Search for content in message boards

Powell surname of South Carolina

Replies: 28

William Powell

Dennis Powell (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2000 7:00AM GMT
Anita,
I think our familys are not connected but not sure yet. William Powell was my GGGRANDFATHER He had 7 sons and 4 daughters.
His son George was my GGrandfather born in 1858 and Married to Ellen Hunter.
Williams Father was Levi Powell from NC.
Levi was married to Anna Laws.
When William was born His birth name was Laws. William went by the name Laws all through the 1800s and so did His 11 children.
In 1900 the whole family changed there names back to Powell. I do not know why the name changes and no one else knows why.
It was forbidden to discuss that through out the family history.
I found Anna Laws Married Levi Powell in 1835
and got a copy of that license.
William was born in 1831 abt 5 years before His parents Married. I think the family was very ashamed of the child being born out of weddlock and they gave Him his mothers last name Laws.
I also have been told that Levi was married others times before.
Also someone said Anna Laws was married to a Benjimin Powell possible brother to Levi.
This Family was always getting into trouble.
Levi owned A TAVERN and He had 3 or 4 black slaves. Many of William Powells children made moonshine and sold it.
The family lived on Powell Branch in Knox Co., Ky.
They were always in court for something.
lots of court dates for moonshine. Many stills in the Mountians of Powell Branch.
Also Williams sons fought in the Civil War.
One son Thomas fought for the Confederate army and another son fought for the Union army.
I do Know that it states that Williams Mother and Father were both from NC on His Death Cert.
Well hopefully You will know for certain if your Powells are connected to mine by this info.
Let me know !
Best of Luck in Your search.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
VJenkins0734 30 Mar 2000 9:08PM GMT 
AnitaL 30 Mar 2000 10:21PM GMT 
powchesco 25 Feb 2012 4:36PM GMT 
Dennis Powell 8 Apr 2000 11:27AM GMT 
AnitaL 8 Apr 2000 9:40PM GMT 
Dennis Powell 9 Apr 2000 1:00PM GMT 
tarheel131 22 Feb 2009 10:14PM GMT 
drpowtenn 23 Apr 2009 4:42AM GMT 
Martha 3 Aug 2000 7:43AM GMT 
Johnnie 3 Aug 2000 10:16AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions