County: Kilkenny

Richard Purcell
County: Kilkenny
Parish: Gowran

Descendants of 1

Generation No. 1

1. 11 He married 2.

Children of 1 and 2 are:
2. i. PATRICK2 PURCELL, b. Juni 1791, from the book "Genealogiques por isidore Forget Cure' St.
Columban (c) 1904; d. Februar 1870, St.Columban, Witnesses: John Murphy and Lawrence Purcell
from Lyse, John Purcell witness from Pat Mason.
3. ii. LAWRENCE PURCELL, b. 1819; d. Juni 28, 1902, St. Columban - From the Book Genealogiques.....

Generation No. 2

2. PATRICK2 PURCELL (11) was born Juni 1791 in from the book "Genealogiques por isidore Forget Cure'
St. Columban (c) 1904, and died Februar 1870 in St.Columban, Witnesses: John Murphy and Lawrence
Purcell from Lyse, John Purcell witness from Pat Mason. He married ANN MURPHY. She was born Juni
1790 in From the same book, and died März 19, 1874 in St. Columban, Quebec, Witnesses: John Purcell,
From Lyse & Pat.

Notes for PATRICK PURCELL:
1828: Patrick Purcell received from the Sulpician Priests lot 285 St. Nicholas
concession (in the Seignory) on the 7th of January. In 1865 he gave
testimentray to his SON John to the house which still exists.

1831 Census of St. Columban, Cote St. Nicholas, Lot 285:

Patrick Purcell Cultivateur, 6 persons in Family, 2 Married,
1between 5 and 14, 1 under 5, 3 over 14. All are Catholic occuping 90
acres

1837: Patrick Purcell listed in the “La Minerve Newspaper” as a “Participants
aux assemblees du Comte des Deux-Montagnes dans le Journal La Minerve en
06-05-1837, and “relivement aux Assemblees Politiques Tenus Par les
Patriotes dans Comte Deux Montagnes. Also A une Nomination O Ste.
Scholastique 01 Juin 1937. Also listed is a Felix Murphy of St. Columban,
Deux Montagnes and a James Murphy of St. Scholastic, Deux Montagnes. Also
a William Purcell of St. Ignace and Dennis and Charles of Que-Ville????

1839: Patrick Purcell accepted a lot for his son Michael 242, St. Paul
Concession from John Murphy 3 x 33 Arpents, Later turned over to John
Purcell, Present was a man named Peare or it could be a typo for Purcell-
from Claude. Later it was signed over to Michael Purcell son, and from
Patrick per testament to James, son, and from John Purcell to Michael Molloy
“dud terre sans testament

1842: Census of Parish of St. Columban, Cote St. Nicholas: Lot 285

Patrick Purcell Farmer, 7 residents, one temporarily absent, two children
between 5 and 16 yrs old, occupying 91 acres, 5 improved, produced 30
Winchester Barrells of Oats, 1 Peas, 100 Potatoes, 7 Meat Cattle, 1 Horse, 3
Hogs.

1842: Census of Lower Canada, Patrick native of Ireland (arrived between 10
and 16 years earlier, one male 14-18 yrs old, one male between 18-21(single),
two males (1 single, 1 married between 21-30 years old - may have been
relatives living with them - or was this Michael and Thomas from the following Census Record.

Supporting documents: Census of 1842 (Parish of St. Columban- Cote St. Paul)
Patrick Purcell farmer living on 75 Acres of improved land with 5 head of Cattle,
1 Horse, 3 Hogs, 2 Sheep. Four members of household; 2 Natives of Ireland (Pat
& Ann), 1 male under 5, 1 female under 5, (possibly one 5 to 16 year old- hard to
decipher from the Census record?). Two are married (Pat & Ann) at least 30 but
less than 60 years old. Four members of the household belong to the RC Church.
The Parents have been in the province for at least 10 years or (could be 40?) it is
hard to decipher from the record. They live in a log style home and have
produced 5 Winchester barrells of Oats and 100 of Potatoes in the last year.

1848: Patrick Purcell the second, procureur of John Marshall sold the lot Lawrence’s Son Patrick
133, St. George concession to his NEPHEW Patrick (3) on March 14, 1848.

1851: Census of St. Columban, Cote St. Nicholas, Lot 2 of 285, Patrick James born 1835, John 1826,
Purcell, Farmer age next birthday 60, Ann Murphy 60, John born in Eliza 1831, From Gowran
Canada 25, James 16 who is attending school, Eliza age 20 living in a one records: John born 10-25-83
story Log home on 189 Acres, 60 cultivated, 20 Under Crop, 40 under & Mary born 9-22-1822??
Pasture, 129 Wooded, 6 acres Wheat, 100 Bushells produce, 1 Acre Barley,
1 Acre Peas, 8 Acres Oats, 1 Wheat, 1 Corn, 2 Potatoes, 1 Milk Cow, 2
Horses, 6 Pigs, 200 lbs Cheese, 3 Barrells of Beef, 4 of Pork.

1851 census:
Living next door on Lot 1 is Patrick Purcell Jr. on 75 Acres, 30 Under John was 25 in 1851 Census
Cultivation, 10 Under crop, 20 In Pasture, 45 Wooded, 3 Barley, 4 1/2 above now he is only five years
Oats, 2 1/2 Potatoes, 500 tons of Hay, 4 Milk Cows, 1 Calve, 300 lbs of older after ten years??
Butter, 4 barrels of Pork. Michael born 1821, Tho 1827?

Census 1861:

Patrick Purcell 70 Born Ireland (Concession of St. George) Patrick would have
Anne Murphy 66 “ been born around 1791
John Purcell 30 “ born around 1796
James 25 Lower Canada The parents would have had to immigrated
Eliza 24 “ prior to 1836
Thomas 34 Absent Ireland
(Michael 40 “ “ Maybe they stayed in Ireland, they are not mentioned in
Patrick’s will in 1865 and not found in the Gowran records)??

1865;, 18 of May, Will of Patrick Purcell, gave testimentary to his son John
for the lot 285 at St. Nicholas concession. Willed his property to son John.

Before the Undersigned Public Notary for Lower Canada resinding in District of Terrebonne and in
presens of John Cleary School Instuctor and Peter Phelan yeoman of the Parich of St. Columban for of the
said District witnesses for signing of the presuit Will. Personnelly appeared Patrick Pursel yeomen of the
said Parish of St. Columban and of body mand testament memory as appear to the said notary witness in
presence of the said witnesses last Will and testament in the following manner that to day is written that
should the mercy of the almighty god having him to forgive me my sins and to invite me in his Holy
Paradis.

First I give and bequeth to John Persel my son yeoman of the Said Parish of St. Columban all my
movables generally without exception and one lot of land living and situated in Cote St. Nicholas in the
said Parish of St. Columband ??? no Number including three Arpents in Size by or about Thirty two
Arpents in Depth. Joining on one side to Mathew Phelan the other side to Widow James Kelly or
representative of the said John Purcell to give after my decease to James Pursel my son - his brother horse
and cow among those this I give and bequith to the said John Pursel of that I will left after my decease
and of the charge against the said John Puresel to pay all by debts and to have me duly burried with a high
mass on my body and to support Nancy Murphy my wife and to cherrish her as his own ??? comfortable
and to support her with duly clothes shoes and lodging in his home with ?? and his family and to treat her
(Nuldness?) and with as any good child his bound to treat his mother.

?She loyalty to me deserves of the years during her lifetime and to have her body with a high mass on her
body after her decease. I give and bequeth to James and at the charge agoan by the said John Purcel may
said youto pay to Elizabeth Pursel my Daughter the sum of twenty Pounds currency by give found yearly
instrument to make the first payment one year after my decease. Secondly I give and bequeth to James
Purcel my son yeoman of said Parish of St. Columban one lot of land lying in the district in Cote of St.
Paul in the said Parish of St. Columban containing thre arpens in front by thirty three arpents in depth
join in and to the base road of the said Cote and to the land of North ??? one side the representative of
Jerimiah Howard and other side by D. McGerity by these for w?? and to that appoint I move John Pursel,
James Pursel my ??? ??? ??? I further appoint John Pursel yeoman of said Parish of St. Columban, my son
representative as my sole executor to this my last will and testemant I hereby revoke by all other wills and
testament codicls I have heretofore made and declaring that the will and testament this codicile geing
done named and dictated word by word by the said Parick Purcel testator of the said notary in presnse of
the said witnesses with and signautre and duly order by the said Notary and in presence of the said names
of the said testation in the Dwelling have of the said Patrick Purcel in the Said of St. Columban in the said
district on the eighteen day of may in the year of our lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty finve
under the number thousand two hundred and nime and the said Patrick Purcel and the said witnesses have
signed this ??? will after having cause the same Duly read to said Patrick.

1871 Census Two Montanges, St. Columban, lot 285; Ann Purcell age 44 (I
suspect this is a Typo and should be 64, John age 45, Elizabeth age 35,
Elizabeth age 32, James age 30 (Why two Elizabeths - one must be Eliza
Burns, Ann is listed as Married not widowed? John and Elizabeth age 35 are
listed as both being Married?? 8 Chords of Bark and 29 of Firewood, 2
Horses over 3, 4 Milk Cows, 2 other Horned Cattle, 7 Sheep, 3 Swine, 300
lbs of Butter, 18 lbs of Wool, 8 yards of homemade cloth, 200 Acres, 100
Improved, 40 in Pasture, 12 in Garden or Orchards, 3 Wheat, 90 Bushels of
Oats, 20 Bushels of Buck Wheat, 300 Bushels of Potatoes, 19 Hay, 3 Barns /
Stables, 4 Wagons and Sleds, 2 Ploughs.

Children of PATRICK PURCELL and ANN MURPHY are:
i. MICHAEL3 PURCELL, b. 1821, From Pat Mason - Census record.
ii. PATRICK PURCELL, b. Mai 03, 1835, St. Scholastique, witnesses: James Blanchfield & Mary Phelan
from Lyse; d. August 31, 1839, Burried Sept. 2 in St. Columban from Lyse.

More About PATRICK PURCELL:
Baptism: Mai 03, 1835, St. Scholastique, witnesses: James Blanchfield & Mary Phelan from Lyse
Burial: September 02, 1839, St. Columban, From the Book "Genealogiques...

iii. ELIZABETH PURCELL, b. Januar 22, 1827, St. Scholastique, witnesses: Patrice Manny & Marie
Murphy from Lyse; d. 1895, Montreal Home.

More About ELIZABETH PURCELL:
Baptism: Januar 22, 1827, St. Scholastique, witnesses: Patrice Manny & Marie Murphy from Lyse
Burial: Cote De Neige lists: Eliz who died Feb 2, 1895 Spouse: Taney D** , in section P

4. iv. JOHN PURCELL, b. 1826, Quebec, Canada; d. Abt. 1908, Quebec, Canada. From Gowran Parish:
John baptised 10-25-1823, Sponsors: Thomas Murphy & Bridgette Bryne??
v. JAMES PURCELL, b. Oktober 29, 1832, St. Scholastique, witnesses: Patrick Whallen & Ann Kenny; d.
September 10, 1885, From Pat Mason - and from the Book Genealogiques.

Notes for JAMES PURCELL:
1841: James Purcell born - James never married and died in Sept. 10, 1885. Present
at the funeral was his cousin Lawrence. He had been living with him when he committed
suicide. (I left out this fact when I did the family geneaology). When Patrick Purcell died,
John and Lawrence were at his funeral as well. Pat Mason I wonder which Lawrence this may have
been??? If it was Patrick’s brother the wife would have had to been Mary Muldowney who died in
1895 or Catherine Medlar (2nd wife)?? In the 1891 Census

More About JAMES PURCELL:
Baptism: Oktober 30, 1832, St. Scholastique, witnesses: Patrick Wellan & Ann Kenny

vi. PATRICK PURCELL(2), b. 1839, From Pat Mason -.

Notes for PATRICK PURCELL(2):
There is no record of his Birth, Baptism, or Death, and he is not listed in the Census records later??

Gowran Records: Bridgette born to Patrick and Nancy 1822, and a Mary born tto Partick and Ann 9-22-1822
with same sponsors: Thomas Murphy and Bridget Bryne??? Same sponsors as John form 1823

3. LAWRENCE2 PURCELL (11) was born 1819, and died Juni 28, 1902 in St. Columban - From the Book
Genealogiques..... He married (1) MARY MulDOWNEY. She was born in Parish of Gowran, Kilkenny ,
Ireland -From the Book "Genealogiques..., and died September 24, 1895 in From the book
"Genealogique..... He married (2) CATHERINE MEDLAR 1841.

Notes for LAWRENCE PURCELL:
Census of 1891 - St. Columban

Lots 134, 135, 136: Lawrence Purcell age 72 widow, age 72, born Ireland, living with
William age 32 (Single), Catherine age 30 born in Quebec.

Birth date’s per Census: Lawrence 1819, Catherine 1861, William 1859

Living next door to :

Patrick age 80, born in Ireland, with Mary (born in Quebec) age 63 both of their parents
born in Ireland, and Lawrence age 20 (Single), Patrick M, age 18 (single) both born in
Quebec.

Birth dates per Census: Patrick 1811, Mary 1828 Quebec, Lawrence born 1871, Patrick born 1873

Eliazbeth Purcell age 61 born in Ireland (no designation for single, married or widow, just
a line). Birth date would be about 1830 in Ireland. Patrick and Ann’s Eliz. was baptised in 1827 in St.
Scholastic??? This could be Lawrence Purcell’s Elizabeth - See Below.

1901, Census record from InGeaneas shows: Lawrence Purcell (Widower),
age 81, living in Cote. St. George, Deaux-Montagnes County with Head of
house hold; William age 41, and William’s sister Kate age 36. Relationship
to head of Household: FATHER. (See Below???)

Birth dates per Census: Lawrence born 1820, William 1860, Kate 1865.

Lot 133: 1901 Census; William Purcell head of household born 1860 age
41 born rural Canada, Lawrence (Father) born Nov 6, 1820 age 81, born
Ireland, Kate sister, born Sept 4, 1865 age 36 in Quebec,

Children of LAWRENCE PURCELL and MARY MulDOWNEY are:
5. i. PATRICK3 PURCELL, b. Ireland.
6. ii. JOHN PURCELL.
7. iii. LAWRENCE PURCELL.
Gowran Parish Record- Elizabeth baptised 2-15-1813 Sponsors James Phelan and Margaret Murphy
James baptised 4-07-1814 Sponsors: William Hefferman & Bridget M____?

Child of LAWRENCE PURCELL and CATHERINE MEDLAR is:Lawrence’s Second Wife
iv. JAMES3 PURCELL, b. Abt. 1851; d. Dezember 15, 1873, St. Columban, age 22 From Lyse, witnesses
Thomas and Patrick Purcell;.

Generation No. 3

4. JOHN3 PURCELL (PATRICK2, 11) was born 1826 in Quebec, Canada, and died Abt. 1908 in Quebec,
Canada. He married (1) ELIZA BURNS Mai 14, 1867 in St. Cloumban, Quebec, daughter of PATRICK
BURNS and CATHERINE KAVANAUGH. She was born 1834 in ?, and died in Quebec, Canada. He married
(2) MARIAN BOISMENU Mai 11, 1873 in St. Cloumban, Quebec-From book Genealogiques..., daughter of
LOUIE BOISMENU and MARIE GUAY. She was born 1833 in Quebec, Canada, and died 1889 in Quebec,
Canada.

Notes for JOHN PURCELL:
1842: Census -Parish of St. Columban - Cote St. Paul

John Purcell 6 or 7 in family, Vacant Property (No house)

Lot 249 part 1, John Purcell, Non Proprietor, Trade or Profession - Mason, 6 Residents, 1
Inhibitated House, 1 Temporarily Absent, No childrens ages listed. Purchased from???

1889, April 30: Marie Anne Boismenu, wife of John Purcell (beggar- french
translation) dies in St. Faustin at 56 years old. Burried May 01, 1889.

the french word is : Mendiant I took it in the St-Faustin's church registeries.As to find a
"mendiant" is almost impossible ...because most of the time they are buried without a
name ..but they write in the pultures registeries : mendiant I have seen a lot of those
inscriptions in Ste-Agathe registeries..I'll try to find something in this parrish...
Ann Purcell (Patrick & Anne Kavanagh)
Quinn John (Quinn John & Mary Burns)
27/11/1832 Mtl 27/11/1832
--From Lyse

I took these informations from a microfilm taken from St-Colomban's church
registries..... I was trying to find Elisa Burns's fdeath...but not in there nor in
Ste-Scholastique it also said that they did not sign the form...Beggar is the translation of
"Mendiant" reduced to poverty, begs for his living... (there were a lot of beggars these
days)
There's a Lawrence Purcell who was a witnes at Patrick's funeral in 1870 and it could be
his son Lawrence that was born a month before and died in 1941 but he was not buried in
St-Jerome's ...where ? This could be either Patrick’s brother Lawrence born in 1819 since Lawrence’s
son Lawrence was not born until 1871 or Lawrence son of John and Ann Ryan born 1838 as Patrick
and Ann Murphy were witnesses at his baptism???

Michael is left to be raised by a family by the name of Cameron - from Edith
Carrier and Ellen Mailot.
I know from my grandfather's stories that they were very poor people, and that he would
work as a child do whatever he could to earn money (making potash). Maybe John was
disabled by this time in his life from earlier injuries to be able to earn a living.; It is
strange that other family members did not help, especially the fact that Michael was
taken to live with a family by the name of Cameron rather that going to live with relatives
Edith Carrier.

Maybe John abandoned his family before his wife died. My grandfather said he was left
alone with his mother and she was very ill. She asked him to please stay home with her,
but he went out to play with a friend, when he returned, she had died. This was a very
traumatic event in his life. He remembered having to give the priest 9 cents (the only
money in the house) . He had earned this money making potash. John certainly =
wasn't around when she was ill, and I find it strange that no other family members or
neighbours were helping. Edith Carrier
My grandfather Michael said that he was brought by his father to live with a family with
the last name of Cameron, they were English speaking and until that point he spoke only
french. This would lead me to believe that he did not see much of his father, since his
father must have spoken English. There was no mention of Tommy being brought to the
Cameron's, but Tommy was five years older, and being 16 at the time, was probably on
his own, especially with the desperate situation the family was in, I am sure he left home
at a young age. From Pat's research she says "Present at Marie Ann's funeral were John
and Michael Purcell. It would seem that young Thomas had already left home." So,
Tommy must have been away working and was not notified of the death or was unable to
attend.

Family lore has said that this same John was at - Cousin Lawrence's wife's funeral in
1905 Edith Carrier I wonder which Lawrence and which wife in 1905???

Archibald Colquhoun (Nathaniel2,John1) born 1861 Harrington married Charlotte
H. Cameron she was born in 1872 in Grenville. Children were: Barbara H. born
1890, Sarah E. born 1892, Willie born 1895, John born 1899, and Grin born 1902.
Also, James Alexander Colquhoun of Harrington married Elizabeth Cameron of
Harrington, Aug. 15, 1881 From Lloyd McCrae.

1908: John Purcell died (son of Patrick and Ann Murphy) from Pat
Mason. Uncle Bobby told pat that he was buried in the“Old soldiers or
Veterans Cemetary??? Perhaps this is why he was gone when his wife died
if he was in the Service???? No record of his death - Why was Boismenu
burried in St. Faustin as there are no relations there in any of the Census
records- could John be there ????

Children of JOHN PURCELL and ELIZA BURNS are:
i. Patrick?4 PURCELL, b. 1867; d. Abt. 1867, one year old.
ii. PATRICK PURCELL, b. Juni 14, 1871, St.Columban, From Pat Mason; d. Juli 31, 1871, St.Columban,
From Pat Mason.

Children of JOHN PURCELL and MARIAN BOISMENU are:
8. iii. THOMAS4 PURCELL, b. 1874, Quebec, Canada; d. April 28, 1958, Quebec, Canada.
iv. MICHAEL PURCELL, b. 1878, St. Columban.

Notes for MICHAEL PURCELL:
Maybe John abandoned his family before his wife died. My grandfather =
said he was left alone with his mother and she was very ill. She asked =
him to please stay home with her, but he went out to play with a friend, =
when he returned, she had died. This was a very traumatic event in his =
life. He remembered having to give the priest 9 cents (the only money =
in the house) . He had earned this money making potash. John certainly =
wasn't around when she was ill, and I find it strange that no other =
family members or neighbours were helping. From Edith Carrier.

v. PATRICK JOSEPH PURCELL, b. 1877, St. Columban; d. März 28, 1877, St.Colu;mban.

5. PATRICK3 PURCELL (LAWRENCE2, 11) was born in Ireland. He married (1) HONORA BOYLE. She died
Februar 21, 1866 in St. Columban, Quebec,. He married (2) MARY MOONEY November 02, 1869 in St.
Cloumban, Quebec, daughter of EDMUND POWER and BRIGIT.

1848: Patrick Purcell the second, procureur of John Marshall sold the lot
133, St. George concession to his NEPHEW Patrick (3) on March 14, 1848.

1851 census:
Living next door to Patrick and Ann Murphy, on Lot 1 is Patrick Purcell Jr. on 75 Acres, 30 Under
Cultivation, 10 Under crop, 20 In Pasture, 45 Wooded, 3 Barley, 4 1/2
Oats, 2 1/2 Potatoes, 500 tons of Hay, 4 Milk Cows, 1 Calve, 300 lbs of
Butter, 4 barrels of Pork.

Birth dates per Census Records: Patrick born 1815, Honora 1817?? This can’t be the son of
Lawrence born 1819???

1851 Census; St. Columban, Deux Montagnes, lot 133, part 1; Patrick
Purcell farmer of Ireland, age next birthday 36, Honora Boyle 34 of
Ireland, and Iszabella Mullen age 2 (listed as member of family), living in
a Shanty. on 70 Acres, 40 “en Culture”, 7 in Recolte, 88 in Pasture, 30 en
Foret ou inculte, value 400 dollars,

1861 Census: Lot 133; Patrick Purcell age 46 Farmer born Ireland 10 years later he is only 6 years
older??
Honora Boyle age 50 born Ireland
Living in a log Home can not read or write

Patrick Burns 9 in Family living next door.

Partick Purcell Farmer living on 75 Acres of Improved land with 5 head of Cattle, 1
Horse, 3 Hogs, 2 Sheep. Four members of household; 2 Natives of Ireland, 1 male under
5, 1 female under five, (and possibly one 5 to 16 year old- it is hard to tell from the
record). Two are married and at least 30 years old but not older than 60. Four are
members of the Roman Catholic Church. They have been in the Province for either 10
years or 40 years - it is hard to tell from the record. They live in a log home and produced
5 Winchester Barrells Oats, 100 Potatoes. If they were there for 10 years = 1843 - 10
years in province = 1833 immigration, assuming they were at least 20 years old = birth
date of 1813?

1871; Census lot 135; Patrick Purcell farmer 100 acres occupied, 20
Improved, 2 in Pasture, 10 Bushels of Oats, 200 potatoes, 30 bushels of
Turnips, 12 acres Hay, 2 Horses over 3 yrs old, 4 Milk cows, 3 Horned
Cattle, 10 Sheep, 4 Swine, 2 Slaughtered Cows, 5 Sheep, 1 Swine, 400 lbs
butter, 30 pounds of wool, 34 yds cloth, 20 cords of firewood, 4 Barns /
Stables, 4 cars wagons and sleds, 2 Ploughs. Patrick age 52 born Ireland,
Mary 41 born Quebec, Lawrence 2 born Quebec, Neither can read or write

Birth dates per Census: Patrick 1819, Mary 1830, Lawrence 1869

1881 Census of St. Columban, lot 133, Cote St. George, Patrick Purcell age 70,
Mary age 50, Lawrence age 10, Patrick age 8, two children attending school, Census
taken April 6th, 300 Acres,

Lot 133: 1901 Census; William Purcell head of household born 1860 age
41 born rural Canada, Lawrence (Father) born Nov 6, 1820 age 81, born
Ireland, Kate sister, born Sept 4, 1865 age 36 in Quebec,

Children of PATRICK PURCELL and MARY MOONEY are:
i. LAWRENCE4 PURCELL, b. Januar 09, 1869; d. Januar 19, 1941, St. Jerome, Quebec-from Lyse.

(2) 1901: Census Deux Montagens: Lawrence Head, born Jan 9th, 1871 age
30, Farmer, living with Mother - Mary who is a Widow, born Jan 20th,
1841 age 60, he can not read or write she can, both speak English & no
French, Mother toung Irish.

Lot 134: (1) 1901 Census record shows William Head , single, born Jan.
9th, 1871, age 30, living with Lawrence, Father, widowed, born Jan 20,
1841, age 60, and sister Kate (dau of Lawrence), born Nov 1, 1848, age 53,
married, they do not read or write, speak English, No French, mother
tounge Irish, From Census of Deux, Montagnes, Dist. 151, Sub Dist. 6, St.
Columban, page 3 _the dates do not work as Kate the dau of Lawrence -it
is most likely Lawrence’s sister.

More About LAWRENCE PURCELL:
Baptism: Januar 18, 1870, St. Columban

ii. PATRICK PURCELL, b. 1872.

Baptism: September 08, 1872, In St. Columban, Sponsors: Robert & Catherine Purcell

6. JOHN3 PURCELL (LAWRENCE2, 11) He married ANN RYAN September 09, 1833 in Montreal.

Notes for JOHN PURCELL:
1851 Census: Cote St. Paul lot 249, part 1, John Purcell, 90 Acres, 20
Under Cultivation, 6 Under Crop, 14 Pasture, 70 Wooded, 1 Wheat, 3
Oats, 1 Indian Corn, 1 Potatoes, 400 Tons of Hay, 6 lbs. Wool, 4 Milk
Cows, 3 Calves, 1 Horse, 4 Sheep, 4 Pigs, 100 lbs Butter, 31/2 Barrels of
Beef, 4 Quantity of Fish Cured. John Farmer born Ireland, age next
birthday 48, Ann Ryan 40, Lawrence born in Canada age 13, Margaret 14,
Catherine 11, Andrew 8, Patrick 6, John Jr. 4 all children born in Canada
and attending school except John Jr., Living in a Shanty,

Birth dates per Census: John 1803, Ann 1811, Lawrence 1838 Quebec, Margaret 1837, Catherine
1840, Andrew 1843, Patrick 1845, John Jr. 1847

1861 Census: Lot 249 Part 1, Cote St. Paul, 90 Acres,
John Purcell age 60 Farmer born in Ireland Living in a Frame House, can not read or
write.
Ann Ryan age 40 “ She is the same age as the 1851 Census
Lawrence age 20 Laborer Lower Canada only 7 years older
Andrew age 18
Patrick age 16
John 13
Margeret age 21 Only 7 years older
Catherine 17 Margaret Purcell is absent, Patrick and John are still in Only 6 Years older
School, Parents can not read or write, living in a frame home 1 story,

1871 Census of St. Columban Lot 249, Cote St. Paul, John Purcell age 70,
Ann age 56, John Jr. 22, John can not read or write., 30 Bushels of Oats, 1 Ann is now 16 years older &
Beans, 2 Potatoes, 80 Turnips, 6 Hay, 25 plants fruits or other, 3 Barns or John Jr. is only 9 yrs older
Stables, 3 Cars wagons and sleds, 2 Ploughs / Cultivators, 30 Chords of Fire
Wood, 3 Milk Cows, 1 Horned cattle, 7 Sheep, 3 Swine, 1 killed Cattle for
sale, 4 sheep, 5 Swine, 100 Pounds of Butter, 30 Pounds of Wool, 35 Yards
home made Cloth.

Census 1881 Montreal, St. Mary's Ward,

John - Head age 32, Marchand Born 1849
Lawrence 40 - Storeman 1841
Anne born in Ireland
Margaret age 39, 1842
Catherine age 36 1845
Mary Bracken age 19 1862 Could this be the Daughter of James Bracken and Mary Purcell who were
married in 1858 in Notre Dame - Montreal???

Children of JOHN PURCELL and ANN RYAN are:
i. LAWRENCE4 PURCELL, b. April 06, 1838, St. Columban, Sponsors: Michael Purcell & Ann Kenny;
m. MARIE ANN MCLEAN, Februar 05, 1883, Notre Dame du bon Conseil , Montreal.

More About LAWRENCE PURCELL:
Baptism: April 06, 1838, St.Colmuban, Sponsors: Michael Purcell and Margaret Kenny who was also
a witness at James Purcells baptism (Patrick &Ann Murphy) in 1832

ii. CATHERINE PURCELL, b. 1840.

More About CATHERINE PURCELL:
Baptism: Oktober 03, 1840, St. Columban Sponsors: Thomas Purcell and Johanna Grace

iii. PATRICK PURCELL, b. 1845, St. Columban; m. CATHERINE (KATE), November 20, 1899, St.
Patrick's, Montreal.

Baptism: Juli 02, 1845, St. Columban,Sponsors: Denaile Phelan & Ann Brennan

iv. JOHN PURCELL, b. 1847, St. Columban; m. CATHERINE (KATE) HACKETT.

Notes for JOHN PURCELL:
John - Head age 32, Marchand
Lawrence 40 - Storeman
Anne born in Ireland
Margaret age 39,
Catherine age 36
Mary Bracken age 19

More About JOHN PURCELL:
Baptism: 1847, St. Columban Sponsors: John & Mary Phelan

v. ANDREW PURCELL, b. 1843, St. Columban; m. ROSE ANNE MONIGHAN, Mai 20, 1877, Ste.
Brigide, Montreal.

Notes for ANDREW PURCELL:

1881 Census of Montreal , St. Mary's Ward:

Andrew age 36, Rose Ann age 30, John age 3, Alice age 1, Catherine Monhatten age 25 (Couton
Ere), Peter Burke age 18 Latier. St. Mary’s pg. 33 family #172

Birth Dates per Census: Andrew 1845, Rose 1851, John 1878, Alice 1880, is the Catherine
MONHATTEN or Monighan (maybe her sister)???

Results:
Page 1 of 1
Purcell's in Cote D' Neige Cemetary?? Not sure it these are related

Late's name Spouse's name Concession number Section Date of death

Purcell Andrew 02560 N 23/10/1922
Purcell Andrew James 02560 N 25/05/1937
Purcell Andrew Joseph 02560 N 02/01/1909
Purcell Charles 02560 N 13/04/1964
Purcell Lawrence 02560 N 11/10/1895
Purcell Mary Margaret 02560 N 11/04/1945
Purcell Sarah Keyes R.t. "d" 02560 N 04/12/1970

Purcell Annie Carnie William "d" 00851 N 11/09/1965
Purcell Catherine Feeney James 00851 N 24/07/1915
Purcell Williams 00851 N 05/04/1888
Purcelle Edward 00851 N 07/05/1894

Purcell Ann Foyd "d" 01498 P 23/07/1884
Purcell Ann Costello "d" 02653 P 14/04/1900

Purcell John 00275 P 03/11/1942
Purcell M.ann 00275 P 03/08/1882
Purcell Marguerite 00275 P 19/08/1910
Purcell Catherine Purcell 00275 P 08/10/1920
Purcell Catherine 00275 P 27/10/1925

Purcell Elizabeth Tansey D"" 00621 P 02/09/1895 She could be Pat &
Ann’s Daughter or Lawrence and Mary Muldowney’s daughter baptised in Gowran??? Maybe
her Marriage record would show the Parents and or Sponsors????

Purcell Elizabeth 00461 G P 21/09/1877
Purcell Mary Ann Molloy "d" 00461 G P 02/10/1935
Purcell Michael 00461 G P 06/07/1891
Purcell Mary Dunning "d" 00038 P 25/11/1912

Purcell Charles E. 00052 D 23/10/1865
Purcell Clara 00052 D 18/02/1908
Purcell Gerald Clifford 00052 D 16/09/1950
Purcell John Daly 00052 D 06/05/1929
Purcell John Patrick 00052 D 16/05/1905
Purcell M.josephine Maude 00052 D 26/10/1899

Purcell Bridget Burns 00709 B 03/05/1898
Purcell Mary Clooney "d" 00851 B 28/04/1903

Purcell Daniel 00424 V 22/01/1968
Purcell Marie Anne 01627 V 24/11/1972
Purcell William John Hill Elizabeth 07405 V 04/06/1973

Purcell Mary Stevenson "d" 00950 M 16/04/1948
Purcell Michael 03412D M 11/06/1965
Purcell Walter Rosenly 01194 M 10/12/1917

Purcell Marie Alice (c.n.d.) 00205 O 17/11/1959
Purcell Mary Ellen 00205 O 04/05/1970
Purcell Mary-Catherine Sr Ste-Beatrix 00205T O 12/10/1988

Purcell Mary Finlay "d" 00118 K 27/01/1921
Purcell Mary Cinningham 00192 K 07/01/1885

More About ANDREW PURCELL:
Baptism: 1843, St. Columban, Sponsors: Michael Brophy & Ellen Towey

vi. MARY PURCELL, m. JAMES BRACKEN, September 14, 1858, Notre Dame du bon Conseil, Montreal.

Notes for MARY PURCELL:

This is the only Family that seems to have the right lineage for this headstone, but I am not absolutely
sure:

Head stone in St. Columban Cemetary: Erected by "Mary Purcell" in
memory of her father and mother her brother James and sister Kate, (No
Date). Provided by Lyse and witnessed by other family members.

Census 1881 Montreal - St. Mary’s Ward Dist. 90, Sub. G, Div2, Pg. 33

Lawrence 40 - Storeman
Anne born in Ireland
Margaret age 39,
Catherine age 36
Mary Bracken age 19

Hi Gary

This is from NDDN, Montreal and this is connected with the Purcell/Bracken.

Nom du défunt Nom du conjoint(e) No de concession Section Date d'accueil

Bracken Catherine 01852 P 22/07/1946
Bracken Francis Gleason Gweneth 01852 P 27/11/1986
Bracken James Leo 01852 P 06/06/1945
Bracken John 01852 P 13/09/1971
Bracken John James 01852 P 07/05/1940
Bracken John Justin 01852 P 17/06/1950
Bracken Joseph Coupertina 01852 P 07/07/1945
Bracken Mary 01852 P 17/10/1901
Bracken Rita Matthews L. "d" 01852 P 04/05/1982
Bracken Thomas Augustine 01852 P 21/11/1957
Bragken Mary Wilds William 01852 P 10/01/1994
Dillon John 01852 P 09/03/1912
Gallery Rose Anna Mildred 01852 P 24/08/1898
Hurst Catherine O'Neill 01852 P 22/10/1895
Matthews Louis 01852 P 01/03/1966
O'Neil John 01852 P 08/01/1898
O'Neill Margaret Bracken 01852 P 03/10/1924
O'Neill Rose Ann Dillon "d" 01852 P 01/06/1917
O'Neill Susanne 01852 P 15/03/1920
Whittaker Marguerite Bracken Jas. "d" 01852 P 05/07/1961
Wilds William James 01852 P 23/04/1965

Here is the marriage of Bracken/O'Neil

Notre Dame du Bon Conseil/St. Mary's

M7 July 25 1887
John James Bracken son of age of dec. James Bracken and Mary Purcell -James is
Deceased in 1887 but not listed in the above Cemetary Records?? Mary the Daughter
of Lawrence is still alive in the Will of Lawrence in 1890 and referred to as a
Spinster”??
to
Margaret O'Neill daughter of John O'Neil and Catherine Hirill??
Witnesses: John Purcell and Matilda O'Neil

Children:

Joseph A Copertina Bracken, born Sept. 18, 1888 Notre Dame du Bon Conseil/St. Mary's

John Justine Charles Bracken born, April 15, 1890, NDdBC married Kathleen Conroy,
April 5 1926, St. Patrick's Montreal
Kathleen parents are Thomas Conroy and Mary Ann Smith

James Leo Bracken, born Nov. 23 1891, NDdBC,

Thomas Augustine Bracken, born Feb. 25 1894, NDdBC

Mary Cecelia Bracken, born, April 5, 1896, NDdBC

I know we have a connection but have not established it yet.

Sheila Hennessy, Mississauga, Ont.

7. LAWRENCE3 PURCELL (LAWRENCE2, 11) He married CATHERINE STANTON 1841. She was born Abt.
1825, and died März 30, 1864 in From the book "Genealogique.....

1861 Census:

Mary Purcell age 18 Born in Ireland 1843
John Purcell age 16 Laborer “ 1845
Patrick Purcell 12
James 9 1852
Lawrence 7 1854
William 4 Born in Lower Canada (Parents would have to have immigrated around 1856
whyare there no parents listed?)
Catherine 2

If this is the Mary Purcell who married James Bracken in 1858, per the birth date of the Census, she
would have only been 15 years old???? And he is not listed in this 1861 Census???

All living in a one story Log Home

1871 Census of St. Columban, Lots 134, 135, 136 St. Columban Deux
Montagnes, Lawrence Purcell age 50 born Ireland, Mary age 25, Patrick age
23, James age 20, Lawrence age 16 (all born in Ireland), William age 13 born
in Quebec, Catherine age 11 quebec. William and Catherine are going to
School, Lawrence and Mary can not write, Mary can read. 200 Acres with 3
barns, 2 cars wagons or sleds, 2 Ploughs, 100 acres improved, 30 in Pasture,
100 Bushels oats, 10 acres potatoes, 50 acres Hay, 1 Horse over 3, 3 Milk
cows, 3 Other horned Cattle, 14 Sheep, 3 Swine, 4 Sheep slaughtered, 4
Swind, 200 Pounds of Butter, 40 Pounds of Wool, 38 Yards homemade
Cloth, 4 Cords of Tan Bark, 30 Cords fire wood. Year of immigration would
have to be about 1858?

Birth dates per Census: Lawrence 1821, Mary 1846, Lawrence 1855, William 1856 Quebec, Catherine

1881 Census of St. Columban, Deux Montagnes lots 134, 135, and 136, Lawrence
Purcell age 57, William age 23, Catherine 21, James 40 born Quebec?? James is
now 10 years older than the 1871 Census and Lawrence is only 7 years older and is
now Widowed??

Birth dates per Census: Lawrence 1824, William 1858, Catherine 1860, James 1841

1881: Census of Montreal; St. Mary's Ward:

Lawrence widow age 57 born Ireland
William age 23 born Que
Catherine age 21 “
James age 40 born “

They are listed in both the Montreal and Deux Montagnes in the same 1881 Census??

1872, Lawrence Purcell purchased lot 134, Cote St. George from Joseph
Hart and gave to son William on the 3rd of May 1888.

1888: Lawrence gives lot 134 of St. George concession to his SON William May 8th,
Deed of Fith? ; also lots 135 and 136, and to the daughters of the donor Mary Purcell
and Kate Purcell to each of them the sum of 100 dollars if they want it not the donee will
keep it and make his benefit of it. If the donee leaves the place of he will not have the
right of manging the farm without the consent of the donor by writing. The parties have
declared not to be able to singn thier name.

1890: June 28, Mary Purcell singed Acquittance and discharge to Willam Purcell. Mary
Purcell, spinster residing in the City and Districk of Montreal for the sum of 100 dollars by
virtue of a deed of donation to hiim granted by Lawrence Purcell his father discharged by
Mary Purcell in favor the said Willaim Purcell signed by Mary Purcell.

1890, September 29, Catherine Purcell, signed Acquittance and discharge to William
Purcell. Catherine spinster , residing in the Parish of St. Columban, received of William
Purcell the sum of one hundred dollars by virtue of a deed of donation to him granted by
Lawrence Purcell his father... Catherine declared she could not read or write.

1890; Sale with right of redemption by William Purcell unto J.K. Mathieu esq. ...for $412
dollars, with right of redemption anytime within 8 years to have said properties recovered
to him, in 8 annual and consecutive payments the next payment due on the 9th of
December of next year, with interest at 8% and if said Willaim fails to make the payments
the right of redemption witll cease.....

1890; October 2nd, Transfer of Successive rights by Michael J. Phalen (Attorney for
Patrick Purcell) to William Purcell by power of Attorney of the said Patrick Purcell at
Adams in the State of Massachusetes, in the presence of H.B. Munson notary public
residing at Adams... Patrick who has and way become entitled to the estate of the late
Catherine Stanton his Mother.... unto William Purcell his brother to show my friendship
and love to my brother William , signed June of 1890 in Adams, Patrick Purcell his mark
with an X, in the presence of Arthur Rogers in the common wealth of Massachusettes ,
Berkshire

From: "shaw" myrbil@shaw.ca <mailto:myrbil@shaw.ca> This family file is from
Moore in Folsom:
>> I found a Lawrence Purcell, on the Family Search Ancestral File, his name >> was
number 84.>> 1820 Ireland, mother Bridget Sullivan, Spouse Catherine Flinn. The Flinn >
may be spelled Flyn( n )>> He died Feb. 1902 in St. Columban, Deux Montagnes.
Children: Mary born 1843 in Ireland, John 1845 in Ireland, James 1852 in Ireland,
Lawrence born 1857 in Lower Canada, Catherine 1859, Patrick born March 4 1847 died
March 5, 1901 in Berkshire, Massachusets.

Deux Montagnes Census of 1861: Mary born 1843, John 1845, James 1852, Catherine 1859,
Lawrence 1854, Patrick 1849.

I went back and looked at the Lawrence Purcell file from Moore:
Lawrence born 1920 in Ireland died Feb. 1902 in St. Columban- his father is listed as Bridget
Sullivan born
1810 (that would make the Father 10 yrs. old when he bore Lawrence), The Patrick son of Lawrence
could be a
good connection or leed since he is mention as living in Adams in 1890 when he signs off on his brother
Williams estate??? Adams is in Berkshire County
Lawrence, Married Catherine Flinn or Flynn born 1823 in Ireland
Had: Patrick born 1847 in Kilkenny died March 5, 1901 in Adams
He married : Anna McCabe born April 4, 1845 in Scotland
on Dec. 11, 1870 in Adams Mass.
Both burried in Bellvue Cemetary in Adams.
Her Parents: George McCabe and Mary Tierney of Providence Rhode Island???

ST. Gregoire & ST Patrick RC Church Rawdon, Quebec
Catherine 1843 12 25 12 24 Patrick, Margaret Gill (Patrick
Purcell, Catharine Flynn)

Also, Mary signed a Transfer of Succession rights to William Purcell for any succession
rights has or may become entitled to in the estate of the late Catherine Stanton her mother,
irrovacle in the lots 134, 135 and 136 unto William Purcell her Brother as signed with the
notary after reading , William have declared not to be able to sign.

Census of 1891 - St. Columban

Lots 134, 135, 136: Lawrence Purcell age 72 widow, age 72, born Ireland, living with
William age 32 (Single), Catherine age 30 born in Quebec.

Birth dates per Census: Lawrence 1819, William 1859, Catherine 1861, Patrick 1811, Mary 1828,
Lawrence 1871, Patrick M 1873.

Living next door to :

Patrick age 80, born in Ireland, with Mary (born in Quebec) age 63 both of their parents
born in Ireland, and Lawrence age 20 (Single), Patrick M, age 18 (single) both born in
Quebec.

Eliazbeth Purcell age 61 born in Ireland (no designation for single, married or widow, just
a line).

Children of LAWRENCE PURCELL and CATHERINE STANTON are:
i. JAMES4 PURCELL, b. Abt. 1851.
ii. WILLIAM PURCELL, b. Abt. 1853; d. Abt. 1928, St. Columban,.

Notes for WILLIAM PURCELL:
1930, March 31st, Declaration of Death and Heirship by Lawrence Purcell
for the estate of the late William Purcell who died about 15 months ago,
without no issue and without no will and single, left to his sole heir,
Lawrence Purcell his brother lots 134, 135, and 136 about 300 Acres, in
witness by M. John Purcell, gentlement of the City of Montreal. (Which
John could this be?)

iii. CATHERINE PURCELL, b. November 01, 1848, From Census Record.

Notes for CATHERINE PURCELL:
1871 Census of St. Columban, Lots 134, 135, 136 St. Columban Deux
Montagnes, Lawrence Purcell age 50 born Ireland, Mary age 25, Patrick age
23, James age 20, Lawrence age 16 (all born in Ireland), William age 13 born
in Quebec, Catherine age 11 quebec. William and Catherine are going to
School, Lawrence and Mary can not write, Mary can read. 200 Acres with 3
barns, 2 cars wagons or sleds, 2 Ploughs, 100 acres improved, 30 in Pasture,
100 Bushels oats, 10 acres potatoes, 50 acres Hay, 1 Horse over 3, 3 Milk
cows, 3 Other horned Cattle, 14 Sheep, 3 Swine, 4 Sheep slaughtered, 4
Swind, 200 Pounds of Butter, 40 Pounds of Wool, 38 Yards homemade
Cloth, 4 Cords of Tan Bark, 30 Cords fire wood. Year of immigration would
have to be about 1858?

1881 Census of St. Columban, Deux Montagnes lots 134, 135, and 136, Lawrence
Purcell age 57, William age 23, Catherine 21, James 40 born Quebec?? James is
now 10 years older than the 1871 Census and Lawrence is only 7 years older and is
now Widowed??

1872, Lawrence Purcell purchased lot 134, Cote St. George from Joseph
Hart and gave to son William on the 3rd of May 1888.

1888: Lawrence gives lot 134 of St. George concession to his SON William May 8th,
Deed of Fith? ; also lots 135 and 136, and to the daughters of the donor Mary Purcell
and Kate Purcell to each of them the sum of 100 dollars if they want it not the donee will
keep it and make his benefit of it. If the donee leaves the place of he will not have the
right of manging the farm without the consent of the donor by writing. The parties have
declared not to be able to singn thier name.

9. iv. PATRICK PURCELL, b. Ireland - Per Census, Fathers Place of Birth - England; d. Juli 03, 1901,
Adams, Berkshire County, Massachusettes.
v. LAWRENCE PURCELL, m. CATHERINE MEDLAR.

Generation No. 4

8. THOMAS4 PURCELL (JOHN3, PATRICK2, 11) was born 1874 in Quebec, Canada, and died April 28, 1958
in Quebec, Canada. He married MARY JANE MACCALLUM in Quebec, Canada, daughter of DUNCAN
MACCALLUM and JANE CALQUHOUN. She was born April 30, 1876 in Quebec, Canada, and died Oktober
02, 1966 in Quebec, Canada.

Notes for THOMAS PURCELL:
1901: Census of Argenteuil, Dist. 137, sub dist G, Harrington: Thomas
Purcell (head) born May 1st, 1874 age 27, Mary J. wife 30th ??? 1872, Son
Oliver 20th Aug, 1895, Ernest born March 24, 1898 age 4, Alice born Aug
24, 1899 age 1, and Micheal (Bro of Tho), born Oct. ??, 1879 age 22
Lodger. Thomas is listed as a “Tailor” working at trade in Home, He and
Michael Speaks English & French can not read and write, Mary J. does
not speak French. Living near Thomas Colquhoun , David and Mary
Colquhoun and their kids: William, Archie, Stewart, and Heather, and
John and Sarah Colquhoun and their kids Eliz, Dora, Gina, as well as the
Duncan McRae family and the Huttons.

Never found a Birth or Baptismal record for Thomas. His marriage record states "No Parents
Mentioned"??

Children of THOMAS PURCELL and MARY MACCALLUM are:
i. LUCY ISABELLE5 PURCELL, b. März 21, 1911, Baptized by Rev. Baugh in Parish of Arundel; d.
Februar 21, 1989, Montreal, Quebec; m. ALFRED JAMES LEON MCKENNA, Juni 02, 1932, St. James
the Apostle Anglican Church, Montreal.
ii. ROBER ALLEN PURCELL (BOBBY), b. März 03, 1917; d. August 23, 1995.
iii. THOMAS PURCELL, b. Februar 20, 1904; d. 1968, Cabin Fire of smoke inhalation / heart attack.

More About THOMAS PURCELL:
Burial: Glen of Harrington Cemetary

iv. ALICE PURCELL, b. August 01, 1889; d. Oktober 04, 1985; m. SKATES SMITH, Juni 16, 1962; b.
April 17; d. 1970.

More About ALICE PURCELL:
Burial: With Skates in Calumet Cemetary

v. PERCY JOHN PURCELL, b. April 22, 1913; d. Mai 18, 1981; m. ELINOR GORRILL, 1938.
vi. VERNON PURCELL, b. August 02, 1905; d. August 28, 1979.
vii. ERNEST PURCELL, b. März 23, 1897; d. Oktober 31, 1981.

More About ERNEST PURCELL:
Burial: Arundle Cemetary

viii. OLIVER PURCELL, b. August 17, 1895; d. Juni 11, 1980; m. (1) ALMA WILLIAMS; m. (2) EVA
BAILEY MOORE; d. September 10, 1964, Lakeview.

More About EVA BAILEY MOORE:
Burial: Arundle Cemetary

ix. MARY GRACE PURCELL, b. November 10, 1902, ,; d. März 06, 1920, Of Influenza at Montreal
General Hospital.

More About MARY GRACE PURCELL:
Burial: Glen of Harrington Cemetary

x. BIRDIE EVELYN PURCELL, b. Dezember 18, 1908; d. Dezember 23, 1914, Of Diptheria after the
family was Quarantined.

9. PATRICK4 PURCELL (LAWRENCE3, LAWRENCE2, 11) was born in Ireland - Per Census, Fathers Place of
Birth - England, and died Juli 03, 1901 in Adams, Berkshire County, Massachusettes. He married ANNA
MCCABE, daughter of GEORGE MCCABE and MARY TIERNEY. She was born April 1845 in Scotland- per
Census, and died März 05, 1908 in Bellvue Cemetary , Adams from Moore Ancestry File.

Pittsfield, MASS> Deaths from 1886 to 1941
PURCELL, Anna, April 3, 1920, age 28 yrs. 11 mos. 27 dys. (124 Linden)
Catherine (Cronin), Jan. 16, 1914, age 84 (45 High)
Edward H., Nov. 9, 1891, age 63
Honora (Connors), Jan. 31, 1909, age 70 (124 Linden)
John, Dec.14, 1911, age 74 (124 Linden)
John, Aug. 25, 1932, age 89 yrs. 28 dys. (8 South)
Joseph P., Sept. 20, 1932, age 54 (63 Boylston)
Mary, March 21, 1930, age 81 (16 Lincoln)
Thomas Edwin, March 28, 1912, age 18 yrs. 5 mos. 17 dys. (112 Onota)

Great Barrington, Mass., 1894 to 1909 (Berkshire County)
Purcell , Jeffrey on 17 Feb 1896 At Age 76 yrs

Census Year 1900
Microfilm Roll #631
State Massachusettes
County Berkshire
Supervisor's District 115
Enumeration District 21
Enumerator Albert L. Bower
Birth Birth Yrs
#Living
Father's Mother's Mos Farm/
Pg# Ln# St Hou# Dw# Fam# Last Name First Name Relation Color Sex Month
Year Age
S/M/W/D Mar. #Children Children Birth place Birth place Birth place Yr Im Yrs/US Nat
Occupation
unempl. Sch Read Write Eng? Home Own? Home? Sch# Remarks
(1) (2) (3) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11)
(12)
(13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24)
(25) (26)
(27) (28)

. . .
28-B 78 Burt Street 14 52 54 PURCELL Patrick head . M May **** 5*
M
24 . . Ireland England England . . . Day Laborer 7 .
no no
yes R . H . .
28-B 79 Burt Street 14 52 54 PURCELL Anna wife W F April 1845 54
M
24 * 8 Scotland Ireland Ireland . . . . . . yes
no yes
. . . . .
28-B 80 Burt Street 14 52 54 PURCELL Lawrence son W M Feb 1872
28 S
. . . Massachusettes Ireland Scotland . . . Hostler 0 .
yes yes
yes . . . . .
28-B 81 Burt Street 14 52 54 PURCELL James son W M Feb 1877 23
S .
. . Massachusettes Ireland Scotland . . . Cotton Mill Weaver 0 .
yes yes
yes . . . . .
28-B 82 Burt Street 14 52 54 PURCELL Anna daughter W F Mar 1881
19 S
. . . Massachusettes Ireland Scotland . . . Cotton Mill Spinner 0 .
yes
yes yes . . . . .
28-B 83 Burt Street 14 52 54 PURCELL Ellen daughter W F Oct 1883 16
S .
. . Massachusettes Ireland Scotland . . . Cotton Mill Inspector 0 .
yes yes
yes . . . . .
28-B 84 Burt Street 14 52 54 PURCELL Dessie daughter W F Feb 1884
15 S
. . . Massachusettes Ireland Scotland . . . Cotton Mill Spooler 0 .
yes
yes yes . . . . .
28-B 85 Burt Street 14 52 54 PURCELL Agnes daughter W F July 1886
14 S
. . . Massachusettes Ireland Scotland . . . School . 9
yes yes
yes . . . . .
28-B 86 Burt Street 14 52 54 PURCELL Maggie daughter W F Mar 1888
11 S
. . . Massachusettes Ireland Scotland . . . School . 9
yes yes
yes

Census 1880 -Adams, Berkshire, Mass. I Believe this is the correct Patrick judging by the below record
of Naturalizations??? The Census above is close but look shows the Parents of Patrick were from
England??? The other Children; Lawrence and John, ect., dates seem to match up???

Patrick age 28 born in Ireland - both parents born in Ireland
Ann age 33 born in Scottland - both parents born in Scotland
Lawrence age 9
Mary age 6
John age 5
James age 3
Kate age 1 Born in Scotland???

I searched the index to naturalizations that occurred in all of the Massachusetts courts
between 1790 and 1906 and I found one Patrick Purcell in Adams, Massachusetts. He was
born on March 16, 1851 in Kilkenney County and arrived through Rouses Point, New
York on November 3, 1868. If this is the correct person and you wish a copy of the
record, please submit a check or money order for a fee of $10.00, made payable to the
National Archives Trust Fund. our address is: National Archives-Northeast Region, 380
Trapelo Road, Waltham, MA 02452

I went back and looked at the Lawrence Purcell file from Moore:
Lawrence born 1920 in Ireland died Feb. 1902 in St. Columban- his father is listed as Bridget
Sullivan born
1810 (that would make the Father 10 yrs. old when he bore Lawrence), The Patrick son of Lawrence
could be a
good connection or leed since he is mention as living in Adams in 1890 when he signs off on his brother
Williams estate???
Lawrence, Married Catherine Flinn or Flynn born 1823 in Ireland
Had: Patrick born 1847 in Kilkenny died March 5, 1901 in Adams
He married : Anna McCabe born April 4, 1845 in Scotland
on Dec. 11, 1870 in Adams Mass.
Both burried in Bellvue Cemetary in Adams.
Her Parents: George McCabe and Mary Tierney of Providence Rhode Island???

ST. Gregoire & ST Patrick RC Church Rawdon, Quebec
Catherine 1843 12 25 12 24 Patrick, Margaret Gill (Patrick
Purcell, Catharine Flynn)

Census 1891 Montreal - St. Mary’s Ward Dist. 90, Sub. G, Div2, Pg. 33

Lawrence 40 - Storeman
Anne born in Ireland
Margaret age 39,
Catherine ate 36
Mary Bracken age 19

District 95, Sub. L, Div 7, family #28:

Lawrence widow age 57 born Ireland 1834
William age 23 born Que 1868
Catherine age 21 “ 1870
James age 40 born “ 1851

living next door to:

family #29:

Patrick age 70 born in Ireland 1821
Mary age 50 born in Que 1841
Lawrence age 10 “ 1881
Patrick age 8 “ 1873

Four pages down:

Jane Purcell age 70 born Ireland 1821
Mary Phelan age 63 born “ 1828

Burial: März 05, 1901, Bellvue Cemetary , Adams from Moore Ancestry File

Notes for ANNA MCCABE:
Birth date and Place and last name from the Eliz Moore Family File.

Children of PATRICK PURCELL and ANNA MCCABE are:
i. LAWRENCE5 PURCELL, b. 1872, Massachusettes.
ii. JAMES PURCELL, b. 1877, Massachusettes.
iii. ANNA PURCELL, b. 1881, Massachusettes.
iv. ELLEN PURCELL, b. 1883, Massachusettes.
v. DESSIE PURCELL, b. 1884, Massachusettes.
vi. AGNES PURCELL, b. 1886, Massachusettes.
vii. MAGGIE PURCELL, b. 1888, Massachusettes.

Purcell’s living in Montreal in 1891- (From Directory) and
some other Area’s

Alfred Purcell - Firemen
Andrew Purcell- Foremen
Charles - Laborer There is a Charles burried in the same section & Concession in Cote
D’ Neige
Miss F. Purcell-
Francois Purcell- living in 1861 in Vaudreuil
George Purcell - Farmer in St. Alphonse
Henry Purcell- Carter
J.P. Purcell - Customs officer
James Purcell - Boilermaker
James Purcell - Carter
James Purcell in Beauhamois
John Purcell living in 1861 in Deau Montagnes
John Purcell - Grocer Could be Storemen as listed in Census from Above
Johnd D. Purcell - Doctor advocate
John P. Purcell - Customs Officer
Lawrence Purcell - Storeman
Michael Purcell- Laborer
Michael Purcell
Patrick Purcell, living in Deux Montagnes
Patrick Purcell -Grocer in St. Alphonse
T. H., Purcell, Clerk
Thomas Purcell, living in Deux Montagnes
Thomas Purcell - Storeman

The only part I found that could be of interest is from the 1861 census that listed the
following: Mary Purcell age 18; John Purcell age 16 laborer; Patrick Purcell age 12; James
age 9; Lawrence age 7; William age 4 born in Lower Canada (Patents would have to
immigrated around 1856 why are there no parents listed?) and Catherine age 2. Note after
Mary born in Ireland. Then goes on to list more information. So far I can't seem to find the
census on line. It did not list what census the information is from. I did find at LDS a
listing that placed him in the Ile De Montreal at some point It listed his birth correctly as
April 2, 1844, which we believe to be correct and his death in California in 1923. He died
just a few weeks short of his golden wedding.

My grand father John Baptist Purcell must have immigrated to Michigan around 1862 or
early 1863. He would have been about 17 or 18 years old. He enlisted in the Michigan
army from Saginaw, Michigan in 1863 and served in the Civil War. He married Mary
Dubry (our spelling also spelled Dubruel) in Wright County Minnesota. We have the
wedding certificate from that state. This is interesting as their were many Purcell’s in
Ireland who were Priests???

I checked the marriage of Catherine Hackett (20 Nov 1899 at St Patrick's,
Montreal) because there seemed to be a little confusion about whether she
married Patrick or John (sons of John Purcell and Ann Ryan). The photo of
the page (Folio 62) is faint but readable and it was John that she
married.They may be the couple, along with his siblings,etc. in
Concession'00275', Section 'N' of Notre Dame des Neiges Cemetery. It might
be worth following up those burial dates for death records.

The Thomas above who married Bridit Lawlor is very interesting from the following
Gowran Records: Also we have a Patrick Purcell who married a Mary
Mooney 11-02-1869 in St. Columban dau of Edmund and Brigit Power??
Patrick Purcell James Hara? 06-03-1811 Patrick
Anne Lawlor Mary Hare?

Patrick Purcell James Muldowney 01-12,1813 Bridget
Anne Lawlor Mary Murphy

James Flealy Catherine Flealy 03-08-1814 Bridget
Mary Lawlor (illigitamate Daughter)

Patrick Purcell David ? 12-22-1825 James
Anne Lawlor Margaret Walsh

James Purcell ? 10-27-1812 Margaret
Bridget Flealy ?

James Purcell Michael Corrigan 10-07-1816 William
Bridget Flealy Catherine Corrigan 04-07-1816

Database
Record # 86917
=======================================
Year of Record: April, 1901
Name of Person: John P. Purcell
Colour: white
Sex: male
Relationship to Head of Household: head
Marital Status: widowed
Birthdate: 4 December 1825
Age at Last Birthday: 75
Place of Birth: Ireland
Year of Immigration to Canada: 1850
Racial or Tribal Origin: Irish
Religion: Roman Catholic
Profession or Occupation: customs official
Earnings from Trade or Occup: [not given]
Mother Tongue: English
Address: 108 St. Famille, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Summary of others listed in the household is as follows:
Name Relationship to Head Age
---------------------------------------------------------
Purcell, John D. son 45
, Gerald C. son 27
, Clara A. daughter 29
Plouffe, Melina? servant 24
---------------------------------------------------------
Source: 1901 Census of Canada - Province of Quebec,
Reel No. T-6536, District No. 177 - Montreal, Sub-
District: A - 34, St. Laurent Ward, page 9, (National
Archives of Canada, Ottawa)

Parish of Gowran, Kilkenny Notes
1809-1881 Diocese of Ossory- Baptisms & Marriages
LDS Film # 0926194
Baptisms & Marriages:
Chronological:

Parents: Sponsors: Date: Childs Name:

Michael Purcell & Catherine Mulloney dau. Maria 1824 Doonane, Kilkenny

Pierce Purcell & Mary Kavanagh son Thomas, June 11, 1864, Castlecomber,
Kilkenny

Lawrence Purcell & Catherine Fitzgerald
Mary Muldowney: Mary Brophy 12-12-1809 Patrick

William Purcell Nancy Curran 11-16-1810 Elinor
Mary Forestell

Lawrence Purcell ? Murphy
Mary Muldowney Mary Murphy 11-01-1810 Patrick

Michael Purcell Elinor Murphy 02-18-1811 Anne
Mary Cartay??

Patrick Purcell James Hara? 06-03-1811 Patrick
Anne Lawlor Mary Hare?

Joseph Purcell James Dunn 05-20-1811 John
Mary Neal Mary White

James Purcell ? 10-27-1812 Margaret
Bridget Flealy ?

James Purcell ? “
Bridget ? ? Marriage

Patrick Purcell James Muldowney 01-12,1813 Bridget
Anne Lawlor Mary Murphy

Lawrence Purcell James Phelan 02-15-1813 Elizabeth
Mary Muldowney Margaret Murphy

James Flealy Catherine Flealy 03-08-1814 Bridget
Mary Lawlor (illigitamate Daughter)

Lawrence Purcell Wm. Hefferman 04-07-1814 James
Mary Muldowney Bridget M----?

James Purcell James Cocoran 04-17-1814 Catherine
Bridget Flealy Catherine Purcell

James Purcell Michael Corrigan 10-07-1816 William
Bridget Flealy Catherine Corrigan 04-07-1816

Pierce Purcell William Byrne 01-19-1817 James
Mary Heany Mary Kiefer (Place; Kilmaecorn)

Michael Purcell Arty Purcell 01-27-1819 Bridget
Mary Whelan Judy Carroll

John Purcell Edward Phelan 11-26-1818 Richard
Mary Phelan Judy Kinsella (Place: Ballyquirk)

James Muldowney ? Muldowney 02-14-1821 Arty
Mary Ryan Eliza Purcell

Patrick Purcell Thomas Murphy 1822 Bridget
Nancy Murphy Bridget Bryne

Michael Purcell Mathew Dormer ?-24-1822 Mary
Mary Phelan Ellin Phelan

Patrick Purcell Thomas Murphy 09-22-1822 Mary
Ann Murphy Bridget Byrne

Patrick Purcell Thomas Carney 10-25-1823 John
Nancy Murphy Mary Nolan

Phillip Purcell ? Breen 01-08-1823 William
Margaret Breen Nellie Nolan

James Purcell John Phelan 05-20-1823 Betty
Margaret Carey Judy Kealy

Pierce Purcell John Mullines 05-29-1823 Mary
Honora Cody Judy Maher

James Purcell Charles Carter 05-10-1823 Mary
Mary Phelan Mary Kinscella (Res: Ballyquirk)

Tobias Purcell William Purcell 02-19-1823 Marriage
Mary Walsh Margaret Phelan

Patrick Purcell David ? 12-22-1825 James
Anne Lawlor Margaret Walsh

Patrick Purcell James Hayden 06-28-1825 Marriage
Mary Hayden Catherine Kialy

John Purcell John ? 02-20-1827 Marriage
Margaret Nowlan Mary Nowlan

Patrick Purcell John Daly 11-01-1828 Elinor
Mary Kialy Margaret Kieger

James Meany Patrick Purcell 05-20-1833 Marriage
Mary Purcell Mary Purcell

Patrick Purcell ? 02-20-1838 Marriage
Cathereine Kialy

Patrick Quinn Thomas Purcell 07-06-1840 Marriage
Mary Bryan Bridget Dollan

Martin Murphy Michael Murphy 02-18-1849 Marriage
Margaret Purcell Bridget Nolan

John Purcell Patrick Purcell 1877 Marriage
Catherine Walsh Ellen Purcell

TRADITIONAL IRISH NAMING PATTERN:

First son was named after the father's father
Second son was named after the mother's father
Third son was named after the father
Fourth son was named after the father's oldest brother
Fifth son was named after the father's second oldest brother
or the mother's oldest brother

First daughter was named after the mother's mother
Second daughter was named after the father's mother
Third daughter was named after the mother
Fourth daughter was named after the mother's oldest sister
Fifth daughter was named after the mother's second oldest
sister or the father's oldest sister
It is not an aberration. The naming convention was;
First Son after paternal Grandfather
2nd Son after maternal Grandfather
3rd Son after Father
4th and subsequent Son's after next eldest Uncle
The exact same convention was used for girls, with Grandmothers and Aunts
used.
This convention was modified when the resulting name would mean that 3
people in one family had the same name. The superstition was that in the
case of 3 having the same name, one would die. When one of the people having
the name died, the name was reused on the next born child.

Gary,
In the placenames of County Kilkenny I don't find a Naystown or Franstown, I
do ind a Frenystown , 877 acre townsland , the Freny's homestead, in Gowran
Barony, Tiscoffin Civil Parish. This civil Parish is almost directly east of Kilkenny
City, about 10 miles from the County Carlow boarder, the city of Gowran is near the
townsland. If you think this is the correct townsland, I can go to a more detailed map
and get a more exact location.
Larry Phalin

notes found in "THE IRISH GENEALOGIST" VOL. 4 NO. 4
MARRIAGE LICENCE BONDS EXTRACTED FROM THE CARRIGAN MSS.
KILKENNY

1672 THEOBALD PURCELL, CLONE, AND MARIA STOTESBERRY OF THE
SAME PLACE

1730/31 MARCH 1st FRANCIS MANDEVILLE, COOLGRANGE, CO. KILK., GENT.
AND CATHERINE PURCELL, COOLGRANGE, PARISH OF TASCOFFIN,
SPINSTER, Sec: BG and Barnaby Purcell, Kilkenny, Esq.

1742 SEPT. 24th TOBIAS PURCELL, Knockroe, Co. Kilk., gent, and MARGARET
CLARKE, Lisdowney. Papists. Sec: BG, Patrick Kennedy, Kilk. City, merchant, and
Henry Shee, Irishtown, Kilk. City, merchant

1746, APRIL 9 -- JAMES MURPHY, Thurles, Co. Tipp., farmer and CATHERINE
PURCELL (spinster), dau. of JAMES PURCELL, Knockroe, Parish of Aghoure, Co.
Kilk., farmer, Papists. Sec: BG and Thomas Greene, Fooksrath, Co. Kilk, gent

1746, AUG 30th WILLIAM PURCELL, Ballyragget, gent, and ANNE PURCELL,
Ballyragget, spinster. Papists. Sec: BG and James Huish, Kilk. City, merchant

1763, FEB. 5th - JAMES PURCELL, Killaloe, Co. Kilk., farmer, and BRIDGET
BRENNAN, Parish of Kilderry, spinster. Papists. Sec: BG, Darby Brennan,
Sandfordscourt, and Richard Fleming, Poulgower, farmer

1767 APR. 30th - JOHN PURCELL, Kilk City, merchant, and MARY SCOTT, St. John's
Parish, spinster, Papists.

1767, JUNE 2nd - DOMINIC SCOTT, Kilk. City, gent. and ANN PURCELL, St. Mary's
Parish, spinster, Papists.

1813, MAY 1st - THOMAS HARTFORD, Kilk. City, Esq., and ELIZABETH
PURCELL, St. John's Parish, spinster.

KILKENNY ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

Kilkenny, Ireland.
METALWORKERS, IRONMONGERS ETC.

Name of metalworker Date Information KEY TO SOURCES

DOYLE & PURCELL 1809 Doyle & Purcell, founders, John Street, having completed
their foundry, will be supplied with all kinds of cast iron and metalwork for mills and
machinery. Also for farming. JNL 13.5.1809
DOYLE & PURCELL 1810 Partnership of Nicholas Purcell and John Doyle in metal and
brass foundry dissolved following death of Nicholas Purcell. JNL 2.6.1810

Marriages, St. Mary’s

Michael Purcell & Jane Shee

Baptisms:

Patrick Purcell 3-11-1804 St. Johns: Widow Purcell alias Kelly

Charles Byrne and Widow Kate Byrne marriage John Street.

Patrick Purcell and Bridget Kealy baptised Patrick 3-22-1807

Kilmacow Parish Births - County Kilkenny
1874 MICHAEL PURCELL 30.4.1874 PHILIP PURCELL ANASTATIA WALSH
GAULSTOWN 4.5.1874 SUB COND JOSEPH CAREY PETER CLONAGOOSE
BRIDGET PURCELL MICHAEL CLONGOOSE F.SP=MRS JOSEPH

1872 MARGARET PURCELL 27.12.1872 PHILIP PURCELL ANASTATIA
WALSH GAULSTOWN 28.12.1872 REV.JOHN PURCELL MICHAEL
GAULSTOWN MARY WALSH EDMOND TINLOUGH REV.PURCELL = PRIEST
AT ST.JOHNS KILKENNY
A mural in the yard wall has:
"Sacred to the memory of the Rev. Philip Purcell, late indefatigable Pastor
of this Parish, who, from the liberal donations of its union, built and
ornamented this chapel, in the year 1791, on ground cheerfully bestowed
by John Burke O'Flaherty Esqr. May the Lord have mercy on his soul.
Amen."
Here lie interred the remains of the Reverend Philip Purcell, P.P. of
Rathdowney, Skerke, and Donamore, who, on the 3rd of January 1792, changed
this mortal for an immortal life, at Mt. Oliver, in the 41st year of his age……
This chapel was thrown down and another built on its foundations, in 1791 by
Father Purcell, P.P.

REV. PHILIP PURCELL, son of William, was born in Clougharinka, Muckalee, in
1751. He was ordained by Dr. Troy, in the Parish chapel of St. John's, Kilkenny, June
13th, 1778. Having been C.C. Thomastown, he was collated to Rathdowney, Sept. 29th,
1783. He died at his residence, Mount Oliver House, Jany. 3rd, 1792, and is buried in
Errill
REV. MARTIN CODY, son of Oliver Cody and Mary Purcell, was born in
Kilmadimoge, Muckalee, in 1798. He studied in Burrell's Hail; entered Maynooth
for Humanity, Aug. 30th, 1819; and was ordained with his class-fellow and
predecessor, at Pentecost, 1825. He was first on the mission in Birr, Diocese of
Killaloe. His Curacies in Ossory were Danesfort in 1829, Mooncoin,
Dunnamaggan, Freshford, and then Rathdowney from Oct., 1834 to 1850, when
he was appointed P.P. of the Parish. He died June 6th, 1860, and is buried in
the parish chapel.
Examples whereby sisters received bequests of livestock include the 1682 will of Lucas
Brenan of County Kilkenny who left his sister a horse and the 1699-1700 will of Elinor
Kelly of Church Clara, County Kilkenny, who bequeathed two heifers to her sister
(Carrigan unpublished: 104; Walton 1988: 513). Note that a woman is making the bequest
in the latter case -- she also left "cows etc. that are in her brother Peter Purcell's hands to
her brother-in-law George Kelly".
Daniel Moylan Hallinan received Clerical Tonsure, Sunday, May 23, 1841, at the hands of
Bishop J(ohn) B(aptist) Purcell, on the same day the four minor orders were conferred on
him by Purcell in St. Peter's Cathedral, Cincinnati; subdeaconship on Ascension Thursday,
May 5, 1842, and Deaconship on May 6, 1842 at St. Martin, Brown County. On May 26
1842, Feast of Corpus Christi, Purcell ordained Hallinan priest. Clergman present: Father
(Edward) Collins, Father (John) Henni, Father (Edward) Purcell, Father Charles
McCallion. Hallinan said first Mass and preached first sermon on Sunday June 19, 1842
Hallinan was born near Mallow, County Cork, Ireland, September 29, 1827 of Catholic
parents. As a youth, he desired to become a priest; an education for the priesthood not
being obtainable in Ireland, he journeyed to the Little Seminary of St. Sulpice, Paris. Here
he acquired a knowledge of French, and his class in the study of the humanities.
Completing philosophy, he began the study of theology at the Grand Seminary of St.
Sulpice, Paris. While still a student he was introduced to Archbishop (John Baptist)
Purcell then on his way to Rome to receive the Pallium. Purcell induced Hallinan to come
to Cincinnati, once he had completed studies for a Doctorate of theology. Hallinan
completed theological studies in 1851, was ordained and after a brief visit to Ireland, came
to Cincinnati where he became rector of the new Seminary.
In the year 1800, February twenty six, I baptized John Purcell legitimate son of Edmund
and Joanna Purcell, sponsors Thomas Purcell and Catherine Connell. Testified to on the
24th day of June, 1818. (Note follows) This testifies that John Baptist Purcell has been
authentically confirmed, and there are no impediments to his faith. William Coppinger,
Bishop of Cloyne and Ross; June 27, 1818.
(Photostatic copy from the Archives of the College of Mt. St. Joseph, Delhi, Ohio).

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions