Here is an abstract from a DAR application. The lady who applied is Pauline Belcher Miller. She applied in 1966, when the DAR's quality control was more stringent than it had been earlier. It is frustrating, since the application lists just the parents. I lack lots of siblings and spouses. I'd welcome additions and corrections. In very brief, Joseph Powell served as a private in 1778 and 1780 - 1783. One line of his descent:
Joseph Powell + Sarah / Susan Edwards
Absalom Powell + Elizabeth Rice
Rachael Powell + Thomas Jefferson Belcher
John Henry Belcher + Clara Belle Easley
William Henry Belcher + Dora Dean Pyeatt
Pauline Belcher + Lewellyn Marvin Miller
Here are some details, with a couple of facts thrown in from the IGI and AF.
1. Joseph Powell 1 was born between 1759 and 1761 in York, Chester, Pennsylvania. He died on 14 Feb 1835 in Jackson County, Missouri. He was buried in Sec 32, Twp 50, Range 31, Jackson County, Missouri.
Joseph served in Montfort's Company for nine months starting 20 July 1778; in Curtis Lowne's company of Militia in 1783; under Captain Caleb Dais in the 6th Battalion, Chester County 1780 - 1783; and under Lt. Colonel Richard Willing in the 4th Battalion, Chester County, 1783. He was a private.
Joseph was "aged 75" when he died in 1835, which puts his birth year 1759 - 1761.
Pauline Belcher did us an inadvertent service. The DAR application asks you to list the Revolutionary Ancestor's children, and "to whom married". Pauline entered the name of the childrens' mothers, they being the lady Joseph was maried to when they were born. This data is invaluable when a man has more than one wife. Someone in the DAR dutifully wrote over the wives' names, but you can make them out; so we know which child belongs to which mother, as well as who each child married.
He was married to Sarah / Susan Edwards. Sarah / Susan Edwards1 has Ancestral File number 1HWG-3L 1.
IGI has the marriage about 1785, no source.
AF entry from Boyd L. Powell has Susan born abt 1764. Joseph Powell and Sarah / Susan Edwards had the following children:
2 i. Thomas Powell 1 was born before 1793.
3 ii. Joseph Powell was born before 1793.
+4 iii. Abraham Powell.
He was married to Ruth Jones. Joseph Powell and Ruth Jones had the following children:
+5 i. Ruth Powell.
He was married to Hannah Jewson about 1792. Hannah Jewson 1 was born in 1760 in Pennsylvania. She died in 1820 in Jackson County, Missouri. Joseph Powell and Hannah Jewson had the following children:
+6 i. John Powell.
+7 ii. Jonathan Powell.
+8 iii. Richard Powell.
+9 iv. Joab Powell.
+10 v. Absalom Powell .
+11 vi. Ann Powell.
12 vii. Jane Powell 1 was born on 22 Aug 1807.
Jane reportedly married a John Beeler (Bealer?) and lived until 1900.
+13 viii. Mary Powell.
+14 ix. Rachel Powell.
4. Abraham Powell 1 was born before 1793. He was married to Hannah Finley.
5. Ruth Powell. She was married to John Smith.
6. John Powell 1 was born on 27 May 1793. He was married to Esther Bealer.
7. Jonathan Powell 1 was born on 14 Mar 1795. He was married to Annie Rice.
8. Richard Powell 1 was born in 1797. He was married to Rachel Jeems.
9. Joab Powell 1 was born in 1799. He was married to Ann Bealer.
10. Absalom Powell 1 was born on 27 Mar 1803 in Claibourne County, Tennessee. He died on 20 Apr 1851 in Jackson County, Missouri. He was also known as Absalm, Absalom, Absolem, Absolom, Absolum. He has Ancestral File numbers MW2S-R0, 1WPX-P0J.
He was married to Elizabeth Rice on 10 Jun 1824. Elizabeth Rice 1 was born about 1800. She died in 1856 in Jackson County, Missouri. She has Ancestral File number MW2S-S5. Absalom Powell and Elizabeth Rice had the following children:
+15 i. Rachel Powell .
11. Ann Powell 1 was born on 18 Mar 1805. She was married to James Bridges.
13. Mary Powell 1 was born on 12 Mar 1810. She was married to Stephen Adams.
14. Rachel Powell 1 was born in 1812. She was married to James Noel.
15. Rachel Powell 1 was born on 6 Mar 1830 in Claibourne County, Tennessee. She died on 30 Dec 1919 in Henrietta, Clay, Texas.
She was married to Thomas Jefferson Belcher on 24 Jan 1846. Thomas Jefferson Belcher 1 was born on 17 Sep 1827 in Tazewell County, Virginia. He died on 4 Mar 1914 in Hobart, Kiowa, Oklahoma. Rachel Powell and Thomas Jefferson Belcher had the following children:
+16 i. John Henry Belcher .
16. John Henry Belcher 1 was born on 26 Dec 1848 in Jackson County, Missouri. He died on 21 Jan 1934 in Plainview, Hale, Texas.
He was married to Clara Belle Easley on 12 Dec 1871. Clara Belle Easley 1 was born on 14 Apr 1852 in Lone Jack, Jackson, Missouri. She died in 1936 in Plainview, Hale, Texas. John Henry Belcher and Clara Belle Easley had the following children:
+17 i. William Jefferson Belcher .
17. William Jefferson Belcher 2,1 was born on 13 Sep 1872 in Sherman, Grayson, Texas. He died on 19 Jan 1947 in Stafford, Custer, Oklahoma.
He was married to Dora Dean Pyeatt (daughter of Andrew Lafayette Pyeatt and Teresa L. Lane) on 7 Apr 1907. Dora Dean Pyeatt 2 was born on 4 Sep 1884 in Buffalo Gap, Texas.
(There are two towns named Buffalo Gap in Texas, one in Travis County, one in Taylor County. Which?)
William Jefferson Belcher and Dora Dean Pyeatt had the following children:
18 i. W. M. Belcher.
19 ii. Pauline Belcher .
20 iii. H. Belcher.
1. DAR application of Pauline Belcher Miller, dated 13 May 1966. Accepted, national number 518507.
DAR member Bess Cohen, #330897;
DAR member Lenore Powell, #303914;
DAR member Katieray McGee Hays, #405889;
Gainsville Weekly Register, Oct. 14, 1926, p. 3;
Grandmother's Bible - Mrs. L. J. Halbert's
Claibourne County, Tennessee records
Microfilm of Early Texas Marriages - Grayson County, p. 45, 19 July 1871, John H. Belcher and Clara Belle Easley
2. Pauline Belcher Miller, SSN application dated 4 Jan 1960. She was working for the Hale County Gin at the time.
3. Pauline Belcher Miller Obituary. 18 Oct 1992.
5. Miller family history researched, assembled and printed by Gladys McCubbin.
6. Death information form Texas Department of Health, available on-line at RootsWeb.