Search for content in message boards

Putman, Kinnan, Martin

Replies: 10

Re: Putman, Kinnan, Martin

Posted: 25 Nov 2009 1:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Putman, Martin, Kinnan, Rolphe
Hi,

I have just discovered a "gift" for the Holidays!

I think I have found who were the parents of Sarah Martin-Putman [1792-1861] who died in Delhi, Ontario, and was the wife of John Putman! They had a son named Mulford Martin Putman.

Sarah Martin's parents seem to have been Mulford Martin and Betsy Rolphe of South Amboy, New Jersey.

The great connection, fact, is that in the 1810 New York Census, Peter Putman, the father of John Putman who married Sarah Martin, the husband of Sarah Kinnan, is listed next to Samuel, Jonathan, Robert, and Ephriam Rolfe!

The first three mentioned Rolphe's were sons of Ephriam Rolphe who was also the father of Betsy Rolphe [1767-], Mulford Martin's wife [1763-].

The Putman's and Rolphe's were then living in Ulysses, Seneca Co., NY, next to Joseph Cannan [Kinnan]. Peter Putman married Sarah Kinnan, a relative of Joseph Kinnan.

John [Peterse] Putman, and his wife Sarah Martin if they were married then and were in the household of Peter Putman, in 1810, lived next to Sarah's uncle's, [aunt's?], and grandparents !!! the Rolphe's.

I've been tracing the ancestry of Thomas Martin who was the husband of Elizabeth Ayers, the daughter of Obediah Ayers of early Hackettstown, New Jersey. Because Victor Pottman/Putman was a resident of the Hackettstown area about 1760, I thought that his grandson John [Peterse] Putman might have married a descendant of Thomas Martin. I think I am right.

It seems that Mulford Martin [1763-] who married Betsy Rolphe [1767-] was a son of Thomas Martin [1720-] and Elizabeth Ayers [1720-]. Thomas was the son of Peter Martin [1693-] and Marie [Thomase] Mulford [1695-].

Mulford Martin and Betsy Rolphe likely had Rolph [1805-?], Mulford [1795-?], and Sarah [1792-] Martin.

Rolphe [Ralph] and Mulford Martin are listed in South Amboy, New Jersey, in the 1830 Census.

Everything seems to fit!

Happy Holidays!

Mark R. Putnam
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mark Putnam 25 Nov 2009 8:07AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions