Search for content in message boards

The Putman [Pootman] Family and the De Plater Family in Europe

Replies: 5

Re: The Putman [Pootman] Family and the De Plater Family in Europe

Posted: 24 Jul 2013 11:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jul 2013 12:03PM GMT
Surnames: Pootman, Putman, Poet, Poit, Pot
I find an interesting possible relationship between two towns originally called Hemarithi.

Hemmerde, Germany, was first called Villa Hamarithi [in pago Borahtron, in the region of the Bruktere].

Hamarithi is the old name for both Nederhemert, The Netherlands, and Hemmerde, Germany, with “neder” meaning lower and Hamert and Hemmerde meaning it seems “Ford” or “Ford Gathering”.

The Broehl de Plater family was from the “The Ford Gathering”, West Hemmerde and Hemmerde, Germany, while Victor Pootman the ancestor of the American Putman family and we assume an apparent relative of the Broehl's, lived in Aalburg just across the Mass River from “The Lower Ford” or Nederhemert, The Netherlands.

This might be a coincidence, but why would both places originally be called Hamerithti?

There was a Victor Poet, Pot, or Poit, who lived in the 17th Century just north of Broehl Pond, West Hemmerde, Germany, in Flierich, Germany, who also may have been a relative of Victor Pootman.

Place names having the same root as Nederhemert and Hemmerde are Amersterdam, and Amerstel. I wonder it Hamm, Germany,might also have the same root.

I also wonder it the home of Victor Poit might not have been the town of Peddinghausen, which is just west of Flierich, Germany, and close to Hamm, Germany.

I understand Peddinghausen to mean Pit-house.

Thanks, for your information.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mark Putnam 18 Mar 2010 7:50PM GMT 
Mark Putnam 18 Mar 2010 8:14PM GMT 
Mark Putnam 4 Oct 2010 12:36AM GMT 
gwk404 23 Jul 2013 3:29AM GMT 
Mark Putnam 24 Jul 2013 5:56PM GMT 
gwk404 26 Jul 2013 11:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions