the bank of the river Foyle, in county Tyrone, Ireland, in 1729. Twelve years of age he came wirh his father to New Castle, Deleware, and subsequently removed to what is now Cumberland County, of which his father became the first sheriff. [gives details of his military serrvice, then...] He reside d in Penn's Valley, Centre County, from 1772 until his death in November, 1789.
the attachment.
However, the Potter story does not end there. I have spent some time in Cumberland County loo king into this. I was actually there looking for some different ancestors but hit a dead end , and while I was there, just looked up Potter on the off chance that there might be somethin g there. To start with a condensed story, John Potter immigrated from County Tyrone, Irelan d in 1741 and made his way to Cumberland County (in a part that is now Franklin County) befor e 1746. He was the first sheriff of Cumberland County and was active in organizing defenses a gainst the Indians in the early part of the French and Indian War. He died intestate in 1757 . He owned about 920 acres of land, but much of this had to be sold for debt. His wife remarr ied sometime after 1763 to a Thomas Brown, but he died in 1769. Widowed a second time, Martha wrote her will in 1773 (not proved until 1782) in which she named her two sons, James and Samuel, and numerous daughters, one of whom was Anny Young. Son James (b. 1729) was a general in the Rev. War. There is reason to believe that son Samuel is the same as the Samuel Potter in Westmoreland County. It appears that at least two of the daughters moved to Westmoreland County, the wives of James Baird and George Lattimore. I do not know for sure the name of t he husband of Anny Young. However, there is a pedigree, citing the Journals of Josiah V. Thom pson, that reports that the daughter of John Potter was Annas Potter and that she married Alexander Young. Naturally, the Annas caught my eye, considering that the wife of our Alexander Young is given as Annes in the deed books. Thus, my working hypothesis at the moment is tha t the wife of our Alexander Young was Annes Potter, daughter of John Potter and Martha. Anne s would have been the sister of the Samuel Potter in Westmoreland County. The Journals of Josiah V. Thompson, 27 volumes, are on microfilm at the Western Pennsylvania Historical Societ y and I have every intention of looking at them in the near future.

Hope this helps, I have much more.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Clement H. Darby 19 Jun 2000 8:02PM GMT 
jgozie 25 Aug 2000 7:32PM GMT 
Clement H. Darby 27 Aug 2000 11:00AM GMT 
CherylTemple6... 27 Jan 2003 9:07PM GMT 
slevin75741 16 Jan 2004 7:59PM GMT 
potterpalooza 30 Jul 2008 12:04AM GMT 
rkguest1 10 Sep 2008 8:11PM GMT 
bkellner 17 Sep 2009 7:41PM GMT 
michelle pott... 2 Sep 2013 2:42AM GMT 
per page