Search for content in message boards

Putman, Kinnan, Martin

Replies: 10

Putman, Kinnan, Martin

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 10:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Putman, Kinnan, Martin
I've been working on my Putman -- Kinnan line with possibly some good results.

Victor Pottman, or Putman, the father of Peter Pottman, or Putman, married Margaret Wies. [I wonder it she might not have been a Kwik and sister to Thomas Quick].

About 1760, David Putman it appears moved from the Upper Mount Bethel, PA, area to near Hackettstown, Warren Co., NJ, which is across the Musconectcong River from Schooley's Mountain, Morris Co., NJ. It was near Hackettstown, it seems, that David Putman became indebted to Mathias Barber, who died about 1764 in "Old" Hardwick, NJ, which included Hackettstown, NJ.

Also, Mathias Barber and James Martin were surities for a liquor license about this time [1764].

Across the river from Hackettstown at Schooley's Mountain lived John Kinnan who later had a son named Jonathan Kinnan who married Anne Salmon. The Kinnan's married into the Caskey family.

Just south of Hackettstown lived James Martin near Beattystown, NJ. It appears his descendants also married into the Caskey family. James Martin's son Stewart Martin owned a tavern at Beattystown during the Revolutionary War.

It seems that in this time frame, 1764, that the Putman's, Kinnan's, and possibly even Martin's met. John Kinnan seems to have removed to Wantage, NJ, where Victor Putman's son Peter married a daughter of John Kinnan [and Mary Sutton] named Sarah Kinnan.

So, Sarah Kinnan Putman's linage would be John Kinnan and Mary Sutton of Schooley's Mountain, Morris Co., NJ, and then Thomas Kinnan and Mary Bedell of Long Hill, Morris Co., NJ.

Peter and Sarah Kinnan Putman's son John Putman married Sarah Martin, reportedly. I am trying to determine if Sarah Marin might be related to James Martin of Beattystown, NJ.

James Martin may have married Anne Drummund. John Kinnan's brother Joseph Kinnan it seems married a Ruth Drummond.

I find it interesting that a James Martin and Christopher Vought were witnesses in the Will of Peter Clover about 1755 in Lebanon, NJ. Christopher Vought was a brother-in-law of Victor Putman. Christopher married Cornelia Putman, Portman, the daugher of David Pottman, Potman, or Putman.

Mark R. Putnam
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mark Putnam 11 Nov 2009 5:22AM GMT 
Mark Putnam 11 Nov 2009 5:32AM GMT 
manru101 11 Nov 2009 4:02PM GMT 
Bill Putman 11 Nov 2009 7:16PM GMT 
manru101 12 Nov 2009 1:49AM GMT 
Mark Putnam 12 Nov 2009 2:23AM GMT 
Bill Putman 12 Nov 2009 1:58PM GMT 
Mark Putnam 12 Nov 2009 2:34AM GMT 
Bill Putman 12 Nov 2009 11:14AM GMT 
manru101 13 Nov 2009 4:22AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions