Search for content in message boards

Preston

Replies: 18

Re: Preston's from Preston, Lancs

Posted: 20 Jul 2003 12:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

I am trying to research the PRESTON name and it's origins as well as relationships to PRESTON England. I (perhaps erroneously) always assumed that all Preston's were originally from that town. Yet, it is becomming apparent that PRESTON was a more common name back a few hundred years ago then it is now. Does anyone have any information on the origins of the PRESTON name, do they all have roots in the town of the same name?

I can't give you any names of relatives from PRESTON, Lancashire, since my tree is unknown before my ggrandfather in Springfield, MO, in the late 1800's, Mr. George Washington Preston, Sr., whose first son, my grandfather George W. Preston, Jr., left Missouri in the beginning of the 20th century and relocated to Los Angeles, California. My grandfather died in 1986 in LA, after a long and wonderful 75 year plus marriage to Willamette Chavis, youngest daughter of William Cicero Chavis. Since they eloped at a young age, I have no information on either of their families in MO or their origins.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,
Donna L. Preston

PS: FYI, the Preston name in America, at least, seems to be dying out, for example, my own Preston legacy will soon end, as my father had no sons and was the only son of George W. Preston, Jr. Sad to see such a nice name disappear.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tamesabine 20 Jul 2003 6:41PM GMT 
stelljay 7 May 2009 8:39AM GMT 
Robin Preston 23 May 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Paul Gilbert (Preston) 23 May 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Paul Gilbert (Preston) 23 May 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Diane Lassiter 4 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
stelljay 1 Feb 2012 9:47AM GMT 
stelljay 7 May 2009 8:35AM GMT 
jimpreston54 15 May 2009 8:49PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions