Search for content in message boards

The Purdy Family of Westchester County, New York (Rye and White Plains)

Replies: 30

The Purdy Family of Westchester County, New York (Rye and White Plains)

Nancy Higgons (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2004 1:56PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Rurdy, Hooker, Smith, Crasto, Fanning, Leetes, Budd, Fanning
Dear Purdy Relatives,

The Purdy family is very well known in Westchester County History - there are several places in Rye, New York (birthplace of Barbara Pierce Bush) and White Plains, New York (The Revolutionary War "Battle of White Plains). They family was a very early Colonial Family and has ties to Fairfield, Ct. very early on, and to many other famous Colonial Families in the Northeast. There are probably many Purdy families around as it is a fairly common English name - but the ones the I am related to are from Fairfield, CT. in Fairfield County (where George H.W. Bush's family is from) adn then later on Rye and White Plains. The story of this family is legendary in these parts (I live in Westchester County) and their Colonial Story is a very proud and extensive one -

Nancy Higgons -

P.S. See the previous posting to see my connection -
The other names in the family are probably some that you will most certainily recognize if you are part of this tree -
Higgons
Crasto
Fanning
Smith
Hooker**
Leetes*
Budd

- The list is so long that I can't name them all - but they all resided in Westchester or Fairfield County or Hartford, Ct at some point.

* The Reverend Thomas Hooker- Official Founder of The State of Connecticut and the Founder of Hartford, CT.

** John Leetes - The Leetes Family married into the Hookers and John Leetes is a former early Governor of Ct. He is from the Branford, Madsion, Westbrook area. Those towns were settled very early!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Nancy Higgons 11 Nov 2004 8:56PM GMT 
Alan Gerard Hartman 16 Jan 2005 6:44AM GMT 
Nancy Higgons 24 Jan 2005 3:22PM GMT 
Roberta423 15 Aug 2007 1:43PM GMT 
laurel19511 27 Jan 2005 11:43PM GMT 
Nancy Higgons 28 Jan 2005 2:23PM GMT 
Csenior 24 Jul 2005 10:36PM GMT 
DougMcGlinche... 19 Sep 2009 6:15PM GMT 
tom0153 28 Oct 2011 9:09PM GMT 
tom0153 28 Oct 2011 9:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions