Search for content in message boards

Book on Poulin Genealogy

Replies: 11

Re: Book on Poulin Genealogy

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 1:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Poulin, Dumas, Paulin, Dinnas
I cannot find these names in the book.

Of possible interest is 1871 Census of Canada, Quebec, Shefford, Stukely South as taken from Ancestry.com's Canadian record holdings of the Drouin Collection. It shows these Poulins: Frs. Xavier age 23, Marie 55 widow, Victor 18, Joseph 13, and Victorine 16. This may be worth researching in depth if this town fits in known migration patterns to your area of the U.S. Stukely South had its French Canadian parish, Notre-Dame de Bonsecours, established 1846 being the third in Shefford County. Also, the Drouin Collection online shows a number of "Pierre" Poulin in the early 1800s in parishes between Stukely and Montreal. Because of problems in the indexing of the Drouin Collection by Ancestry, bear in mind that some data in the original files do not surface. On the other hand, a review of the "Blue" Drouin index may show the path of ancestry from Pierre to earlier generations. Also, the Loiselle marriage index includes data from Stukely and nearby parishes.

My searches on "Job" show nothing of interest. This name was uncommon in French Canada, and "Joseph" could easily have become "Job" in the states.

In a search in the Drouin Collection at Ancestry.com for Marie Dumas and spouse "Pierre" (no surname), I almost gave up around the 170th hit when I saw a record indexed as Marie "Dinnas" with spouse Pierre "Paulin" in 1836 at Ste-Rosalie, Québec. The handwriting in the record clearly shows "Dumas" and "Poulin." The date is 2 February. I feel that both the Louselle and "Blue" Drouin indexes would have rendered the names correctly. Ste-Rosalie is in Bagot County adjacent to Shefford.

There were many hits on "Marie Dumas." Also common is the name "Pierre." This marriage of 1836 looks like what you are looking for, but it cannot be taken as the proven connection, since other couples may have married with the same name combinations at about the same time in the neighboring regions. Finding the baptismal records of Victor and "Job"/Joseph would provide the assurance you need. It seems that the name "Victor" was just beginning to appear in the latter half of the 1800s. Heh, heh, my parents are buried in Maine, but I found their names on a head stone in Massachusetts when I was there with my wife working on her Irish relatives. My son's name is Francis Peter Poulin.

Good Luck tying things together.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Susan Jones Boak 19 Mar 2006 4:52PM GMT 
Joseph N. Poulin 18 Sep 2006 12:01AM GMT 
AuPoulin 6 Aug 2011 2:51AM GMT 
alfredpoulin 6 Aug 2011 3:49PM GMT 
Thomas Boak 24 Jan 2012 8:33PM GMT 
johnnysgirl66... 17 Feb 2012 6:43PM GMT 
alfredpoulin 18 Feb 2012 1:24AM GMT 
mbn1962 18 Feb 2012 3:54PM GMT 
alfredpoulin 18 Feb 2012 8:52PM GMT 
mbn1962 19 Feb 2012 1:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions